Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, I've got this question for homework and I have honestly been on it now for an hour easy...I just have no idea how to do it. I ended up finding the markscheme and I don't even understand why they have that answer....would someone please be able to give me a hand?

Two small rings A and B are attached to opposite ends of a light inextensible string. The rings are
    threaded on a rough wire which is fixed vertically. A is above B. A horizontal force is applied to a
    point P of the string. Both parts AP and BP of the string are taut. The system is in equilibrium with
    angle BAP = α and angle ABP = β (see diagram). The weight of A is 2 N and the tensions in the parts
    AP and BP of the string are 7 N and T N respectively. It is given that cos α = 0.28 and sin α = 0.96,
    and that A is in limiting equilibrium.
    (i) Find the coefficient of friction between the wire and the ring A. [7]
    (ii) By considering the forces acting at P, show that T cos β = 1.96. [2]
    (iii) Given that there is no frictional force acting on B, find the mass of B.

Preferably some help on all of the parts but no worries if that's asking too much!

Much appreciated,
    Matt
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.

Just quoting in Danny Dorito so she can move the thread if needed :wizard:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    (Original post by Danny Dorito)
    x

ReputationRep:
    Hey Buddy, I've just done the question so it is doable. The most important thing with a question like this is to draw a good diagram. Then just equate forces.

For (i), come up with equations for the vertical and horizontal equilibrium at A.

for (ii), do similar things at P

And do the same at B for (iii)

ReputationRep:
    Sorry for the late reply...as you know, A levels can get quite busy Yeah I realised that I had been drawing the tension acting in the wrong direction which messed up my answer. Cheers mate!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.