Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have a 2 hour English Lit AS mock tomorrow and I'm worried about timings... any tips?

ReputationRep:
    1. Read the question 3 times and understand what it is asking you to do

2. Think of how you will start, what you'll write next and how you will finish. This is key.

3. Write with speed and accuracy, ensuring to read the words you are writing. You don't want any mistakes

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    What if you can't think of anything to write, and you have a blank mind ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tuchaynz)
    1. Read the question 3 times and understand what it is asking you to do

2. Think of how you will start, what you'll write next and how you will finish. This is key.

3. Write with speed and accuracy, ensuring to read the words you are writing. You don't want any mistakes

Good luck
    Thank you for the advice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Franklin Esq)
    haha thats what I'm worried about ! Tbh I think if you ramble at the beginning for a bit it falls into place after a few minutes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tea2345)
    Thank you for the advice
    No problem 👍

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Franklin Esq)
    Take some deep breaths and gather yourself - a few moments is neither here nor there time-wise, but this can really help if your mind goes blank.

ReputationRep:
    PLAN. Take at least five minutes in which you do not allow yourself to start the essay, only to plan. Losing this time seems counter-intuitive, but this will help you gain clarity and dramatically speed up your writing when you begin.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CivilAsAnOrange)
    PLAN. Take at least five minutes in which you do not allow yourself to start the essay, only to plan. Losing this time seems counter-intuitive, but this will help you gain clarity and dramatically speed up your writing when you begin.
    how would you recommend planning? Mind map? Or literally just scribble down a load of notes?

ReputationRep:
    As others have said above, allow yourself 5 minutes to plan. It will make your essay so much more coherent. Give yourself plenty of time - at least 5 minutes - to write a decent conclusion, even if that means not finishing one of your other paragraphs.

And finally, if you have, for example, 2 essays to do in 2 hours, then make sure you allocate 1 hour for each essay. Don't spend longer on the first one, and allow it to encroach on your time for the second.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tea2345)
    how would you recommend planning? Mind map? Or literally just scribble down a load of notes?
    I basically do my topic sentences for each paragraph - I always make it clear in the first sentence which part of the book or theme I'm going to be examining. I scrawl down the odd quote too, and then summarise my conclusion, but see what works for you. Also, don't worry if you struggle with the speed this time, you'll get there (I speak as someone who really struggles with it.)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.