Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Gym addiction? Watch

• Very Important Poster

(Original post by peanutbuttercup)
    Since October.. I started off going 5-6 days a week and actually enjoyed it, but now it's a chore and I don't enjoy it anymore when I'm actually there working out
    Then change what you are doing and odnt go as often. You are only going for an hour. How much exercise are you actually doing? My observation is a lot of people spend time on their phone and just wandering about.

If you were going 3x a day for 6hrs + then id say you had an issue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JavaScriptMaster)
    Yea man I know what you mean, like after a while you just can't be f*cked to take the workout to the max like you did when you were starting out... For me its the same with nutrition, after a while I just don't wanna eat all that chicken breast everyday and like you said it's a chore
    F*** all the meat off then mate, I don't really eat much more meat than the average person these days. Get about 2/3 of my protein intake from powdered sources, have done for 1-2 years and gains haven't slowed at all. No reason why they would have tbh, sources like whey protein and egg white powder (my two main sources of protein) are both quality sources of protein and the "whole food is always better" mantra really has no scientific backing.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by l'etranger)
    Definitely applies to me, it's actually extremely unhealthy and probably is the result of the fact I used to be obesefat. In recent months I've only managed to ''cure'' it by convincing myself vanity in men is degenerate and putting myself on a strength training program, but this only treats symptoms rather than the fanatical, almost religious mindset I've created.
    How long did it take from the moment you lifted your first dumbell to your bottom 2 abs appearing?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    F*** all the meat off then mate, I don't really eat much more meat than the average person these days. Get about 2/3 of my protein intake from powdered sources, have done for 1-2 years and gains haven't slowed at all. No reason why they would have tbh, sources like whey protein and egg white powder (my two main sources of protein) are both quality sources of protein and the "whole food is always better" mantra really has no scientific backing.
    How many scoops of whey do you take a day?

ReputationRep:
    thats what I do as well. Mainly cookies and cream whey protein powder because it tastes like a mcdonalds milk shake. Definitely a chore eating meat all the time.
    • Very Important Poster

All you people saying body dismorphia. I dont think so. Sounds more like a bit of insecurity and fear of going backward on her weight loss.

OP how tall are you, how much have you lost and how much do you weigh?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pikachū)
    How many scoops of whey do you take a day?
    I don't take them because they're not a medication :rofl: I drink them

The size of scoops varies per manufacturer so it'd be a pointless number. I generally, though, go through about 90g of whey protein and 90g of egg white powder per day, spread over 3 whey & egg white shakes per day. I tend to drink them with/straight after a meal as they're a lot kinder on the stomach that way I find.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChickenMadness)
    thats what I do as well. Mainly cookies and cream whey protein powder because it tastes like a mcdonalds milk shake. Definitely a chore eating meat all the time.
    For a while it was awesome, I loved meat at the time :lol: After a couple years though the sight of meat started to turn my stomach. I'm actually enjoying meat again now, though I tend to do away with the shakes when I'm cutting and go back to meat because it's much more filling and I tend to get bored of it by the end. Nothing a little break from meat afterwards doesn't fix though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by peanutbuttercup)
    Is it normal to be addicted to the gym, or is it a cause for concern? I have to go to the gym every day or I end up feeling really, really bad and fat and lazy if I don't. I usually go for an hour each time. I've also noticed the more weight I lose the more obsessed I become with my weight and actually the fatter I feel. I think I was a lot more confident when I was slightly bigger.

Does anyone else go every day? Should I try and reign it in a bit?
    Gym rats unite 💪

ReputationRep:
    For a while it was awesome, I loved meat at the time :lol: After a couple years though the sight of meat started to turn my stomach. I'm actually enjoying meat again now, though I tend to do away with the shakes when I'm cutting and go back to meat because it's much more filling and I tend to get bored of it by the end. Nothing a little break from meat afterwards doesn't fix though
    Ye think you just have to keep alternating different food or it gets boring eating the same thing all the time. I usually eat a lot of eggs as well, but it's a struggle to bring myself to cook any a lot of the time because I eat them so much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BobBobson)
    Now-a-days, it's actually very common. But it's still a cause for concern. It shows an underlying lack of self-esteem.
    That's interesting, why do you say this? I also have an obsession with the gym a little like OP. I do get a little anxious and upset if i can't go and i just wanna get ripped.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChickenMadness)
    Ye think you just have to keep alternating different food or it gets boring eating the same thing all the time. I usually eat a lot of eggs as well, but it's a struggle to bring myself to cook any a lot of the time because I eat them so much.
    Yeah, like I love pizza and treat myself to one every weekend, though I'm sure if I had it every day it'd get boring real ****ing fast :rofl: Plus I'd probably die.
    Yup, gone through so many eggs that I'm sorta bored of them for life now :lol: I go through a lot of egg white powder though, not as cheap as whey but it's good to get a little variety, plus I don't like the idea of getting a tonne of protein from a dairy-based source like whey, 90g of whey is a lot as it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pikachū)
    How long did it take from the moment you lifted your first dumbell to your bottom 2 abs appearing?
    Sheeeiiii bottom 2, 3 years.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    That addiction is a highly negative thing.

Try and break the obsession OP.

I do 100% get it though, you look forward to every workout and life just starts to revolve around the gym.

However there is more to life than the gym and it shouldn't be your sole source of happiness
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    OP, by the sheer fact you call it a 'chore' and have lost all enthusiasm for it shows how it's negatively impacting on you. I would try and cut it down slowly, even to 3-4 times a week.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Have sometimes the same feeling: whenever I have missed the gym, I thought I am getting fatter and slacken in doing sports. That is why I was going to the gym thrice, sometimes even four times a week. One day I have reduced it to one time a week and doing martial arts instead. That is a good mix in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    Don't obsess over weight, it's really bad.

Don't worry it's not weird, during school terms I go every day without fail and when I'm off school and training properly I can be on 2-3 hour long sessions a day lol oops

As long as you eat and rest sufficiently for what you're doing that is, the amount of food i go through is not even funny (don't wanna know how much money i spend on chicken LOL)

Don't just be doing it for weight loss though, and it certainly shouldn't all be cardio alone. Make sure you're doing it because you enjoy it! If it's not enjoyable, tone it down a bit.

ReputationRep:
    Why is everyone taking this so seriously, ain't that deep. The guy likes going to the gym, that's it. It'll wear off after a a few months maybe a year or 2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Khanman123)
    Why is everyone taking this so seriously, ain't that deep. The guy likes going to the gym, that's it. It'll wear off after a a few months maybe a year or 2.
    Because if you do it wrong you can end up ill, happens a lot

Year or two of overdoing the exercise and undereating is pretty deep if u ask me :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fergijane88)
    Because if you do it wrong you can end up ill, happens a lot

Year or two of overdoing the exercise and undereating is pretty deep if u ask me :-)
    He's a noob (no offence brah), so its prime time for gainz. M8, I started lifting when I was 12, n the "addiction" faded by the time I was 14. "Undereating" is a bit ridiculous, he's just in a deficit to get rid of that spare tyre, its not as if he's starving himself.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.