Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (I know applying to uni is still a way away yet for me but I like to plan ahead)

Hey so I'm currently in S5 (second last year of high school in Scotland) and I just chose my S6 subjects. This year I'm taking 4 highers (all target grades at A) and next school year I'll be taking 2 advanced highers and 2 extra highers. So my final qualifications will look like this.
    Spanish-Higher
    History-Higher
    Physics-Higher
    Maths-Higher
    French-Advanced Higher
    English-Advanced Higher
    If I thought about the absolute worst grades I could get (for me) it'd probably be AAAABB for Highers and AB for advanced highers. But I think I'm capable of achieving As in all of them. So with that in mind do you think I should apply to Oxford?
    Also I don't come from a rich background (pretty poor tbh) so do you think I'm setting myself unrealistic goals by considering such a posh and wealthy uni like Oxford?
    Any replies would be well appreciated, thanks.
    Oh and I'd be wanting to apply for Classics and Modern Languages.

ReputationRep:
    The academics are the easy part, no? You know what grades you will need, and you have plenty of time to adjust your super-curricular activities to suit what Oxford is looking for.

The trickier question is whether Oxford is a place where you will feel happy, it being "posh and wealthy" and all that. I went to Oxford 35 years ago, from a very working class background and hated it. Much to my surprise, my daughter - who went to a poorly performing comprehensive school - applied to Oxford and is now in her final year there. She loves it.

What I learnt from this is that a) I don't know half as much as I like to think b) your personal qualities and attitudes make a big difference to whether Oxford works for you. Go to it with an attitude that, "this is my place" and I'm as good as anyone here" and you've got a good chance.

Although private rental accommodation is expensive, many colleges provide accommodation for all the years of your degree, and you can adjust your daily living costs to cope with your student loan. The grants/bursaries are quite good for low income families too. Meanwhile, go on an Open Day and see if they impress you or not. Dates 2017
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by OxFossil)
    The academics are the easy part, no? You know what grades you will need, and you have plenty of time to adjust your super-curricular activities to suit what Oxford is looking for.

The trickier question is whether Oxford is a place where you will feel happy, it being "posh and wealthy" and all that. I went to Oxford 35 years ago, from a very working class background and hated it. Much to my surprise, my daughter - who went to a poorly performing comprehensive school - applied to Oxford and is now in her final year there. She loves it.

What I learnt from this is that a) I don't know half as much as I like to think b) your personal qualities and attitudes make a big difference to whether Oxford works for you. Go to it with an attitude that, "this is my place" and I'm as good as anyone here" and you've got a good chance.

Although private rental accommodation is expensive, many colleges provide accommodation for all the years of your degree, and you can adjust your daily living costs to cope with your student loan. The grants/bursaries are quite good for low income families too. Meanwhile, go on an Open Day and see if they impress you or not. Dates 2017
    Also, 35 years on, there's now fewer "posh and wealthy" at it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Also, 35 years on, there's now fewer "posh and wealthy" at it
    Yeah, I put a fair few off.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by OxFossil)
    Yeah, I put a fair few off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by catmckie)
    (I know applying to uni is still a way away yet for me but I like to plan ahead)

Hey so I'm currently in S5 (second last year of high school in Scotland) and I just chose my S6 subjects. This year I'm taking 4 highers (all target grades at A) and next school year I'll be taking 2 advanced highers and 2 extra highers. So my final qualifications will look like this.
    Spanish-Higher
    History-Higher
    Physics-Higher
    Maths-Higher
    French-Advanced Higher
    English-Advanced Higher
    If I thought about the absolute worst grades I could get (for me) it'd probably be AAAABB for Highers and AB for advanced highers. But I think I'm capable of achieving As in all of them. So with that in mind do you think I should apply to Oxford?
    Also I don't come from a rich background (pretty poor tbh) so do you think I'm setting myself unrealistic goals by considering such a posh and wealthy uni like Oxford?
    Any replies would be well appreciated, thanks.
    Oh and I'd be wanting to apply for Classics and Modern Languages.
    Hiya, I was a Scottish applicant this year (I was unfortunately rejected, though I'm considering reapplying next year).

In terms of academics, typically Oxford are looking for 4 As and a B at Higher, then either AAB at Advanced Higher, or AA at Advanced Higher plus another A at Higher. I'd probably say that if you can get 4 As then it's worth applying - your subjects this year look relevant (My guess would be French, English, Spanish and History?), and taking an extra Higher next year might help a bit (so long as you can get As in them). Keeping up some wider reading/interest outside the curriculum would be important too. You'd probably be best explaining that you can't sit 3 Advanced Highers though (this would probably be in your reference) - Oxford totally understand that Advanced Highers have limited availability, and they're willing to make offers on 2 Advanced Highers plus a Higher if you let them know.

It if helps at all, I'm from a pretty poor background, and when I was at Oxford for interviews the people there were just great - honestly, they're just normal people (that happen to really enjoy a particular subject). The buildings and the like felt quite grand, but it didn't really feel "posh". If you're doing well at school, and you're passionate about what you're applying for, then it's worth a shot. And if you've got any more questions, just tag me and I can hopefully help.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.