Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Swedish opposition leader offers olive branch to nationalist party Watch

The leader of Sweden's Moderate party called on the center-right opposition to unite to bring down the minority coalition government with help from the Sweden Democrats, a sign the anti-immigration party could be starting to lose its pariah status.

Mainstream politicians have so far refused to have anything to do with the Sweden Democrat party after they first won seats in parliament in 2010. The party was called "racist" by Moderate leader Anna Kinberg Batra only six months ago.

But in a U-turn she said the Moderates would now be prepared to work with the party in parliament and would be prepared to take power with passive support from the Sweden Democrats.

"In questions where there are the conditions for agreement, I do not think we should exclude building a majority with the Sweden Democrats," Batra told reporters.

However, she ruled out forming a formal coalition with the Sweden Democrats or including them in preparing an joint opposition Alliance budget.

"But again, I do not want to begin talks on forming a government ... or budget negotiations," she said.

Two members of the four-party Alliance rejected Batra's call to bring down the center-left coalition by uniting behind an alternative budget proposition in September.

"We want to change the government but not with support from the Sweden Democrats," Annie Loof, leader of Alliance member the Centre party said.

"Tomorrow Donald Trump is sworn in as president, yesterday Britain's prime minister said there would be a 'hard Brexit'. In times like these, we need security, stability and leadership."

The smallest Alliance party, Christian Democrats, said it supported the proposal from the Moderates.

A wave of nationalism across Europe, sparked in part by growing worries about immigration, has boosted support for the Sweden Democrats, who won around 13% of the vote in 2014. They are now around 21.5% in the latest polls.

Their popularity has widened divisions in the Alliance between those on the right, who want to reach out a hand and secure a parliamentary majority and those who see the party as untouchable. The Moderates have been bleeding voters to the Sweden Democrats in recent polls.

"With the Moderates and the Alliance doing badly they may need to shake things up, and this should be seen in this perspective," said Jonas Hinnfors, political scientist at Gothenburg University.

With the Centre and Liberal parties against any form of cooperation with the Sweden Democrats, the centre-right Alliance bloc could face a rupture less than three years after losing power.

"If they can't agree on that question, I will think that will make it hard to form an agreement on a government," said Sweden Democrat leader Jimmie Akesson, who wants closer cooperation with the Moderates.

They have overtaken the Moderates as the second largest party, according to the poll, trailing only the Social Democrats.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-sw...-idUSKBN1531M0

ReputationRep:
    Good. If all right-wingers banded together then we'd easily be able to banish the left to the history books once and for all.

(Original post by Len Goodman)
    Good. If all right-wingers banded together then we'd easily be able to banish the left to the history books once and for all.
    The Sweden Democrats aren't right-wing. They themselves call themselves nationalists and social conservatives, but their economic policies are somewhat to the left of the centre-left Alliance.

Honestly, the label "neo-fascist" is more accurate than "far-right", because they have little in common with the general right-wing, except a select few social policies, such as immigration.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)
    The Sweden Democrats aren't right-wing. They themselves call themselves nationalists and social conservatives, but their economic policies are somewhat to the left of the centre-left Alliance.

Honestly, the label "neo-fascist" is more accurate than "far-right", because they have little in common with the general right-wing, except a select few social policies, such as immigration.
    What you call "neo-fascist" I call common sense.

ReputationRep:
    You never learn do you?

Update

Swedish Moderate leader's power play backfires leaving opposition divisions exposed
    http://www.thelocal.se/20170119/oppo...udget-proposal

Really? I thought you sounded like a right-winger. If so, I think you are underestimating the divides between traditional conservatism, and these neo-fascist parties. You are only allies while the left is a threat; but while neo-fascist parties can appeal to all voters, even those who traditionally vote left, conservative parties cannot.

Neo-fascists are a threat to the right-wing.

(Original post by cbreef)
    You never learn do you?
    I want to bump this thread but I have nothing to add so I'll pretend I misunderstood what you said
    What do you mean?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)
    I want to bump this thread but I have nothing to add so I'll pretend I misunderstood what you said
    What do you mean?
    He's a troll. Been banned in the past for saying some rather extreme things.

(Original post by cbreef)
    He's a troll. Been banned in the past for saying some rather extreme things.
    I see

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 20, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.