A-level further maths Watch

This discussion is closed.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Has anyone here done or is doing As/A Level further maths?

If so how do you find it, is it really hard, easy etc
It'sPhil...
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered)
Has anyone here done or is doing As/A Level further maths?

If so how do you find it, is it really hard, easy etc
A lot depends on your natural mathematical ability. A lot of people find single maths hard, but I personally found it easy. If you are getting a good A* ie 90%+ at GCSE then you should find nearer maths quite easy and further maths harder, but by no means impossible. Further maths is a direct continuation of nearer maths, and you can take some module combinations which make it fairly easy. It's quite hard to tell after GCSE how well you will do in further maths, because most of the topics and concepts are new, but if you found GCSE easy then you should be on course for an A grade

hope that helps
miss_han
Badges: 0
Report 16 years ago
I just finished my double maths a-level, and it was the best thing i ever did. i started "knowing" i wanted to be a doctor, and now im heading off to maths at cambridge! all i can say is you have to like maths. i went along to the introduction to f. maths as a joke and i realised i was actually interested. if in doubt ask your teachers, they generally have a good idea of what you're capable of, but make sure that it doesnt clash with any of your other a-level subjects as it may restrict your other choices
if you're even thinking about it - go for it
but i recommend an a* in gcse to get you off to a good start
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Further Maths is supposed to be the hardest A-level, so make sure you have the enthusiasm and ability, otherwise you will struggle.
Leon
Report 15 years ago
Further Maths is supposed to be the hardest A-level, so make sure you have the enthusiasm and ability, otherwise you will struggle.
Further maths actually IS the hardest A-Level. As my teacher says, 'Further maths is the hardest thing you can do at school'. I have to do it off my own back (an hour a week tutoring/eightish hours own time) because I go to a non-grammar college, and the subject isnt time-tabled. It's effectively invite only. It's a benfit though because doing it this way can impress top uni's a lot, irrespective of your final grade. Go for further maths. The worst thing you can do is learn something 99.999% of your peers dont even know exists
theone
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Leon)
Further maths actually IS the hardest A-Level.
Difficulty is in the eye of the beholder, I think my latin A-level is harder than my f. maths A-Level.
Nima
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by theone)
Difficulty is in the eye of the beholder, I think my latin A-level is harder than my f. maths A-Level.
He was talking generally though..
theone
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by bono)
He was talking generally though..
But there is no generally in my opinion, it all depends what your particular niche is. Whilst some people find the more traditional subjects harder (like physics, maths, etc) this may be because they have come to dislike them through psychological and sociological reasons, and so they may be percieved to be more difficult than they are. Just because more people think business studies, for instance, is easier than maths, it doesn't mean it is. It all depends on what you're good at and what you like, and even then, it depends how good you are at those subjects you like. I don't think there can be a generally, everyone is so different.
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I'm doing the AS, and I enjoy maths anyway so it's always a pleasure. We don't actually do much work but that's down to our own laziness, we know it isn't a doss and we will come good at the right time. Seriously consider F-Maths if you enjoy maths anyway, or are very good at it.
Nima
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by ZJuwelH)
I'm doing the AS, and I enjoy maths anyway so it's always a pleasure. We don't actually do much work but that's down to our own laziness, we know it isn't a doss and we will come good at the right time. Seriously consider F-Maths if you enjoy maths anyway, or are very good at it.
I'll be doing the AS as well, Maths is definitely a good subject.

I would reccommend it, as Juwel said.
DonnaB041986
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Leon)
The worst thing you can do is learn something 99.999% of your peers dont even know exists
ive found that if you do further maths, people in the year (and alot of teachers) automatically think that you're a genius and you get loads of respect from the students taking fancy-pants subjects! although if i had to sit one of their exams, id probably get a worse mark than what they'd get in maths! (or maybe not, ive got quite good at making up cr*p in my english exams, but ive found that you cant make up the correct stuff in a maths exam, no matter how damn hard you try)

Donna
-x-
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I find further maths quite straight forward, but it is hard. People on here exaggerate it though, like it's worth 5 alevels in anything else.
JamesF
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
It certainly depends on your natural ability. If you enjoy maths, it will seem much easier. I personally find that its the easiest A-level that I do, in terms of what i actually need to learn and also work load.
[email protected]
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Chemistry is much harder than Further Maths hands down. You actually have to remember things, with often no possibility of working them out logically. I'm doing Maths, Further Maths and Applied Maths (18 modules all together) and I'm finding it alright, although I've got to do a lot on my own.
jimmy_c
Report 15 years ago
mate,
its sounds like i am in the same sort of situation as u r in.
i am interested in maths as a degree.
the school i go 2 only offeres further maths as an AS, do u think it would be a good idea 2 get a tutor for the A2 of further maths?
my school does P5 P6 and D1 for further maths AS, so do u think it would be good 2 do M2 M3 and P4 for the A2?
what textbooks are good for further maths?
[email protected]
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Surely you're going to do P4 anyway? I'm doing P1-6 M1-6 S1-4 D1-2 altogether. I've got an AAA offer from Balliol, Oxford, which I'm happy about. So I'm gonna do a degree in maths as well
[email protected]
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
didn't really answer your q there. M2 isn't very different to M1 and M3 introduces stuff from P3 into Mechanics. So it's not too bad. I would suggest D2 instead of M4 though, if you were thinking of doing that. M4-6 are much harder.
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by jimmy_c)
mate,
its sounds like i am in the same sort of situation as u r in.
i am interested in maths as a degree.
the school i go 2 only offeres further maths as an AS, do u think it would be a good idea 2 get a tutor for the A2 of further maths?
my school does P5 P6 and D1 for further maths AS, so do u think it would be good 2 do M2 M3 and P4 for the A2?
what textbooks are good for further maths?
Many if not all will be happy to accept you on a single maths A-Level. By the end of the first uni semester everyone is at the same knowledge level, the difference in the further maths amount is usually levelled off. But it's good to do as much maths as possible, so I'd definitely recommend the AS at least. Makes your life easier for the first bit of uni maths, supposedly.
Nima
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by ZJuwelH)
Many if not all will be happy to accept you on a single maths A-Level. By the end of the first uni semester everyone is at the same knowledge level, the difference in the further maths amount is usually levelled off. But it's good to do as much maths as possible, so I'd definitely recommend the AS at least. Makes your life easier for the first bit of uni maths, supposedly.
But Oxford and Cambridge really do want A2 Further Maths though, don't they Juwel?

Cambridge give STEP offers as well.
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by bono)
But Oxford and Cambridge really do want A2 Further Maths though, don't they Juwel?

Cambridge give STEP offers as well.
Both prefer double maths. Obviously with high competition the extra maths usually benefits those that take it as far as admission to Oxbridge goes. So much so that "prefer" could be as close to "require" without being so... but if it's not possible to take it at your school they don't discriminate against that. They'll make those allowances.
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (214)
12.6%
Excited (156)
9.19%
Worried (305)
17.96%
Terrified (378)
22.26%
Meh (162)
9.54%
Confused (37)
2.18%