Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anarchism101)
    Obama had Democratic majorities in both houses when he first came into office, with larger majorities than the GOP has now.
    Well George W Bush did have terrible approval ratings when he left office. A combination of war weariness from the endless wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, the pretty incompetent response to hurricane Katrina and the economic crash which coincided with the election. I guess electing Obama was as much a protest vote as electing Trump.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    "Why I'm for Brexit."

By Lord A$hcroft, 22 June 16.
    http://lordashcroftpolls.com/2016/06/14742/

One puzzle about these weird super-rich people is that none of them give a **** about Britain - they don't even live here. Why are they so concerned then?
    Fair enough I must have misremembered the interview then.

Why does Sean Connery, also a tax exile, care so much about Scotland? Want it to be independent? Expatriates often have a stronger, more romanticised version of the land of their birth than those who live in it and see all its faults day by day.

Both Brexit and Scottish independence play on the same emotions. In both cases people recognised intellectually that it might leave them worse off economically.
    But they voted for it anyway, with their gut.

Rich tax exiles won't be worse off economically in either case. What is it to Connery is Scotland is poorer? They can vote with their hearts without a care in the world.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    A day that will live in infamy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    He never really liked Britain, or even Europe, and was more focused on Asia (at this time, he was pushing for the Trans Pacific Partnership). I also think that he still resented the British colonisation of Kenya.
    its very strange that boris chose the kenyan side of obama rather than the irish side. He could have made a stronger point if he said obama hates britain because he is part irish....

ReputationRep:
    Death to america
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HucktheForde)
    its very strange that boris chose the kenyan side of obama rather than the irish side. He could have made a stronger point if he said obama hates britain because he is part irish....
    O'Bama

Aww look how classy and gracious the Obamas and Trumps are being. Didn't know Trump was capable of graciousness

ReputationRep:
      While not a particularly religious man, each night i pray for Trump to win a second term.

The left wing meltdown would be epic!

ReputationRep:
      Sanders looks like he's just got out of bed, typical lazy left-winger.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by jneill)
      O'Bama
      :lol:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Danny Dorito)
      Trump admits he "aint the sharpest tool in the shed"

Trump's IQ is high, ones of the highest in fact and that's why he won so bigly.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by astutehirstute)
      Both Brexit and Scottish independence play on the same emotions. In both cases people recognised intellectually that it might leave them worse off economically.
      But they voted for it anyway, with their gut.
      To an extent, yes, but the pro-independence side in Scotland in many ways incorporated a rejection of particular policies. That's why Salmond had been so keen to debate Cameron rather than Darling. The Brexit case was far more straightforwardly nationalist-inspired, as epitomised by the "Take back control" slogan - what was important was not what decisions and policies were being made at a European level and whether they were desirable, but that they were being made at a European level at all.

ReputationRep:
      :bawling:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by jneill)
      O'Bama
      I like to think he started out just as Barack O, and then got two degrees and became Barack O BA MA.

ReputationRep:
      And here's the man himself! Now let's get started.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by anarchism101)
      The only good thing to come out of the Trump presidency.

ReputationRep:
      Mike Pence - an inspirational man with actual morals, unlike the vast majority of the millennial generation.
      • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
      What a depressing day, not least because so many people (both on TSR and around the world) are sanitising Trump and his team. Distasteful as his politics are, I'm much more concerned about his total lack of respect for the office of president and the rules and regulations which govern that office. It's gonna be a bumpy few years.

ReputationRep:
      Man's gunna be president

ReputationRep:
      And it's official - President Trump. Repeat after me, liberals - PRESIDENT TRUMP.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.