Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hiya everyone,

I got an invited to a Skype interview for BA Design in Goldsmiths and I've heard various stories about the interview experience. Some say they're harsh and critical, some say the interview is laid-back and 'chill'.

Has anyone gone through the interview stage or do they have any knowledge about what to expect for the questions/attitude of the interviewer?

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Hey! Don't know if you've had your interview yet, but I had mine (a 'normal' non skype one) today and got told I have a place! They were so so lovely and laid back, really engaged with the work, weren't overly critical but still managed to challenge us about our work and make us think about it in different ways. Stu/Stuart Bannocks interviewed us, he was a total delight and made the whole thing really enjoyable. He asked us to pick a piece of work we wanted to talk about in depth, then he picked one, you talk through that and then we just talked about why we want to be on the course, what films we enjoy, things that have inspired us etc. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    It was really cool and rather unofficial. In the end I was basically told that I've got the place and I got my offer the next day

ReputationRep:
    I didn't get in The interview went really well and I thought I was for sure getting in but I recently got rejected. Asked for feedback and they said it 'seems' like I would suit a Graphics course rather than Design even though the guidelines said they welcome various types of work. I really wanted to go to Goldsmiths and study Design... I'm really upset now.

ReputationRep:
    I'm really sorry for you. I don't know how many people get in. My portfolio was also quite graphics-oriented, but during the interview I expressed the will to be more multi-disciplinary in the future.
    Maybe they were right? Look for a good graphics course!
    My first choice is Graphic Design in ECA

ReputationRep:
    I had an interview Wednesday just gone and I'm really nervous as I haven't heard back yet. I'm not sure if I should be worried as it seemed a lot of people heard back within a day or two after

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emily_tsharp)
    I had an interview Wednesday just gone and I'm really nervous as I haven't heard back yet. I'm not sure if I should be worried as it seemed a lot of people heard back within a day or two after
    When exactly did you have your interview? Was it via Skype?
    Maybe they didn't have time to process it all. I had mine on Skype around 12 and I got my reply the next day, just like my friend, but she didn't get in. I don't think that they give out offers first.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by natkaw)
    I'm really sorry for you. I don't know how many people get in. My portfolio was also quite graphics-oriented, but during the interview I expressed the will to be more multi-disciplinary in the future.
    Maybe they were right? Look for a good graphics course!
    My first choice is Graphic Design in ECA
    I just have no idea how it went so wrong. The guy even seems really interested in my portfolio and interview answers. Sure, I had quite a few graphic-based pieces in my portfolio but I tried showing that I have done various works. It was really hard too because I've never gotten the chance to study design before, only IB Art which is mostly painting, drawing and contextual studies, not design, so it's not like I had many design works I could have shared. I still tried to express my interest in pursuing various design disciplines like product design in my interview and PS... I even emphasized how I loved their Design programme because it would allow me to experiment with various design disciplines and pathways. I even included the fact that I have a small design business and everything... Its the only course in the uni involving design as well, I figured they facilitate all forms of design, including graphic design, apparently not.

Anyway, it's quite tough... my first university decision ever and it's a rejection from my first choice. I'm hoping for the best from my other choices, at least most of them are graphic design based.

I wish you all the best for the future Sorry for the rants! :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nikkib99)
    I just have no idea how it went so wrong. The guy even seems really interested in my portfolio and interview answers. Sure, I had quite a few graphic-based pieces in my portfolio but I tried showing that I have done various works. It was really hard too because I've never gotten the chance to study design before, only IB Art which is mostly painting, drawing and contextual studies, not design, so it's not like I had many design works I could have shared. I still tried to express my interest in pursuing various design disciplines like product design in my interview and PS... Its the only course in the uni involving design as well, I figured they facilitate all forms of design, including graphic design, apparently not.

Anyway, it's quite tough... my first university decision ever and it's a rejection from my first choice. I'm hoping for the best from my other choices, at least most of them are graphic design based.

I wish you all the best for the future. I'm genuinely happy for you, Goldsmiths is a great place
    Thank you! I don't have any other replies and Goldsmiths wasn't my first choice, but only because it's in London and I don't know if I will be able to afford it.
    If they have told you that you are more of a graphics person, then you should do great with your other choices, don't worry!
    I am also doing the IB btw, but my school doesn't offer Art at all and I have applied with no design-based subject. However, I have been taking extra classes.

I believe that what has been the clue for Goldsmiths isn't being multi-disciplinary after all. Probably they were looking for the engagement in social and political problems by design and for being active. The guy has been really nice and he has told me that I am a suitable person, because I am reflective and engaged. Maybe you have just focused on different things and it just didn't match their philosophy. Don't worry, you have 4 other choices left!

ReputationRep:
    When exactly did you have your interview? Was it via Skype?
    Maybe they didn't have time to process it all. I had mine on Skype around 12 and I got my reply the next day, just like my friend, but she didn't get in. I don't think that they give out offers first.
    It was at the university at 4pm on the 8th February. I haven't heard anything at all so I'm unsure whether to make that out to be they're not likely to be giving me an offer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emily_tsharp)
    It was at the university at 4pm on the 8th February. I haven't heard anything at all so I'm unsure whether to make that out to be they're not likely to be giving me an offer
    My friend was 30 minutes before you and she got a rejection the next day, maybe hers was the last one sent this week. Don't worry! They have a week to answer.

ReputationRep:
    My friend was 30 minutes before you and she got a rejection the next day, maybe hers was the last one sent this week. Don't worry! They have a week to answer.
    Ahh okay! I was worried they sent out offers first so I've been completely nervous about it! Thank you so much! fingers crossed ey

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! I don't have any other replies and Goldsmiths wasn't my first choice, but only because it's in London and I don't know if I will be able to afford it.
    If they have told you that you are more of a graphics person, then you should do great with your other choices, don't worry!
    I am also doing the IB btw, but my school doesn't offer Art at all and I have applied with no design-based subject. However, I have been taking extra classes.

I believe that what has been the clue for Goldsmiths isn't being multi-disciplinary after all. Probably they were looking for the engagement in social and political problems by design and for being active. The guy has been really nice and he has told me that I am a suitable person, because I am reflective and engaged. Maybe you have just focused on different things and it just didn't match their philosophy. Don't worry, you have 4 other choices left!
    Thanks for the kind words

ReputationRep:
    I had my interview this Wednesday just gone and was quite nervous about whether I would get in or not (it was my only choice, which was potentially foolish), as what I create is very much a blend of fine art and design, among other things- and not traditional design in any sense, I don't create functional or useful objects as such. However this morning I was offered an unconditional place, would be interesting to hear about other people who have been accepted and what kind of work they do, and if anyone else who was in my group interview was offered a place~

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sam.g.ray)
    I had my interview this Wednesday just gone and was quite nervous about whether I would get in or not (it was my only choice, which was potentially foolish), as what I create is very much a blend of fine art and design, among other things- and not traditional design in any sense, I don't create functional or useful objects as such. However this morning I was offered an unconditional place, would be interesting to hear about other people who have been accepted and what kind of work they do, and if anyone else who was in my group interview was offered a place~
    Hi, I was also offered a place and I have a similar feeling about what I have presented in my portfolio. If you'd like to talk or share works just PM me
    Goldsmiths is my 3rd choice, after ECA and GSA from which I haven't heard yet.

ReputationRep:
    does anyone know how many people are on the BA design course? I remember they told me but I forgot haha

ReputationRep:
    Didn't do any art and design subject on my IB course. My dad is like "you won't get in the school lah. It's a prestige school. Just have a try"

I get an offer .___.

My two years of hard work paid off

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aliciayyl)
    Didn't do any art and design subject on my IB course. My dad is like "you won't get in the school lah. It's a prestige school. Just have a try"

I get an offer .___.

My two years of hard work paid off
    Wow, great job! I'm so happy for you I got an offer from UAL so everything works out in the end. Best of luck at uni!

ReputationRep:
    Hi I had my Skype interview on Thursday 8th March 2018 for BA Design with Juliette Kristensen BA Design Programme Lead. The overall feel of the interview was casual and Ms. Kristensen was friendly. First we introduced ourselves which was followed by an explanation of how the interview would proceed starting with a review of the pre-interview answers which I provided before hand, followed by a review of my portfolio and finally questions that I may have. But first I was asked why I wanted to come to Goldsmiths.I was told that my pre-interview questions were not specific enough as my examples of designs that I love and hate were too general. So here I was given the opportunity to redeem myself. I gave my examples and we had a small discussion and shared opinions. I was told that the example of a design that I loved was something that was expensive and not accessible to everyone. Hence, I was asked to think of something else but I was taking long which lead to the interviewer offering to help me. I also had trouble thinking of a design that I hated on the spot, but then I managed to think of a design system that I hated. During the portfolio review, I was asked to describe the process of how I created one of my projects from research, conceptualisation, experimentation to creation. Then I was asked how I could have taken the concept of this project further if I was given one more week to complete it. During the question session I asked the interviewer about how the placement in Year 2 works and I asked her what differentiates Goldsmith's from other universities. I was then told that the Design students at Goldsmith's are the most hardworking students and that the course is very tough. She then asked why do you think you're ready to take this course on. The interview lasted 25mins. The next day i was offered a place at Goldsmith's

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.