Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it wise to accept several job offers and sign several conditional contracts? Watch

ReputationRep:
    So; here's the thing. I've got a firm offer, and have signed and returned a conditional contract with a major banking graduate scheme that I'll be joining in September.

However, with the euphoria of getting the job having subsided (got it in December), I'm now starting to feel a little anxious. The contract is a conditional one, and whilst the conditions are fairly standard (just on passing references and so on), I'm still a little worried by the fact that from the sound of things your future employer technically has the power to simply withdraw it at any time.

Now, when I confirmed my acceptance of the offer and signed and returned the contract, I then withdrew all my other applications (I had about 4 assessment centres coming up at different jobs), because, hey? I got the job lined up right? And wouldn't it be dishonest to sign a contract only to renege on it later?

I feel like I've done the 'right thing'. But as with a lot of things that are the 'right thing', have I perhaps just been a bit of mug?

I mean, what would actually have even happened, if, say, with a couple of months to go prior to the start date of say, 3 different September-starting jobs, you pulled the plug from two of them? (obviously when the unconditional offer comes along then sure, you and the employer are both tied down).

I realise I'm being a bit angsty, but I still don't really like it. If they did withdraw the offer for whatever reason I'd be right up **** creek. Its obviously a very unlikely scenario, but if the worst came to the worst it would be extremely costly for me.

As such, I'm starting to wonder, perhaps I should have just attended all those assessment centres, got as many offers as possible, accepted the offers, signed the conditional contracts and more-or-less got away with it were I to withdraw quite close to the start date.

Have I been 'honest to a fault' here?

ReputationRep:
    meet the conditions and bobs your uncle
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    You've done the right thing.

If everyone did what you are suggesting, a small fraction of people would actually get job offers where a minority were sitting on multiple ones. There's already a huge renege issue in the graduate market, with around 8% of all graduate jobs remaining unfilled because people renege with relatively short notice. If people want to be selfish and increase that trend, then they will harm everyone else's prospects, and probably end up in a job where they are over worked where the company is under staffed.

As you said the offers have standard conditions anyway. If you failed one, you more than likely to fail the others too so what's the point of holding the multiple offers with the same conditions?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No. your burn bridges you never know when you may work with or for those companies in the future. You don't understand how many hours it takes just to get those offers out and put in arrangements for you to start. They may pressure you to start but even up to 2 weeks MAXIMUM is a reasonable time to wait and more than enough time for you to decide
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Matthew7)
    The contract is a conditional one, and whilst the conditions are fairly standard (just on passing references and so on),

Now, when I confirmed my acceptance of the offer and signed and returned the contract, I then withdrew all my other applications (I had about 4 assessment centres coming up at different jobs), because, hey?
    What you've done is the right thing to do. If you have no doubts about your references, DBS, grades etc then the conditions are a formality. The key is being sent the contract and signing it really. The company don't send that if they have any doubts. You could have waited longer on your other options if you wanted while you were at the interview/assessment stages, but you shouldn't accept multiple job offers and certainly not sign multiple contracts and then renege, a job contract isn't like the offer of a University place.

ReputationRep:
    A big bank isn't going to pull your contract, so providing you're meeting the conditions you have nothing to worry about.

However, if you think there's a job you'd prefer to the one you currently are offered, absolutely go ahead and pursue it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.