The Student Room Group

Donald Trump becomes president today

Donald Trump becomes the 45th President of the United States today. I thought it would be fun to set up a thread devoted to videos, memes, gif etc from his inauguration today.

To say he is a divisive and controversial figure would be an understatement. He promises unity and change, but will be deliver?

What kind of President do you think he'll make?

Scroll to see replies

Trump admits he "aint the sharpest tool in the shed"

[video="youtube;42-kadkmxy8"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42-kadkmxy8[/video]
I suspect he will get more than Obama got done given that the Republicans have a majority in both houses and would probably take quite a big political swing for the Democrats to win back a lot of seats.at the midterms. For all his divisive image he's not really proposing anything too radical (at least from the perspective of Americans who are deeply suspicious of things like the welfare state). And he seems like more of an isolationist more interested in defending US borders rather than being a warmongering hawk who wants to further US interests in other parts of the world.

For all his faults, I do admire the no-nonsense way in which he talks. He's clearly ********ting without a script (or minimal rehearsal) in a lot of his speeches. Yet he never really seems to stumble and I think he has quite cleverly grasped onto concerns among voters that the US was losing its status as the most important country in the world and being made to look impotent by the actions of Russia.

Hopefully he doesn't go the way of Obama though. For all the rallying cries of 'change!' during his first election, he gradually turned into just a highly polished mouthpiece for the team of advisors that surrounded him. Over time I think he became more and more arrogant and distant from the people who elected him in the first place. Hillary was a terrible candidate, she would have been exactly the same.
This will be an interesting 4 years for america

8ee.jpg
No matter what you think of trump lets all wish america a happy 4-8 years and hope everything will go well.

I for one hope for a stronger relationship between Britain and America certainly something better than what obama did.

Congratulations on the victory Trump. Godspeed
Original post by AperfectBalance
No matter what you think of trump lets all wish america a happy 4-8 years and hope everything will go well.

I for one hope for a stronger relationship between Britain and America certainly something better than what obama did.

Congratulations on the victory Trump. Godspeed

Trump is hopefully a good thing for Brexit. Obama's 'back of the queue' comments and fact that his last formal conversation with a world leader as president was with Angela Merkel makes one think that Hillary's Brexit rhetoric would have been quite different to what Trump is currently saying.
He is the embodiment of neoliberal, populist degeneracy but while he's here we may as well enjoy the effect this will have on the left.
Original post by ManiaMuse
Trump is hopefully a good thing for Brexit. Obama's 'back of the queue' comments and fact that his last formal conversation with a world leader as president was with Angela Merkel makes one think that Hillary's Brexit rhetoric would have been quite different to what Trump is currently saying.

Yep. cant belive how rude obama was towards us.
Original post by TheРeoplesPath
He is the embodiment of neoliberal, populist degeneracy but while he's here we may as well enjoy the effect this will have on the left.

You speak of degeneracy and you have that as your profile picture how funny.
Original post by AperfectBalance
You speak of degeneracy and you have that as your profile picture how funny.

Let me guess: you don't know anything about fascism?
Reply 11
I'm really done with America, like we have to put up with so much sh*t from them, homophobia, gun violence, racism, Trump... can we just put them in the naughty corner and ignore them until they learn to be better? I feel like every day I am seeing something in the news from America that makes my heart sink. I feel sorry for the poor Americans who hate what they see going on around them but have to live it.
[video="youtube;FdBF6h7oH5I"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdBF6h7oH5I[/video]

the best thing that came out of that embarrassment of an election
Well at this point all we can do is hope for the best. I don't really care about how well or badly he performs as president economically, just so long as race relations improve and the fundie Christians don't get their way.
I can't wait to see how he'll handle the foreign relations with my country and I hope he'll maintain the big brother relationship that the two countries share.
That being said I'm not actually a Trump supporter but I'm willing to hold out hope.
(Mostly for the sake of my mental health because I've been advised allowing things upset me/stress me will further worsen my situation)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by StrawbAri
Well at this point all we can do is hope for the best. I don't really care about how well or badly he performs as president economically, just so long as race relations improve and the fundie Christians don't get their way.
I can't wait to see how he'll handle the foreign relations with my country and I hope he'll maintain the big brother relationship that the two countries share.
That being said I'm not actually a Trump supporter but I'm willing to hold out hope.

Yeah actually. I'm not a Trump supporter either but all we can do is hope for the best...:smile:
A day that will live in infamy.
It's going to be an interesting few years.

I wonder if he'll continue to have hissy fits on Twitter.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
A day that will live in infamy.

The thing I like best about you, and there are many, is that you never miss the chance to go way, way over the top.

😁

Infamy?

Get a sense of proportion, please. Anyone would think he likes to grab people by the pussy, or pays the best working girls in the world to wee all over the bed his predecessor as President slept in!
Original post by Quantex
It's going to be an interesting few years.

I wonder if he'll continue to have hissy fits on Twitter.

I want to see the staffer that tries to get him to stop...
The best thing to come out of the election.

Quick Reply

Latest