Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently studying BIT (half computer science and half business) but am struggling to get my placement because any programming jobs which is what I want aren't accepting me because people with just computer science are getting in ahead of me and I am not deemed as qualified as they are. I feel like i've hit a real stumbling block and don't know what to do because my degree just isn't working for me and getting me to the place I want to go. The way I see it is I have 3 options:

1 - Go back to first year and do a normal computer science degree (however I won't be able to get funding for one of those years)

2- Try to do lots of extracurricular events to make myself more attractive to employers and to gain more experience (however I'm worried this won't be enough to put me an a par with normal computer science students)

3- Finish my degree and do some sort of post grad but I'm unsure if this will put me on a par with a computer science student

Can anybody help me?
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NiallBelfast)
    I'm currently studying BIT (half computer science and half business) but am struggling to get my placement because any programming jobs which is what I want aren't accepting me because people with just computer science are getting in ahead of me and I am not deemed as qualified as they are. I feel like i've hit a real stumbling block and don't know what to do because my degree just isn't working for me and getting me to the place I want to go. The way I see it is I have 3 options:

1 - Go back to first year and do a normal computer science degree (however I won't be able to get funding for one of those years)

2- Try to do lots of extracurricular events to make myself more attractive to employers and to gain more experience (however I'm worried this won't be enough to put me an a par with normal computer science students)

3- Finish my degree and do some sort of post grad but I'm unsure if this will put me on a par with a computer science student

Can anybody help me?

Hi there NiallBelfast,

I think the most important thing to do at this stage is sit down and have a really good chat with your course tutors as they should be able to give you informed advice about the best step to take. They probably have a lot of experience of advising students with similar concerns.

Also, any feedback you can get following your placement interviews may prove useful in shedding a light on what exactly will help bolster your CV and make it more attractive to potential employers.

Wishing you all the very best with your future studies!

Kachela
    (Team Queen's)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.