The Student Room Group

Lonely in last year at university

I'm in my third year at uni now, and although I've had ups and downs, I've generally always been happy there. I live with 5 other people that I've always lived with and really enjoy living with, but this year it hasn't been the same. Three out of five have boyfriends/girlfriends and we're all super busy - we haven't been in a room together as a six once since starting in September. I'm a busy person but I find that at night in particular, I feel really lonely because I've not seen my housemates, or when I have they've been with their bfs/gfs/other friends. Is it normal to feel like this in your last year?
Reply 1
I was lonely in my first 2-3 years of uni and then in my final year I put myself out there and joined societies and clubs and I met a really close friend. It's all about taking that first step and meeting people. The thing is, final year is the most important year so you should focus on your coursework and exams to be honest. Do leave time to arrange meet ups with your flatmates though. They're probably busy with work too but just talk to them when you can.
Original post by LoveForLit
I'm in my third year at uni now, and although I've had ups and downs, I've generally always been happy there. I live with 5 other people that I've always lived with and really enjoy living with, but this year it hasn't been the same. Three out of five have boyfriends/girlfriends and we're all super busy - we haven't been in a room together as a six once since starting in September. I'm a busy person but I find that at night in particular, I feel really lonely because I've not seen my housemates, or when I have they've been with their bfs/gfs/other friends. Is it normal to feel like this in your last year?

Hello,

It's quite natural to feel this way. As the years progress, things change. People get jobs, the work load increases, people get into relationships and generally become busier and everyone drifts a little - it is natural. It's that case when you're busy all the time, but when you're not and you stop, you just miss how things were.

Try talking to your housemates and see if you can do a night where you all watch a film together or have dinner together or sit and do work together. I'm sure they will all be up for it. Or try and join a society and dedicate some of your extra time to that.

Just remember it is normal and just because people are busy - not because friendships have ended and such.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending