Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Can someone please tell me how to answer this?

X-Po(2) Y-Po(3)
    W=XY

Find P(W=4)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pinkdragon)

X-Po(2) Y-Po(3)
    W=XY

Find P(W=4)
    If we assume X and Y are two independent random variables we can see that the expected value of XY, i.e. E(XY) would be E(X)E(Y). In this case E(XY) or E(W) in other words would equal 6.

Therefore we can write W as being Poisson distributed with a distribution of W~Po(6).

From there we can use a table or calculator to evaluate: (e^-6)(6^4)/4! which gives:
    0.1339 (4dp).

ReputationRep:

X-Po(2) Y-Po(3)
    W=XY

Find P(W=4)
    I don't get what is "Po" ? Is this teletubbies?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hiq)
    If we assume X and Y are two independent random variables we can see that the expected value of XY, i.e. E(XY) would be E(X)E(Y). In this case E(XY) or E(W) in other words would equal 6.

Therefore we can write W as being Poisson distributed with a distribution of W~Po(6).

From there we can use a table or calculator to evaluate: (e^-6)(6^4)/4! which gives:
    0.1339 (4dp).
    For part a) to this question, I worked out that E(XY)=6 and Var(XY)=36. Would this change the answer because for poison mean and variance are the same?

ReputationRep:
    For part a) to this question, I worked out that E(XY)=6 and Var(XY)=36. Would this change the answer because for poison mean and variance are the same?
    I think you've made a mistake calculating the combination variance:

Var(W) = Var(XY) = Var(X)Var(Y) = (2)(3) = 6

Therefore: Var(W) = E(W) and Poisson would be a justified model for this problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hiq)
    I think you've made a mistake calculating the combination variance:

Var(W) = Var(XY) = Var(X)Var(Y) = (2)(3) = 6

Therefore: Var(W) = E(W) and Poisson would be a justified model for this problem.
    What exam board is this from?

I have edexcel s2 in 2 days and kinda worried never seen questions of this type.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hamzah249)
    What exam board is this from?

I have edexcel s2 in 2 days and kinda worried never seen questions of this type.
    I think the concept is first met in S1 (edexcel) with the idea of event independence with probability:

"If two events are independent P(AnB) = P(A) x P(B)"

You don't really get into combinations of distributions till S3 though, but even in S3 you're just combining normal distributions which is a little different.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hiq)
    I think the concept is first met in S1 (edexcel) with the idea of event independence with probability:

"If two events are independent P(AnB) = P(A) x P(B)"

You don't really get into combinations of distributions till S3 though, but even in S3 you're just combining normal distributions which is a little different.
    Oh, that's a relief.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.