Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was offered ABB with A in Maths, if it came to results day and I achieved ABB but the A was in another subject and not Maths would I stand a chance of getting in still?

ReputationRep:
    How the heck do you get offered ABB for maths at Bristol? That's ridiculous I'd assume not but I'm guessing this is because of one of two things.

1 your exceptionally brilliant and a complete genius so they lowered the entry requirements to assure they got you

Possible but then why the self doubt

2. They lowered it because you fit into a group for quotas either disability gender racial or economic etc.

Which is annoying because it penalises everyone who doesn't fit into the right class.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 09812dsd)
    I was offered ABB with A in Maths, if it came to results day and I achieved ABB but the A was in another subject and not Maths would I stand a chance of getting in still?
    You're already getting a heavily reduced offer - I wager the answer is no.

ReputationRep:
    This was for economics and finance but they said I had to get an A in Maths for this course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 09812dsd)
    This was for economics and finance but they said I had to get an A in Maths for this course.
    ah well I don't know what the entry requirements are for economics and finance. I don't think anyone can really know for definite what happens if you miss an offer. Everyone would only be speculating.

However the university in question have a right to reject you if you miss any of the stipulations of their offer. If they have said you have to get an A or above in maths then in theory you could lose your place even if you get A*A* and then a B in maths missing the A grade by just one mark.

How likely that is and how forgiving they can be is pure speculation. What you need to do is your best, make a strong effort and if it goes your way then happy days if not hopefully they will be forgiving if not that is part if your life and you need to deal with that at the time.

I am probably one of the worst offenders for this sort of thing always getting anxious and wondering what if etc. the thing for maths though is the A grade can be very forgiving whilst the A* grade is not.

By that I mean if you can competently pass C3 and C4 you should be able to do very well in C1 and C2 resit these if you need to id say.
    with M1 S1 D1 etc their are a lot of fairly easy modules which with hard work you can score very strong marks in its just practice.

Its certainly forgivable to screw up C4 or even C3 but the applied modules combined with C1 and C2 allow you a strong buffer zone its definitely doable. What scares me about the maths is if you need 90% in C3 and C4 otherwise your not getting the A* even with 100% in everything else. it only takes a few silly mistakes or one or two questions that throw you a curve ball and then bye bye going anywhere half decent for maths.

If I knew I could get into Bristol for maths with only AAB let alone ABB I would be delighted knowing that.

is your offer lower then the norm?

If so how did you get that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luke7456)
    ah well I don't know what the entry requirements are for economics and finance. I don't think anyone can really know for definite what happens if you miss an offer. Everyone would only be speculating.

However the university in question have a right to reject you if you miss any of the stipulations of their offer. If they have said you have to get an A or above in maths then in theory you could lose your place even if you get A*A* and then a B in maths missing the A grade by just one mark.

How likely that is and how forgiving they can be is pure speculation. What you need to do is your best, make a strong effort and if it goes your way then happy days if not hopefully they will be forgiving if not that is part if your life and you need to deal with that at the time.

I am probably one of the worst offenders for this sort of thing always getting anxious and wondering what if etc. the thing for maths though is the A grade can be very forgiving whilst the A* grade is not.

By that I mean if you can competently pass C3 and C4 you should be able to do very well in C1 and C2 resit these if you need to id say.
    with M1 S1 D1 etc their are a lot of fairly easy modules which with hard work you can score very strong marks in its just practice.

Its certainly forgivable to screw up C4 or even C3 but the applied modules combined with C1 and C2 allow you a strong buffer zone its definitely doable. What scares me about the maths is if you need 90% in C3 and C4 otherwise your not getting the A* even with 100% in everything else. it only takes a few silly mistakes or one or two questions that throw you a curve ball and then bye bye going anywhere half decent for maths.

If I knew I could get into Bristol for maths with only AAB let alone ABB I would be delighted knowing that.

is your offer lower then the norm?

If so how did you get that?
    Thanks for your reply, the usual offer is AAA but because I come from a low achieving school I get offered AAB due to the contextual offer but then I got lowered to ABB, I'm guessing it's because my personal statement was strong. I have done a lot of volunteering, essay competitions etc. so I've don't quite a bit outside of education which I'm guessing helped me.

I completely agree about getting the A in Maths isn't too bad because I was calculating the UMS needed and I didn't really need to score too high on C3 and C4 to get an A overall I think it was about 75 UMS on each.

ReputationRep:
    Bristol has historically given contextual offers one grade lower than the usual offer - but a couple of weeks ago it was in the Times that Bristol and Exeter were considering giving contextual offers TWO grades lower - I suspect you are a beneficiary of the new system. There is a list of schools on the Bristol website which qualify for contextual offers - its pretty long....
    I dont think you'll have a chance of getting in unless you get the A in maths as it was so clearly specified. In physics, which is obviously heavily mathematical, the admissions tutors make it very clear that they might accept the occasional slipped grade - even in physics - but never in maths.

ReputationRep:
    Bristol's been offering two grades below the standard entry requirement for years now, they just refrained from advertising it.

The contextual offer scheme is a good idea, Bristol has one of the lowest percentages of state educated students in any University (lower than either Oxford or Cambridge, although I can never remember which). The diversity of the University is getting worse as state educated students make up a smaller percentage of the intake each year. The scheme isn't making things better, but is helping to slow the trend.

I think it's a good thing, but I'm bias. I benefited from it.

Anyone who says the scheme is unfair clearly attended a private school and got rejected because their personal statement was a pile of s**t. The usual response is to blame the contextual offer system, have a huff and puff about it, perhaps a moan in the Telegraph as well*.

I'd encourage anyone thinking about Bristol not to think that they aren't good enough. Go for it and apply, you might just be surprised.

*http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...ejections.html

ReputationRep:
    Just curious if I am completely self taught could I get a contextual offer as self taught?

Also I think your been harsh saying that anyone who thinks it is unfair is just private educated and bad statement.

If I worked my ass off and am expected to get A*A*A but get rejected for someone predicted ABB just to be dismisswd as an upper class toff simply because I lost out due to quotas seems harsh and to dismiss those concerns is disingenuous.

However I am curious if I can get contextual offers due to been self taught. I mean I think such a system is wrong but if I can get an advantage why deprive myself of that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luke7456)
    Just curious if I am completely self taught could I get a contextual offer as self taught?

Also I think your been harsh saying that anyone who thinks it is unfair is just private educated and bad statement.

If I worked my ass off and am expected to get A*A*A but get rejected for someone predicted ABB just to be dismisswd as an upper class toff simply because I lost out due to quotas seems harsh and to dismiss those concerns is disingenuous.

However I am curious if I can get contextual offers due to been self taught. I mean I think such a system is wrong but if I can get an advantage why deprive myself of that.
    The contextual offers are for poorly performing schools/colleges. If you're looking for an "advantage" (note: people who qualify for a contextual offer of, say, ABB instead of AAA are given them because it's deemed they'd have to work as hard as a student at a strong-performance school to achieve the grades they do) then you'd be better off finding and going to one of the poorly performing schools for A Levels.

The contextual offer is a reflection of the quality of the school one attends. If you achieve lower grades self-taught, that is a reflection of your own study skills and wouldn't be attractive to Bristol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dontcallmesammy)
    The contextual offers are for poorly performing schools/colleges. If you're looking for an "advantage" (note: people who qualify for a contextual offer of, say, ABB instead of AAA are given them because it's deemed they'd have to work as hard as a student at a strong-performance school to achieve the grades they do) then you'd be better off finding and going to one of the poorly performing schools for A Levels.

The contextual offer is a reflection of the quality of the school one attends. If you achieve lower grades self-taught, that is a reflection of your own study skills and wouldn't be attractive to Bristol.
    I don't see that I mean I am not talking about getting in with CCB etc it's just C1 C2 M1 M2 S1 S2 are looking real easy but C3 and C4 look more of a challenge with more study I think I can get the 90% in them. I certainly won't struggle to get high marks from the other modules relevant to maths a level. So getting the A grade seems assured but the A* grade in still concerned about.

If I am completely self taught surely I am in a worse position then someone in a poor performing school since I get no support and they still get support even if poor support. Surely it's a reflection of their poor study skills after all nothing stops them self teaching. There's enough time I can still secure the A* if you told me the other exams were all next week I'd be confident of getting A sort of makes in those if however i had C3 and C4 right now I think I'd get C/D marks still plenty of time though.

I just think contextual offers should be available to those self taught I guess if they are not then meh

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.