Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Joker ~)
    Regardless of your side of the divide... ultra left, left, right, ultra right... hitting someone who is not attacking you is .....Dat awkward moment when you pollute the resistance with unnecessary violence.
    Are you gonna talk in stupid empty internet meme speak when they shuvle Muslims in gas chambers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    Are you gonna talk in stupid empty internet meme speak when they shuvle Muslims in gas chambers?

Talking and torturing people are two different things..
    I suggest you think before you talk ... Have a good night ~

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    your a fat diabetes insulin fueled mess

ReputationRep:
    Race war got a little too real, then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danny Dorito)
    Donald Trump becomes the 45th President of the United States today. I thought it would be fun to set up a thread devoted to videos, memes, gif etc from his inauguration today.

To say he is a divisive and controversial figure would be an understatement. He promises unity and change, but will be deliver?

What kind of President do you think he'll make?
    Due to the fact that there were riots and protests on his first day, I doubt he'll last long.
    Saw pics of the riots, and even the police were struggling to hold the protesters back!

ReputationRep:
    One of two things will happen in trumps presidency

1. The lying biased media will succeed in which case we really will have a dictatorship and probably camps to follow

2 trump will succeed and the lying media will take massive hits

It's to early to say which way this will go but I am rooting for trump

ReputationRep:
    A great number of checks and balances exist in the American political system. We're going to be fine.
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aceadria)
    A great number of checks and balances exist in the American political system. We're going to be fine.
    For domestic issues, that is true (although they have never really been tested, this may be it), but there are very few checks and balances over foreign policy - the US president has huge power in that arena.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    For domestic issues, that is true (although they have never really been tested, this may be it), but there are very few checks and balances over foreign policy - the US president has huge power in that arena.
    Foreign policy is not limited to the President and is actually split across the three legislative branches of the government. A President's primary role is as Commander in Chief of the Navy and Army but the decision to declare war, for example, remains Congress'. His (and hopefully one day, her) power is restricted by the constitution with the Senate's approval being crucial in any notable decision.

ReputationRep:
    Foreign policy is not limited to the President and is actually split across the three legislative branches of the government. A President's primary role is as Commander in Chief of the Navy and Army but the decision to declare war, for example, remains Congress'. His (and hopefully one day, her) power is restricted by the constitution with the Senate's approval being crucial in any notable decision.
    In practise, the President can initiate hostilities and then (in theory) has to go to Congress to obtain approval after 60 days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    In practise, the President can initiate hostilities and then (in theory) has to go to Congress to obtain approval after 60 days.
    Legally, this is not valid. Congress has the power to refuse a President any backing, be it financial or military.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    Legally, this is not valid. Congress has the power to refuse a President any backing, be it financial or military.
    Fullofsuprises is referring to the War Powers Resolution which seeks to legally control the use of troops in warfare. This may or may not be constitutional.

Aceadria's point really relates to the scale of warfare. The President controls the deployment of troops and the use of munitions without Congressional input (save as above). Their salaries will already be authorised.and the shells initially used will be bought and paid for. A small war can be fought within the existing materiel and the President will only need to go to Congress for funds to restock the arsenal later. A larger conflict will need additional supplies whilst the war is afoot and the President needs Congress to authorise those purchases and costs.
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    What tosh, the US president doesn't need Congress' backing to effect foreign policy, he can do it with a tweet. Israel is a good example, Trump has only to say "I recognise Jerusalem as the capital city of Israel and I won't condemn the building of Jewish settlements" and the two-state solution is dead in the water.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    In other words: it is impossible for Trump to ruin the political system in the United States?

ReputationRep:

This is the stupidest thing I've ever read. Congratulations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BioStudentx)
    This is the stupidest thing I've ever read. Congratulations.
    That's where it leads to unless you punch Nazis before they get anywhere

ReputationRep:
    That's where it leads to unless you punch Nazis before they get anywhere
    Or you could prove to everyone else that their ideas are crap not to be taken seriously and in so doing keep the number of Nazis low. You know, like civilised humans.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jape)
    Or you could prove to everyone else that their ideas are crap not to be taken seriously and in so doing keep the number of Nazis low. You know, like civilised humans.
    Pardon me my dear Jape, but is your first name Eugene by any chance ~ ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Joker ~)
    Pardon me my dear Jape, but is your first name Eugene by any chance ~ ?
    Not even close.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.