The Student Room Group

Stuck doing an a-level I never will pass, what are my options?

When I originally chose my a-levels I chose Business, IT and Economics. A few months later, I went to enrol in college after recieving my GCSE results. I was told by a teacher that I cannot do Business and Economics together because they are too similar. I then had around 10 seconds to choose a new a-level and for some reason I said sociology. I'm now 3 months into college and I'm getting E's and U's in a subject I didn't want to do and find far too complicated. I am tempted to drop out of college because of it and how hard I am finding it. In a last resort I've asked my tutor to change my teacher for the subject in hopes that a fresh face will be more helpful. It's far to late to change my a-level and apart from dropping out and doing my first year again I am really stuck on what my options are. :bawling:
You've sort of answered your own question here. You've said it's too late to change, and given you're 'only' doing 3 A levels you can't really drop Sociology and continue with two, as they wouldn't be much use. You've either got to just suck it up and try to see what you can enjoy from Sociology (and try harder to get decent marks) or drop out and reapply next year.
Tf... 10 seconds to choose? You could have taken however long you liked since it is YOUR A levels. But what's done is done. There is no other solution unless you drop out and reapply next year.

You can most likely drop Sociology, and pick up 3rd a level in your second year Although it'll be very difficult and stressful, it would solve your problem.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Try and stick it out until your AS exams and then resit Year 12 if your results aren't as good as you'd like. If you cannot stand going into your current college for much longer, it might be a good idea to drop out now, find some work/volunteering to do in the mean time and then enroll into a different college for the next academic year.
well if you know that there is another a-level that you could probably pass with little prep, you could look for a tuition center that would enter you into the exam and teach you the content. Although this would be very last minute and is very optimistic, you could try before giving up.(emphasis on try and optimistic)
It depends if you don't mind failing sociology, if not then don't try in that and just boost your other grades
You could after your AS exams if you do well in your other 2 you could do a full a level of a different subject while you are in year 13.
Reply 7
I know this is a thread that is 2 years old. I was in a similar position to you last year but the difference is it destroyed my mental health and as a result began struggling in everything 2 months before AS exams. School won’t let me drop it so I gave up after AS and didn’t do anything, just sat at home feeling sorry for myself.

Can I ask how old you were 2 years ago? What did you end up doing? Did you suck it up or give up?
This is super late, but anyone looking to this thread for advice in a similar situation - consider something like English lit, (we did work on unseen extracts till dec) so if your school does that system too, it shouldn't bee too difficult to join in

Quick Reply

Latest