Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've been made to change rooms because when I got back from xmas break my room wall's were all damp and I was fine with this new room but then I started noticing the smell of weed A LOT. I've never minded it but lately it makes me really nauseous to the point I even get woken up by the smell of it and I haven't been eating because it just makes me so ill. I'm pretty sure whoever smokes is on the room under me or on the lower floor but I'm not sure so I don't even know who I should talk to. Should I say something to the halls' management? I don't want to be that person or bring anyone problems but I really can't deal with it anymore. Would it bring them any serious trouble(UK)?

ReputationRep:
    when u say room under me or lower floor do you mean that they're in another flat that's close to yours? if they're in another flat then i'd report it to your RA or reception or whatever person is there to deal with stuff like this. Or if there is some kind of group chat or facebook group for your accommodation, go on there and make a post explaining this which could make the person stop smoking. If the person is in your flat, send a message to your flat to explain why you don't like the smell and ask them to stop, if they don't then report it to your RA

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I mean, there are no flats, is just a couple of really long corridors with a lot of rooms and then a couple of kitchens to share. I share a kitchen with 23 other students so you can imagine, I barely know the people around me, even less so those who live on the floor under me. I meant it's got to be someone from the lower floor because our corridor never smells? Sadly, we don't have a facebook group but I guess if I keep having this problem (I'm going to buy an air freshener asap lol) I'll try and look for the guy to talk to him/her. thx <3

ReputationRep:
    Yes 100% they know what trouble smoking weed can bring them. and if anyone tells you where snitches end up dont listen to them they are idiots

ReputationRep:
    If their addiction and idiocy is affecting you. Then yes tell. At the end of the day you are looking after yourself primary. If they use drugs to do what ever and that effects your ability to live then sod them. Don't worry about the trouble it brings them, they know what they are doing, by doing so they should accept any responsibility that brings on them regarding law etc.

ReputationRep:
    An air freshener won't help you much. Absolutely report it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mar96)
    I've been made to change rooms because when I got back from xmas break my room wall's were all damp and I was fine with this new room but then I started noticing the smell of weed A LOT. I've never minded it but lately it makes me really nauseous to the point I even get woken up by the smell of it and I haven't been eating because it just makes me so ill. I'm pretty sure whoever smokes is on the room under me or on the lower floor but I'm not sure so I don't even know who I should talk to. Should I say something to the halls' management? I don't want to be that person or bring anyone problems but I really can't deal with it anymore. Would it bring them any serious trouble(UK)?
    Just report it, no one will know it's you who did it.

ReputationRep:
    Join in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mar96)
    Yeah that smell is gross... but this is the thing with halls. You don't choose who you live with. There's gonna be messy people, loud people, weird people, people who smoke weed. If it really is unbearable maybe like anonymously post a friendly message through a few doors just telling them kindly the problem? They probably will just laugh at it but then at least you tried before going to the halls people.

ReputationRep:
    If you know who it is then it's worth speaking to them privately first and explaining the constant smell is making you physically ill (might be worth claiming asthma too) - it's possible they'd be happy to smoke outside or at a friends house if they know. Then if they don't stop you know yoou did all you could and can report them guilt free.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mar96)
    Is your uni in the Midlands?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    As someone who smokes you really need to chill out lol it's not that deep.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Universal Student Living

Universal Student Living

“All-inclusive student accommodation in prime locations across the UK.”

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.