Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Economic Objectives of a new town? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello guys iam a city planning engineering student , and i need ur help am designin a new suburban town and my teacher asked me to find economic base and objectives of that new town and i need ur help sooo much .
    Thank u .
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

(Original post by Chrain9)
    Hello guys iam a city planning engineering student , and i need ur help am designin a new suburban town and my teacher asked me to find economic base and objectives of that new town and i need ur help sooo much .
    Thank u .
    Where do you want the town to be located like what country?

Focuses can be on manufacturing, tourism, residential, entertainment (like Las Vegas) etc... I don't know what you would prefer.

Economic base? Like how would the city make money? One of the above industries probably.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    thank u for replaying

Well it located in suburban of a city in iraq and its for low income citizens, since its location is far from the center of the city they should have somthing to increase their economy situation , and yes i mean how the newtown could make money !!!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Thank u .
    This isn't really an Economics question (in the traditional sense anyway). Nevertheless, a good approach might be to look at what already exists in this town and then look at areas where the town is in shortage of something. So for example, by being located in the suburbs, you could probably set up a manufacturing hub of sorts for whatever is in high demand in the town. What product might be manufactured is something I can't answer as I don't know anything about the town's dynamics, but it's a typical route to boost economic growth if you have a lot of low-income citizens.

For even higher level reasoning, look at the viability of such ideas. For example, I'll explore the manufacturing hub idea in more detail. It's going to need a lot of power, so is this something the town has or are there frequent power cuts? Is the infrastructure in place to support manufacturing (are the inputs located nearby, and can the outputs be transported to their customers easily)? How does the geography of your town play a role? (e.g. a hilly area could make manufacturing a more difficult proposition) To what extent is your area open to FDI, or is there any sort of financing capacity available? These are all areas of interest to explore and will show significant critical thinking.

Hope that helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Financier)
    This isn't really an Economics question (in the traditional sense anyway). Nevertheless, a good approach might be to look at what already exists in this town and then look at areas where the town is in shortage of something. So for example, by being located in the suburbs, you could probably set up a manufacturing hub of sorts for whatever is in high demand in the town. What product might be manufactured is something I can't answer as I don't know anything about the town's dynamics, but it's a typical route to boost economic growth if you have a lot of low-income citizens.

For even higher level reasoning, look at the viability of such ideas. For example, I'll explore the manufacturing hub idea in more detail. It's going to need a lot of power, so is this something the town has or are there frequent power cuts? Is the infrastructure in place to support manufacturing (are the inputs located nearby, and can the outputs be transported to their customers easily)? How does the geography of your town play a role? (e.g. a hilly area could make manufacturing a more difficult proposition) To what extent is your area open to FDI, or is there any sort of financing capacity available? These are all areas of interest to explore and will show significant critical thinking.

Hope that helps!

Well thank u so much i know it wasnt an economic question but i had to post it i was so in need of informations , but can it be a recreational place ?? Because the topography of the land is hill type . And am so confused how it can be a powerfull land for the citizens and for their economy situation!!!!!!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Well thank u so much i know it wasnt an economic question but i had to post it i was so in need of informations , but can it be a recreational place ?? Because the topography of the land is hill type . And am so confused how it can be a powerfull land for the citizens and for their economy situation!!!!!!
    Like a park? I'd say the economic benefits from a park are generally quite restricted for a place like Iraq. The indirect benefits are very small (at most, I'd say it might boost the local property market) but won't provide much in the way of jobs, which would have contributed far more towards economic development.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Financier)
    Like a park? I'd say the economic benefits from a park are generally quite restricted for a place like Iraq. The indirect benefits are very small (at most, I'd say it might boost the local property market) but won't provide much in the way of jobs, which would have contributed far more towards economic development.

No i dont refer parks too for economic benefits, thats why am confused i dont know what should I choose to bring a good income for the town as long as it will be used by low income citizens!!!!! And do you have any ideas about industrial tourism!!?? Your answer will be so helpful

Thank you
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    No i dont refer parks too for economic benefits, thats why am confused i dont know what should I choose to bring a good income for the town as long as it will be used by low income citizens!!!!! And do you have any ideas about industrial tourism!!?? Your answer will be so helpful

Thank you
    As I said, what is viable and what will actually be approapriate for the town will depend on your knowledge of the local area. I gave an example of a manufacturing hub, but you'll know more about the town than I do. Do you have a location already or perhaps some of your own ideas as to how to generate economic activity?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.