Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Query regarding 'selling' and tax Watch

ReputationRep:
    So I have a lot of collectable items that I bought many years ago now. Obviously the price I paid for them back then is incomparable to what they are worth now. In total, it's over 1000 items or so, and easily worth 100k+. I've created a website where I'll be selling them, as I despise eBay with a passion. Is there anything I need to do in terms of listing it as a business, or filing tax things etc? My knowledge in this domain is literally 0, so any help would be grateful . Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    You are setting yourself up as a business, and thus come under HMRC's rules for such sellers.

Your post doesn't quite add up. You're claiming that these items are worth £100,000, yet you intend to list them on a website to sell them in a business capacity with no knowledge of business, accountancy, tax implications and the like? Really?

The taxes you pay will depend on whether you incorporate your business (i.e. set up a company with limited liability) or trade as a Sole Trader. Given the turnover you're suggesting, you would also have to register and charge VAT on the items (unless they're exempt/zero rated) and pay this over to the Revenue. You really need to do an awful lot of research if you're serious about successfully making money by a business venture.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ViralRiver)
    So I have a lot of collectable items that I bought many years ago now. Obviously the price I paid for them back then is incomparable to what they are worth now. In total, it's over 1000 items or so, and easily worth 100k+. I've created a website where I'll be selling them, as I despise eBay with a passion. Is there anything I need to do in terms of listing it as a business, or filing tax things etc? My knowledge in this domain is literally 0, so any help would be grateful . Thanks.
    It depends whether it is considered a trade. What is and isn't a trade isn't defined by statue so I can't say for certain but it doesn't sound to me like a trade.

Look up badges of trade. Basically, selling your possessions doesn't necessarily make it a business. Just like selling your house doesn't make you a property dealer.

You can easily argue to HMRC that it is not a business. It is disposing of your assets. That would mean that no VAT or income tax is due.

However, capital gains tax could be due. That depends on what you are selling.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.