Turn on thread page Beta

Is anyone here OK with going to their insurance come results day? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkfairy)
    durham is my insurance, they ask for higher grades than my first choice
    I was told i wasnt allowed doing that. which i suppose makes sense because if you get the grades for your firm choice then you're obliged to go there and the insurance wont come into it, and if you dont get the grades then youll get into neither.

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh *sighs* Sheffield, in many ways I think I might actually be more suited to it! I'll be happy anywhere really, but I'll be dissappointed to let myself down grades wise.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry skimmed this thread so apologies if I've already said soemthing mentioned already.

(Original post by btigershark)
    I was just wondering exactly who on here actualy is fine or maby even just as excited about going to their insurance if they don't quite make it in to their first choice uni.
    No way. Westminster sucks for my course I've opted for.

(Original post by btigershark)
    When on here, most of you guys seem to want to go into clearing rather than their insurance, so is there anyone on here that actually would still be fine with going to their insurance?
    I didn't think that was possible if you met the requirement for your insurance offer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LittleMinx)
    I was told i wasnt allowed doing that. which i suppose makes sense because if you get the grades for your firm choice then you're obliged to go there and the insurance wont come into it, and if you dont get the grades then youll get into neither.
    The understood/logical but unwritten rule is that your insurance offer should be lower than your firm however, despite being advised to do this some peoples insurance offer is higher than their firm because it hasn't been disallowed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calumc)
    I REALLY hope I get my first choice, since I'll get rubbish accomidation at my insurance, and won't be 18 before the start of term, so will have the worst freshers week ever. I'll find out on Tuesday, so pray for me or something! (please)
    i dont turn 18 until january of my first year at uni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by waiting2smile)
    The understood/logical but unwritten rule is that your insurance offer should be lower than your firm however, despite being advised to do this some peoples insurance offer is higher than their firm because it hasn't been disallowed.
    That can have drawbacks too. Well if I have to reapply I might make some top uni my insurance lol

ReputationRep:
    But why would anyone bother doing this? I don't quite understand it. I only considered it because i thought youd be allowed to swap from your firm to insurance choice if you wanted to, but was later told i wouldnt be able to do this.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LittleMinx)
    But why would anyone bother doing this? I don't quite understand it. I only considered it because i thought youd be allowed to swap from your firm to insurance choice if you wanted to, but was later told i wouldnt be able to do this.
    Maybe your insurance is likely to very leniant. Say you apply for chemistry at I dunno, Oxford and UCL. I have no idea what the offers are but say you get an AAA offer from UCL and an AAB offer from Oxford. IYou accept Oxford as firm, and UCL as insurance. If you then got AAC, Oxford are unlikely to take an AAC student for sheer competition, but UCL may well take you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    Maybe your insurance is likely to very leniant. Say you apply for chemistry at I dunno, Oxford and UCL. I have no idea what the offers are but say you get an AAA offer from UCL and an AAB offer from Oxford. IYou accept Oxford as firm, and UCL as insurance. If you then got AAC, Oxford are unlikely to take an AAC student for sheer competition, but UCL may well take you!
    A friend was accepted into Bristol (her insurance) despite missing the grades. However, I really wouldn't advise anyone to do it, it's a bit of a risk.

ReputationRep:
    yeah- i'd be cool with going to my insurance. i wudn't be as prepared n its further from home, but one of my best mates is in sheffield anyway, and a couple of others are going too so i'd cope!

ReputationRep:
    If you don't make your first choice but don't want to go to your insurance CAN you actually ask them to release you then go through clearing? Coz I read somewhere that you can't but if I dont make my first choice this is what I'd like to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Azure_Ice)
    If you don't make your first choice but don't want to go to your insurance CAN you actually ask them to release you then go through clearing? Coz I read somewhere that you can't but if I dont make my first choice this is what I'd like to do.
    Yes, I am pretty sure you can, as it says so on the UCAS site...people change their minds when they get their grades or even change their minds over the months to another course. I've just changed my course on my Insurance choice...I think I would rather go to my insurance choice now rather than my first acceptence, I've heard bad things about that Uni.

ReputationRep:
    id be massively disappointed to have to go to my insurance, infact, id probably take a year out and reapply next year.

ReputationRep:
    Thank God I never put down an insurance. My firm is Mathematics at King's College but I doubt I got an A for my A2. I could have put either Chemistry with an European Language at UCL or Mathematics with Italian at Greenwich for my insurance. But I dunno why the hell I applied to Chemistry back then and I certainly do not want to go to Greenwich as I will bring shame to myself and my family. Anyways, they are available at Clearing so if I don't find any better courses, then I guess they are my last resort, and I would go for UCL. I wasn't planning to be a chemist or something but: it's fun, I get to become more fluent in Italian and, it's UCL.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    This was exactly the reason I decided to put Leeds as my insurance to Edinburgh even though both asked for three B's. Even if I didn't quite make the grades, from the visit I was quite confident even if I missed it by a grade or two they'd be leanient. Looking back now it doesn't seem so smart...(Edinburgh are actually quite flexible themselves with us EEE'rs! Guess there's not enough of us around )

I'd be glad to go to either of my choices though obviously we all hope to go to our first choice, unless you have a lot of peer pressure on you, or you made an honestly bad insurance choice, there's no reason to feel down about it.

ReputationRep:
    imperial is my insurance, i dont mind going there, actually it might be a better option than my 1st choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by keithy)
    imperial is my insurance, i dont mind going there, actually it might be a better option than my 1st choice.
    lol ditto (weird...)

all except the sky-high rent and living costs...

ReputationRep:
    I would go to my insurance (Edinburgh) but I kinda have my heart set on my firm (Glasgow) so it would feel odd but I'd get over it

ReputationRep:
    never would i go to my insurance.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.