Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, so recently I did a mock on unit 3 for the first time and I got an E ( E you know not even C) and am not happy about about it at all so I really want to step up my game and get atleast a C in my next mocks which is in a few weeks ( what I got for the other mocks is a whole different story)
    so anyone with any advice on what I should do?
    thanks.

ReputationRep:
    bump

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, I’ve just moved this thread for you so you might be more likely to get a response

Just a tip, perhaps if you mention your exam board in the OP you might get more specific help as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naomeyz_01)
    Hi, so recently I did a mock on unit 3 for the first time and I got an E ( E you know not even C) and am not happy about about it at all so I really want to step up my game and get atleast a C in my next mocks which is in a few weeks ( what I got for the other mocks is a whole different story)
    so anyone with any advice on what I should do?
    thanks.
    What's your exam board?

WJEC, AQA, Edexcel, OCR ......?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PedanticStudent)
    What's your exam board?

WJEC, AQA, Edexcel, OCR ......?
    edexcel

ReputationRep:
    Best tip to give? Spend time and use effort. Business is a subject where if you cover all of the content, application is quite simple because it turns a bit common sense'yyy, whereas e.g politics or economics, you need to know multiple concepts in which most differ and can't overlap, business is quite general and the topics absolutely inter twine. Therefore, make sure you learn most points out of the book you have, then start old practise papers. As soon as you know the content for business fluently, any question that comes up will be easy as you can mould your answer by other answers in the book or from old past papers, whereas again e.g politics or economics, topics differ and a question that's given in your actual exam, may be hard interpret as a question you've already practised in the past whereas business doesn't have this problem AS MUCH. Hope I made sense! LEARN CONTENT ASAP.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naomeyz_01)
    edexcel
    All exam technique. Doing old spec or new spec? I can help if you need help with anything though .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emz99)
    All exam technique. Doing old spec or new spec? I can help if you need help with anything though .
    Exam technique is piss easy in business. The context can be a bit difficult, but that's why you complete all content and master that, then follow 'PEEL'. Point, evidence, explanation, link back. Drop a lil however for extra brownie points coqboy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing edexcel too, and i've gotten D's on my mocks for A2 stuff and its a nightmare. I some what think the real exams may be a bit more sensible in terms of marking and grade boundaries though. My advice, which i really should follow myself is do lots of past paper questions and get them marked. Knowledge is simple, but answering isn't always that easy.

ReputationRep:
    One of my main tips for helping boost up exam grades is the way you answer questions. make sure that you are giving the examiner what he has on the mark scheme they have in front of them. one of the main things you can do is have a look at something called blooms taxonomy (A simple version below)

As you go higher up the pyramid, questions will be worth more marks (forget the very top one create, we don't need that in business) The two top ones for us are evaluate and analyse.

For analysis you want to say what is good and bad (the advantages and disadvantages) is the proposal (for example) a good one, say why after you explain the advantages and disadvantages

For evaluation you need to tell my why I should do something, explain it and justify your answer using facts and knowledge. give suggestions and back up those suggestions with the facts and knowledge about the given subject area. This will be the bigger questions, you could/should throw in some advantages and disadvantages here too.

Quick overview of the pyramid above

to the right of the pyramid is what that level means e.g Understand = Explain ides or concepts but underneath that are the buzzwords that might be in the exam (there are others don't forget though) so for example* if the questions something along the lines of "Defend Jill's decision to relocate her business to London" then you evaluate, you say why she is doing it, explain the benefits, why they may outweigh the drawbacks and are better than the benefits to other locations

*Just an example I made up in my head and is not based on anything

The main ones we use in business are Knowledge(remember), understand, Analyse and evaluate.

I would certainly take this over some marked mock questions and see how you could improve them and if you did this. try this in a few practice questions and take them to your teacher to mark to see if it works (which it will)

OF COURSE THIS DOES NOT MEAN YOU DON'T NEED TO REVISE, YOU CAN'T DO THIS IF YOU DON'T KNOW THE TOPICS

Hope this helps

RJ

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone got some course material for the New Spec of Edexcel Business Studies? My teacher for Theme 1 and 4 is terrible😩 I got an A in Theme 2 last year and a D in theme 1, with the same teachers🙁 I can't find anything online, due to it being a new Spec, so any help would he greatly appreciated☺️ Thanks in advance

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emz99)
    I'm doing the new Spec. It's horrible, as my teacher for Themes 1 and 4 is terrible, but there's no resources available online. If you have any resources, it would be greatly appreciated☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucymariexoxo)
    I'm doing the new Spec. It's horrible, as my teacher for Themes 1 and 4 is terrible, but there's no resources available online. If you have any resources, it would be greatly appreciated☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile
    From what I know its still similar. Critical pathway analysis? loads of formulas for things like acid test, return on capital, gearing ratio etc. Globalisation and business's going abroad?

If so I will message you some links

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucymariexoxo)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I am doing WJEC but you may find that the resources which our exam board kindly produces for us helpful.

https://jacktilson.net/edu/business

Look at the 'Official Resources' section, its the first row of buttons on the page. Look through the titles of chapters for each of the units by clicking the buttons.

Unit 4 is coming soon.

I mention this as I have found some edexcel business books to be helpful in the past, so maybe they are bidirectional to an extent, even with the new spec?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.