Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Celebrate trump's historic inaugeration Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PhysNobel)
    I've taken the trouble to reply courteously to you. Suggest you try thinking before you post.

Nb. I clearly stated I had to dual UK US nationality - I am British by birth
    - & Kings Scholar at Eton College.

Who's laughing now, fool.
    are you a wet bob ?

ReputationRep:
    Is it bad that I could care less about Trump and all through the inauguration I couldn't get over how evil Mike Pence looked.

That guy flat out turned his head the other way when Minorities leader Chuck Schumer mentioned "work together with people of different sexual orientation"

He seems capable of getting Trump impeached just to become President. He's in it to win it. Trump better watch his back. Everyone makes a big deal of Trump, but he's just all talk, it's this guy we need to keep an eye on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fandom-queen)
    Is it bad that I could care less about Trump and all through the inauguration I couldn't get over how evil Mike Pence looked.

That guy flat out turned his head the other way when Minorities leader Chuck Schumer mentioned "work together with people of different sexual orientation"

He seems capable of getting Trump impeached just to become President. He's in it to win it. Trump better watch his back. Everyone makes a big deal of Trump, but he's just all talk, it's this guy we need to keep an eye on.
    I think you're reading a bit much into the head turn. The meme of Mike Pence prowling around in gay bars with jumper cables isnt really founded in facts. The closest you can get is him saying, before he was Governor if I remember rightly, that Indiana should support adults who wanted to change their sexuality. Nothing about compulsion and (crucially) nothing about children.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    are you a wet bob ?
    I think his head has hit the Wall once too often.

Oh goodness. That's it. That is why he supports Trump. He wants play that bloody game from sea to shining sea along the Mexican border. Someone should tell him, it still doesn't mean anyone will score a goal.

ReputationRep:
    Just an observation; When Trump announced his intention to run I was a bit baffled that most of the criticism towards him was aimed at his personal beliefs. Even after he made public some of his policies 75% of the .neg comments were of his personal views on things. Just as now the criticism of the V.P. is aimed at his personal beliefs.

Somebody tell me if I'm going wrong.

Not to familiar with the constitution of other countries but I read on here that the French President and the British P.M. have considerably more power than the U.S. Pres. I assume that means he can create statute law unilaterally without the checks and balances the U.S. Constitution provides. Laws that are more in line with his personal beliefs than he might get through a Congress or Parliament. Is this why everyone was so paranoid about What they thought were Trumps personally held beliefs?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oldercon1953)

Not to familiar with the constitution of other countries but I read on here that the French President and the British P.M. have considerably more power than the U.S. Pres. I assume that means he can create statute law unilaterally without the checks and balances the U.S. Constitution provides. Laws that are more in line with his personal beliefs than he might get through a Congress or Parliament. Is this why everyone was so paranoid about What they thought were Trumps personally held beliefs?
    The federal government in the US has less power over the day to day affairs of ordinary people than in the UK (certainly England) and France because huge areas of domestic policy are reserved to the States.

The US President effectively doesn't have control over the budget nor over legislators, even from his own party.

His power of unilateral lawmaking is heavily circumscribed and general only relates to directing how the civil service should exercise the powers they have.

Compare Trump's initial executive order on Obamacare:-

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/01/20/po...ecutive-order/

with these Regulations made by the UK Health Secretary who of course holds office at the will of the Prime Minister

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2...0150238_en.pdf

Those UK Regulations (like most but not all important UK regulations) have to be laid before Parliament and Parliament can vote to reject them if the opposition are prepared to sacrifice some of the time allotted to them to choose the subject for debate to debate these Regulations. Otherwise they enter into force with no political debate. Parliament can only reject in toto and cannot amend them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    The federal government in the US has less power over the day to day affairs of ordinary people than in the UK (certainly England) and France because huge areas of domestic policy are reserved to the States.

The US President effectively doesn't have control over the budget nor over legislators, even from his own party.

His power of unilateral lawmaking is heavily circumscribed and general only relates to directing how the civil service should exercise the powers they have.

Compare Trump's initial executive order on Obamacare:-

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/01/20/po...ecutive-order/

with these Regulations made by the UK Health Secretary who of course holds office at the will of the Prime Minister

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2...0150238_en.pdf

Those UK Regulations (like most but not all important UK regulations) have to be laid before Parliament and Parliament can vote to reject them if the opposition are prepared to sacrifice some of the time allotted to them to choose the subject for debate to debate these Regulations. Otherwise they enter into force with no political debate. Parliament can only reject in toto and cannot amend them.
    You do know the Pres. is the one who writes the Fed. budget and submits it to the House and after approval it goes to the Senate where it must also be approved. In this respect the Pres. has considerable power over the budget because the Pres. always gets what he wants.

ReputationRep:
    You do know the Pres. is the one who writes the Fed. budget and submits it to the House and after approval it goes to the Senate where it must also be approved. In this respect the Pres. has considerable power over the budget because the Pres. always gets what he wants.
    Which is clear in the way the US has had to endure several Government 'shutdowns' in recent years...

ReputationRep:
    Just an observation; When Trump announced his intention to run I was a bit baffled that most of the criticism towards him was aimed at his personal beliefs. Even after he made public some of his policies 75% of the .neg comments were of his personal views on things. Just as now the criticism of the V.P. is aimed at his personal beliefs.

Somebody tell me if I'm going wrong.

The Constitution is pretty clear that the judiciary, the Congress and the executive should be coequal, with neither able to do anything unilaterally. Unfortunately, Presidents since Woodrow Wilson (I particularly blame him, as well as FDR, Reagan and Obama) have strengthened the power of the Presidency to the point where in 2016 if the President wants something done it's very difficult to prevent. The days of Calvin Coolidge letting the stock market crash solely to prove a point about federalism and the constitutional limits of the Presidency. Sadly.

ReputationRep:
    The President does submit a budget request to Congress which is his demand for money. However the two houses produce (or should produce) their own budget resolutions which are effectively their own budgets. The key difference between the UK and the US model is that in the UK all "requests for supply" must come from the Crown. In other words Parliament cannot make the government spend money on something it doesn't want to. There is no strict equivalent in the US and the Houses do back their own pet projects. So for example if Congress wants to spend money on climate change, the President can only veto the entire appropriations package and not delete the climate change spending. The UK Parliament has no mechanism even to add spending undesired by the government.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see how it'll be possible to ban Muslims though.

ReputationRep:
    He's actually backtracked and said he wants tighter vetting and a temporary suspension of all immigrants from terrorist prone countries, While a good sounding idea there is one huge flaw. This idea would keep external terrorists from entering America, but what about the terrorists already in America (internal terrorists)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomywomy)
    He's actually backtracked and said he wants tighter vetting and a temporary suspension of all immigrants from terrorist prone countries, While a good sounding idea there is one huge flaw. This idea would keep external terrorists from entering America, but what about the terrorists already in America (internal terrorists)
    No plan is going to be perfect given the fact that any given person already living here can morph into a terrorist.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 24, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.