Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Will a low fat diet help me lose weight? Vs calorie counting Watch

ReputationRep:
    I know that sounds like a stupid question, but all I hear is about watching calories or carbs, I don't hear so much about the actual fat content.

I'm asking because I got put on Orlistat today, which for those who aren't aware is a weight loss medication where if you eat above the daily fat limit you get a leaky bum :awesome: . So I will be sticking to the 12g or below per meal! However I am aware that it will not necessarily mean things are low calorie. I guess I just wanted to know of being on a low fat diet is enough in itself.

ReputationRep:
    the only way that you will lose weight is to create a calorie debt each day , whether that is down to activty or limiting intake

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Corbynista)
    Going vegan and staying active will help you lose weight...
    Or you could just eat a healthy natural diet and not go vegan...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)

I'm asking because I got put on Orlistat today, which for those who aren't aware is a weight loss medication where if you eat above the daily fat limit you get a leaky bum :awesome: .

And you consider this necessary to lose weight?

Let alone a proportionate step in that direction?

ReputationRep:
    Going vegan and staying active will help you lose weight...
    Pretty radical approach for the non-vegan, don't you think? Decreasing total caloric intake by simply eating less would be a much more realistic approach and would work just as well.

ReputationRep:
    It may be radical and I can understand for some it would be a massive jump but it is worth it in the long term.
    How so if you have no plans of becoming a vegan in the long term?

ReputationRep:
    Let's not pretend that eating meat is in anyway "healthy" or "natural".
    Thankfully, society at large agrees with me.

You enjoy yourself, and I'll enjoy my steaks.

ReputationRep:
    It's no coincidence that society at large also happens to be overweight/obese and also happen to eat meat.... But you enjoy your stakes while it lasts that is.
    You have an agenda regarding veganism, and that's fine but let's not conflate that agenda with unverified health claims.

It's as possible to lose weight on a meat and plant based diet as it is a vegan diet. A vegan diet has no particular magical properties which promote weight loss, apart from the fact that vegan diets can be less energy dense. However, there's plenty of vegans who eat too many calories by overconsuming nuts, seeds and sugar, and there's plenty of meat-eaters who eat few calories by wise food choices.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    How so if you have no plans of becoming a vegan in the long term?
    You came back?! Good.

ReputationRep:
    In all seriousness, going vegan is a great way to eat a low fat diet. Beans, pulses and lentils are all high in fibre (therefore filling) and a good source of protein, but very low fat. Even plain tofu and soya milk is relatively low in fat but high in protein. Something like a lentil cottage pie (onions, garlic and green lentils with carrots, tomatoes, stock, herbs etc) with a sweet potato mash (needs no butter, a little salt and some soya milk) plus broccoli on the side would fill you up far too much for you to ever eat it in excess. High in fibre, cheap and low fat too...

ReputationRep:
    It's no coincidence that society at large also happens to be overweight/obese and also happen to eat meat.... But you enjoy your stakes while it lasts that is.
    You can thank excess sugar for that not meat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    I know that sounds like a stupid question, but all I hear is about watching calories or carbs, I don't hear so much about the actual fat content.

I'm asking because I got put on Orlistat today, which for those who aren't aware is a weight loss medication where if you eat above the daily fat limit you get a leaky bum :awesome: . So I will be sticking to the 12g or below per meal! However I am aware that it will not necessarily mean things are low calorie. I guess I just wanted to know of being on a low fat diet is enough in itself.
    The only way to lose weight is to eat fewer calories than you expend. This can be achieved in several ways, one of which is to either eat less fat (which has 9kCal per gram, so very energy dense) or to bind some of the fat you consume in the gut so it can't be absorbed and metabolised. A low-fat diet per se doesn't lead to weight loss - it's the reduction in total energy which results from the reduced fat intake which is important. Similarly, you could lose weight with a normal/high fat diet and a low carbohydrate one - again, it's the reduction in energy which is important, not where that energy is coming from.

ReputationRep:
    I think you will find everything I have said is backed up by evidence....

You have confused an American lobbying group with independent peer-reviewed scientific research as evidence.

I'm not going to get into an argument with you about your evangelical veganism because in my experience it is entirely futile.

ReputationRep:
    Fat is very calorific. If you avoid fat and otherwise eat normally, you'll probably be eating a somewhat lower-calorie diet.

Meat, dairy, and eggs tend to contain more fat and more calories per gram than beans, nuts, and veg, so I'd stand by the other vegans in this thread and say that a vegan diet is a good one if you want to lose weight.

ReputationRep:
    Diets are all very well and good, and i'm on one at the moment. The problem is, when you have reached your ideal weight. Most people, myself included on more than one occasion, gradually start eating the way they used to again. Then the weight goes back on. BUT.. If you continue eating like you did on a diet you are going to continue to lose weight even when you have reached your target. Finding the right balance of calorie intake when you get to your ideal weight to be able to maintain it long term is the tricky bit.

ReputationRep:
    actually fat helps you feel satiated and healthy fats are very good for you - you'd be far better getting off the garbage like orlistat and just eating a normal, healthy diet (including fat!)
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Track calories, don't cut your fat too much. Don't go vegan.

Just eat less.

ReputationRep:
    Yes! fat content is so much more important than calorie intake!

A diet that predominately consists of meat, fish, eggs, and vegetables works the best for weight loss in my experience. Forget all those shakes and protein powders and crap like that, if you're eating well you won't need it. Make sure portion sizes aren't too big as well.

Try to cut out (mostly but not completely) dairy and carbs. Make sure you still do get some healthy carbs though, potatoes maybe. You need them for excercise. Bread, pasta, and dairy products are b-a-d for diets.

Don't go to any extremes (like going vegan) bcs then it just wont last
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    No you need to learn how to eat a normal balanced diet, just less of it. A great place to start is reading the FAQ and using Myfitnesspal calorie counter. If you don't cook, learning how to cook for yourself is a awesome way of helping you to lose weight

(Original post by fergijane88)
    Yes! fat content is so much more important than calorie intake!

A diet that predominately consists of meat, fish, eggs, and vegetables works the best for weight loss in my experience. Forget all those shakes and protein powders and crap like that, if you're eating well you won't need it. Make sure portion sizes aren't too big as well.

Try to cut out (mostly but not completely) dairy and carbs. Make sure you still do get some healthy carbs though, potatoes maybe. You need them for excercise. Bread, pasta, and dairy products are b-a-d for diets.

Don't go to any extremes (like going vegan) bcs then it just wont last
    You've managed to say in your post

- Fat is evil
    - Relatively high fat foods such as meat, fish and eggs are good
    - Carbs in the form of vegetables are good
    - Protein is evil
    - Carbs are evil
    - Dairy is evil

Solid
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry cucumber)
    No you need to learn how to eat a normal balanced diet, just less of it. A great place to start is reading the FAQ and using Myfitnesspal calorie counter. If you don't cook, learning how to cook for yourself is a awesome way of helping you to lose weight

You've managed to say in your post

- Fat is evil
    - Relatively high fat foods such as meat, fish and eggs are good
    - Carbs in the form of vegetables are good
    - Protein is evil
    - Carbs are evil
    - Dairy is evil

Solid
    I love your posting sometimes i must concede.

Where has this war on dairy/fat come from? Probably being pushed by the vegatarian/vegan community.

It can **** right back off to where it came from

Proud member of the 3 x 2L of blue milk a week crew.
    Meat every day crew

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 20, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.