Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Thoughts on being a weapons designer Watch

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering what you would feel about being a weapons designer? The weapon in mind will be a high performance high precision marksman rifle. So not many will be made, due to the nature of the intended use. Also they should remain in safe hands, armies, and law enforcement agency. I am in two minds about it.
    Cons
    - It's a weapon that plain and basic removes life from the planet.
    - It's a weapon of war.
    - It's main purpose is to kill.
    - A rogue nation can use it to kill people that shouldn't be killed.
    - You get labelled a gun nut.

Pros
    - You are helping a nation out.
    - You are just designing it. What ever the user does is up to them. - It's not a weapon of mass destruction.
    - It won't be mass market so it's ability to inflict death is smaller then lets say a assault rifle.

There are lots of other pros and cons. It seems interesting, because I'll be just interested from the mechanical and manufacturing point of view. But it's a big morals and ethnics one. I was just wondering what other people thought. You're date ability will drop because I doubt most women wouldn't want to date a weapons designer.

ReputationRep:
    I have no moral qualms with designing weapons and as long as I am getting paid enough and it would be intresting to do. But IRL I would not do it because I am not skilled enough to make weapons like that but If I could I wouldnt mind.

ReputationRep:
    You are making weapons which could potentially save hundreds and lives if used correctly. Also you will find plenty of women who loves guns, in the countryside (British home of firearms).

But more on a design point, if you are going to make a precision rifle you are going to be looking at bolt actions and presumably firing a .338 Lapua. Which would then fall directly into the territory of the Accuracy International L115A3.

ReputationRep:
    If you're gonna make a gun, make a cool one.
    Like a ray gun, death ray, bullet bending or something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carthaginian)
    If you're gonna make a gun, make a cool one.
    Like a ray gun, death ray, bullet bending or something.
    Guided bullets are being made. They are called EXACTO rounds which use laser guiding and can adjust their trajectory in flight.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.