So; here's the thing. I've got a firm offer, and have signed and returned a conditional contract with a major banking graduate scheme that I'll be joining in September.
However, with the euphoria of getting the job having subsided (got it in December), I'm now starting to feel a little anxious. The contract is a conditional one, and whilst the conditions are fairly standard (just on passing references and so on), I'm still a little worried by the fact that from the sound of things your future employer technically has the power to simply withdraw it at any time.
Now, when I confirmed my acceptance of the offer and signed and returned the contract, I then withdrew all my other applications (I had about 4 assessment centres coming up at different jobs), because, hey? I got the job lined up right? And wouldn't it be dishonest to sign a contract only to renege on it later?
I feel like I've done the 'right thing'. But as with a lot of things that are the 'right thing', have I perhaps just been a bit of mug?
I mean, what would actually have even happened, if, say, with a couple of months to go prior to the start date of say, 3 different September-starting jobs, you pulled the plug from two of them? (obviously when the unconditional offer comes along then sure, you and the employer are both tied down).
I realise I'm being a bit angsty, but I still don't really like it. If they did withdraw the offer for whatever reason I'd be right up **** creek. Its obviously a very unlikely scenario, but if the worst came to the worst it would be extremely costly for me.
As such, I'm starting to wonder, perhaps I should have just attended all those assessment centres, got as many offers as possible, accepted the offers, signed the conditional contracts and more-or-less got away with it were I to withdraw quite close to the start date.
Have I been 'honest to a fault' here?
Turn on thread page Beta
Is it wise to accept several job offers and sign several conditional contracts? watch
- Thread Starter
- 19-01-2017 23:24
- 19-01-2017 23:30
meet the conditions and bobs your uncle
- 20-01-2017 08:19
You've done the right thing.
If everyone did what you are suggesting, a small fraction of people would actually get job offers where a minority were sitting on multiple ones. There's already a huge renege issue in the graduate market, with around 8% of all graduate jobs remaining unfilled because people renege with relatively short notice. If people want to be selfish and increase that trend, then they will harm everyone else's prospects, and probably end up in a job where they are over worked where the company is under staffed.
As you said the offers have standard conditions anyway. If you failed one, you more than likely to fail the others too so what's the point of holding the multiple offers with the same conditions?
Posted from TSR MobileLast edited by J-SP; 20-01-2017 at 08:50.
- 20-01-2017 17:04
No. your burn bridges you never know when you may work with or for those companies in the future. You don't understand how many hours it takes just to get those offers out and put in arrangements for you to start. They may pressure you to start but even up to 2 weeks MAXIMUM is a reasonable time to wait and more than enough time for you to decide
Offline19ReputationRep:Community AssistantCV Helper
- Community Assistant
- CV Helper
(Original post by Matthew7)
- 20-01-2017 17:11
The contract is a conditional one, and whilst the conditions are fairly standard (just on passing references and so on),
Now, when I confirmed my acceptance of the offer and signed and returned the contract, I then withdrew all my other applications (I had about 4 assessment centres coming up at different jobs), because, hey?
- 21-01-2017 20:34
A big bank isn't going to pull your contract, so providing you're meeting the conditions you have nothing to worry about.
However, if you think there's a job you'd prefer to the one you currently are offered, absolutely go ahead and pursue it.