Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So I have a lot of collectable items that I bought many years ago now. Obviously the price I paid for them back then is incomparable to what they are worth now. In total, it's over 1000 items or so, and easily worth 100k+. I've created a website where I'll be selling them, as I despise eBay with a passion. Is there anything I need to do in terms of listing it as a business, or filing tax things etc? My knowledge in this domain is literally 0, so any help would be grateful . Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    You are setting yourself up as a business, and thus come under HMRC's rules for such sellers.

Your post doesn't quite add up. You're claiming that these items are worth £100,000, yet you intend to list them on a website to sell them in a business capacity with no knowledge of business, accountancy, tax implications and the like? Really?

The taxes you pay will depend on whether you incorporate your business (i.e. set up a company with limited liability) or trade as a Sole Trader. Given the turnover you're suggesting, you would also have to register and charge VAT on the items (unless they're exempt/zero rated) and pay this over to the Revenue. You really need to do an awful lot of research if you're serious about successfully making money by a business venture.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ViralRiver)
    So I have a lot of collectable items that I bought many years ago now. Obviously the price I paid for them back then is incomparable to what they are worth now. In total, it's over 1000 items or so, and easily worth 100k+. I've created a website where I'll be selling them, as I despise eBay with a passion. Is there anything I need to do in terms of listing it as a business, or filing tax things etc? My knowledge in this domain is literally 0, so any help would be grateful . Thanks.
    It depends whether it is considered a trade. What is and isn't a trade isn't defined by statue so I can't say for certain but it doesn't sound to me like a trade.

Look up badges of trade. Basically, selling your possessions doesn't necessarily make it a business. Just like selling your house doesn't make you a property dealer.

You can easily argue to HMRC that it is not a business. It is disposing of your assets. That would mean that no VAT or income tax is due.

However, capital gains tax could be due. That depends on what you are selling.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.