Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What should I do to show I have an interest in a language when I'm not doing one atm? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    i want to do japanese at uni but im currently studying bio, chem, maths and art bc i thought i wanted to be a doctor but ive changed my mind now. im in year 12 atm and i need to start looking at ways to show i still have an interest for languages and japanese as well. would reading books be something i can talk about on my ps? im really not sure what i should be doing
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Books definitely. Can you start learning the language on the side? You need to show an interest in the language and the culture outside of school work anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    Try starting on the basics of the language on your own (is there a(n evening) course you can take where you live? - it's not that rare a language), and look at getting some reading material on the culture - maybe see if a local library has anything, or order something online. Avoid fiction for culture to start with unless you really like it, I'd say, for obvious reasons.

Would your college allow you to sit in on some language(s) or English language AS/A-level lessons as well, even if you can't take them 'officially'?

Any/all of these will help you prove interest, and it's great that you've allowed yourself time to do them before year 13!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IrinaI)
    Hi,
    Try starting on the basics of the language on your own (is there a(n evening) course you can take where you live? - it's not that rare a language), and look at getting some reading material on the culture - maybe see if a local library has anything, or order something online. Avoid fiction for culture to start with unless you really like it, I'd say, for obvious reasons.

Would your college allow you to sit in on some language(s) or English language AS/A-level lessons as well, even if you can't take them 'officially'?

Any/all of these will help you prove interest, and it's great that you've allowed yourself time to do them before year 13!
    why would you say stay away from fiction? i was thinking of reading some like well known literature but maybe that might not be a good idea.
    my school is quite strict and i only get 8 free periods for 2 weeks worth of lessons so i wouldnt have many opportunities to sit in on another class and my school doesnt offer english language anyway. ive asked the spanish department if i could tutor some younger years so im hoping that would be good to put on my PS to show i still have an interest in languages.
    i feel like saying that trying to learn the language beforehand is so cliche and probably everyone writes that for something like japanese but maybe im overthinking lol. ive also visited japan so could i write about that?

ReputationRep:
    You definitely have to show an interest in the culture itself. It's one thing to learn a language, but another to show genuine passion for their culture and ideals!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asphyxiax)
    why would you say stay away from fiction? i was thinking of reading some like well known literature but maybe that might not be a good idea.
    my school is quite strict and i only get 8 free periods for 2 weeks worth of lessons so i wouldnt have many opportunities to sit in on another class and my school doesnt offer english language anyway. ive asked the spanish department if i could tutor some younger years so im hoping that would be good to put on my PS to show i still have an interest in languages.
    i feel like saying that trying to learn the language beforehand is so cliche and probably everyone writes that for something like japanese but maybe im overthinking lol. ive also visited japan so could i write about that?
    I'd say reading fiction is more of a complement to an A-level or other study about the language and culture, just because it's better if you can look at things similar to what you'd be looking at at uni.

The tutoring would be a good idea, but you'd still need to do something on Japanese specifically.

It's true that a lot of people make a start on learning the language before uni, but since you're not doing any languages at A-level you have to show that you've tried to learn a foreign language before. Imagine a Maths applicant who hasn't done much Maths before.

Have you tried looking at the PS library on TSR? That should give you an idea of what people applying to language degree do in terms of extra-curriculars.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asphyxiax)
    i want to do japanese at uni but im currently studying bio, chem, maths and art bc i thought i wanted to be a doctor but ive changed my mind now. im in year 12 atm and i need to start looking at ways to show i still have an interest for languages and japanese as well. would reading books be something i can talk about on my ps? im really not sure what i should be doing
    Japanese is a wonderful language, and it's great that you've decided you'd like to learn! Learning Japanese is quite a different experience to learning European languages, however, considering the extreme differences in grammar and the writing system.

The following article on our website gives a few interesting websites that help when learning kanji, and might give you a taste of what's to come:

http://www.thetutorpages.com/tutor-a...ing-kanji/1280

If you wish to show your dedication, you may consider going to group classes at the local language school, or getting a Japanese tutor, at least to start you off. We have a number of Japanese tutors listed on our site, although there may not be one in your area.

http://www.thetutorpages.com/japanese-tutors

If you begin your Japanese studies now, you'll have a chance to find out whether you really enjoy it, and if it's the right choice for you for university.

Good luck!

Emma

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.