Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hi
    so i'm new here and i just need some advice..

i'm currently in year 12, and my english (lit) teachers have decided that they are not going to insist i do the AS this june.

they are making a few people do it - those who they feel might struggle to get a good grade at the end of the a-level course, and want them to have something to show for their work thus far. i'm not the worst student, but i'm no way near the best (i'm currently averaging about a band 3).

i had gotten myself into the mindset that they would force the exam on me, and that i would definatley be doing it this june. now i know that isn't the case, it's up to me as to whether i do it or not.

does anyone have any advice as to whether i sit the exam or not? i'm worried that i'll get stressed about it and screw my chances for next year in the process, or that i'll fail it entirely and have it stuck on my ucas forms. the other option is that it gives me the motivation to succeed - i have been known to slack off until the deadline is scarily close, and this really can't happen with a-levels!

has anyone done/not done the AS, and then gone on to complete the full a-level? would you recommend/not recommend it? any stories/suggestions greatly apreciated! thanks!

ReputationRep:
    "Gotten" is not a word in British English.

From your description, it's only the students who might not pass the A level who are made to take the AS. This in itself should give you confidence in your ability, or at least your teachers' assessment of your abilities. No-one will be able to comment about the new specification you're taking because you're the first cohort!

Have you asked your teachers for an honest assessment of how well they think you'd do were you to take the AS in June?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    "Gotten" is not a word in British English.

From your description, it's only the students who might not pass the A level who are made to take the AS. This in itself should give you confidence in your ability, or at least your teachers' assessment of your abilities. No-one will be able to comment about the new specification you're taking because you're the first cohort!

Have you asked your teachers for an honest assessment of how well they think you'd do were you to take the AS in June?
    thanks. i talked it over with my teachers and decided i won't sit the AS.

(i lived in new jersey until i was 12 - 'gotten' is part of the vocabulary there and i still can't shake it) thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mole.p)
    thanks. i talked it over with my teachers and decided i won't sit the AS.

(i lived in new jersey until i was 12 - 'gotten' is part of the vocabulary there and i still can't shake it) thank you!
    You're welcome

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.