Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Gym addiction? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Is it normal to be addicted to the gym, or is it a cause for concern? I have to go to the gym every day or I end up feeling really, really bad and fat and lazy if I don't. I usually go for an hour each time. I've also noticed the more weight I lose the more obsessed I become with my weight and actually the fatter I feel. I think I was a lot more confident when I was slightly bigger.

Does anyone else go every day? Should I try and reign it in a bit?

ReputationRep:
    Bump

ReputationRep:
    Now-a-days, it's actually very common. But it's still a cause for concern. It shows an underlying lack of self-esteem.

ReputationRep:
    I'm the same lol. I end up getting all emo when I can't go to a gym or workout for an extended period of time. I feel like **** as well when I start getting fat or lose my progress.

And when I do get the chance to go regularly I end up working out till I feel dizzy or like throwing up or start getting cramps. (usually happens after 3 hours). Thing is I actually really enjoy the whole working out experience, doing all the exercises and wish we wouldn't get tired so I could just do it forever (until i get bored).

Only problem is I have a tendency to over do it and injure myself quite often (over training). But I try to be more careful now and it doesn't happen too much.

Just make sure you stop if you feel pain. Then you won't get injured. Ideally you need to get a lot of rest because in between workouts. it's easy to over train and hurt yourself if you're addicted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by peanutbuttercup)
    Is it normal to be addicted to the gym, or is it a cause for concern? I have to go to the gym every day or I end up feeling really, really bad and fat and lazy if I don't. I usually go for an hour each time. I've also noticed the more weight I lose the more obsessed I become with my weight and actually the fatter I feel. I think I was a lot more confident when I was slightly bigger.

M8, gotta keep making them gainz.I used to go like 5 times a week but now I'm a busy guy so I barely go. Nothing wrong with smashing gym, kinda weird if you go erryday IMO but who am I to judge. When I skip gym I do feel like a lazy fat b*stard but after a few skipped sessions it just becomes normal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChickenMadness)
    I'm the same lol. I end up getting all emo when I can't go to a gym or workout for an extended period of time. I feel like **** as well when I start getting fat or lose my progress.

And when I do get the chance to go regularly I end up working out till I feel dizzy or like throwing up or start getting cramps. (usually happens after 3 hours). Thing is I actually really enjoy the whole working out experience, doing all the exercises and wish we wouldn't get tired so I could just do it forever (until i get bored).

Only problem is I have a tendency to over do it and injure myself quite often (over training). But I try to be more careful now and it doesn't happen too much.

Just make sure you stop if you feel pain. Then you won't get injured. Ideally you need to get a lot of rest because in between workouts. it's easy to over train and hurt yourself if you're addicted.
    This is sooo meee, whenever I go on holiday my mates think I'm a weirdo for asking where the nearest gym is saying **** like "enjoy the holiday" or "you have body dysmorphia" lmao
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Body dysmorphia.

ReputationRep:

Question is: how long you been "addicted" because everyone gets a self-motivation to go everyday for the first 3 or 4 weeks but after that most people fall off and the "addiction" fades

ReputationRep:
    Definitely applies to me, it's actually extremely unhealthy and probably is the result of the fact I used to be obesefat. In recent months I've only managed to ''cure'' it by convincing myself vanity in men is degenerate and putting myself on a strength training program, but this only treats symptoms rather than the fanatical, almost religious mindset I've created.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Khanman123)
    M8, gotta keep making them gainz.I used to go like 5 times a week but now I'm a busy guy so I barely go. Nothing wrong with smashing gym, kinda weird if you go erryday IMO but who am I to judge. When I skip gym I do feel like a lazy fat b*stard but after a few skipped sessions it just becomes normal.
    If you have a coherent training plan you most definitely do not need to go everyday, on the other hand you do need to specify your aims for increasing the weight using well defined periodisation rather than just doing whatever you ''feel'' needs to be done on a particular day.

ReputationRep:
    sounds like u might have body dysmorphia. Try going gym 3/4 days a week

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Khanman123)
    M8, gotta keep making them gainz.
    What in earth does this mean?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JavaScriptMaster)
    Question is: how long you been "addicted" because everyone gets a self-motivation to go everyday for the first 3 or 4 weeks but after that most people fall off and the "addiction" fades
    Since October.. I started off going 5-6 days a week and actually enjoyed it, but now it's a chore and I don't enjoy it anymore when I'm actually there working out

ReputationRep:
    It is better than being addicted to drugs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JavaScriptMaster)
    I think 4 weeks is a bit short, totally right generally though. A lot of us go through a stage of intense desire to want to train. Once I really got into lifting, I LOVED training. Never missed a workout fora year or two unless I was ill. Now, I hate training. Every session I'm like ugh, I can thinkof a hundred things that would be more enjoyable and require much less effort. I still do it because I want the gains and the exercise is good for me, but the enthusiasm for training is mostly dead apart from the odd day here and there.

ReputationRep:
    Since October.. I started off going 5-6 days a week and actually enjoyed it, but now it's a chore and I don't enjoy it anymore when I'm actually there working out
    Yea man I know what you mean, like after a while you just can't be f*cked to take the workout to the max like you did when you were starting out... For me its the same with nutrition, after a while I just don't wanna eat all that chicken breast everyday and like you said it's a chore

ReputationRep:
    Have you ever researched on what it REALLY takes to lose weight? You don't need to go gym every single day, 3-5 times a week is definitely enough. If you go every day you could wind up overtrained which will be counter productive to what you're training for. Make a plan, set your goals, make a diet to suit your goals, if you want to lose weight make sure you're on a adequate caloric deficit. Also remember that you need days to rest your muscles and your CNS. The way you feel is purely psychological. Rest days will improve your progress, not resting will worsen it, that's what the science says, that's how physiology works, so try and overcome these thoughts by thinking more rationally and train smart and you'll be on your way.
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Body dysmorphia; you need to stop going everyday, it's going to make you ill.

If you think this is affecting your life negatively, you need to get professional help

Bump
    24 minutes, strong bump.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by l'etranger)
    If you have a coherent training plan you most definitely do not need to go everyday, on the other hand you do need to specify your aims for increasing the weight using well defined periodisation rather than just doing whatever you ''feel'' needs to be done on a particular day.
    Quite a few big words there but I think I get wat ur saying. When I was training consistently, I used to have a plan but now I just do whatever I feel Like doing, normally chest or legs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    What in earth does this mean?
    Im guessing you don't lift, I know you definitely don't watch Dom mazzetti.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.