The Student Room Group

ISC 1000Q UKCAT practice book

Can someone please explain to me some of these answers??? They don't even make sense!
I can try later today if you post pics of them! I have the book myself though so if you want you can just tell me which questions and I can look them up.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
IMG_0502.jpg
Original post by StationToStation
I can try later today if you post pics of them! I have the book myself though so if you want you can just tell me which questions and I can look them up.
Alright so. The graph shows the reading age of children vs their actual age. Some children read much better than the average for their age, some children read worse and some are average. The line going through the graph represents reading at the same level as you are "supposed" to read at your age. This means that children on top of the line are better than average and children under it are worse.

Q1: This question asks what proportion of children are average or better than average. These children are on the line or on top of the line. Just by looking at the graph you can see that there are more dots on and on top of the line than there are under it. Since e. 61.5% is the only answer that's bigger than 50%, you can instantly see that it has to be the right answer.

Q2: This question asks how many years behind the worst pupil is. Now you're looking at the child who's furthest away from the line from those who are under it. In a quick glance you'll see this is the kid who's 8 but reads at the level of a 4.5-year-old. 8 minus 4.5 is 3.5 so he's 3.5 years behind and the answer is e.

Q3: This question asks what's the average age of pupils who read like a 6-year-old. Now you have to find the line that represents kids who read at this level - there's one who's 5, one who's 5.75 and one who's 6. You add those up and divide the resulting 16.75 by three. Here you could use the calculator but you can also see that you'd get 5 plus whatever 1.75 divided by three is. You can see that 1.75 doesn't divide neatly but you also know it has to be something under 0.6, you can deduct that the answer has to be c. 5.583.

Q4: Here you need to see how many six-year-olds would be underperforming when they're 7 if they increased their reading age by 0.75 in the following year. Now you need to look up the 6-year-olds and see what their reading ages are. we have a kid who reads like a 5.5-year-old, one who reads like a 5.75-year-old, one who reads like a 6-year-old and one who reads like a 6.25-year-old. The kids will be underperforming if their reading age isn't 7 or over. We know that the reading ages of them all only increase by 0.75. So, we can see that only the kid who's currently reading like a 6.25-year-old will not be underperforming at 7. Therefore we're left with three underperforming children and the answer d.

Hope this makes more sense :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by StationToStation
Alright so. The graph shows the reading age of children vs their actual age. Some children read much better than the average for their age, some children read worse and some are average. The line going through the graph represents reading at the same level as you are "supposed" to read at your age. This means that children on top of the line are better than average and children under it are worse.

Q1: This question asks what proportion of children are average or better than average. These children are on the line or on top of the line. Just by looking at the graph you can see that there are more dots on and on top of the line than there are under it. Since e. 61.5% is the only answer that's bigger than 50%, you can instantly see that it has to be the right answer.

Q2: This question asks how many years behind the worst pupil is. Now you're looking at the child who's furthest away from the line from those who are under it. In a quick glance you'll see this is the kid who's 8 but reads at the level of a 4.5-year-old. 8 minus 4.5 is 3.5 so he's 3.5 years behind and the answer is e.

Q3: This question asks what's the average age of pupils who read like a 6-year-old. Now you have to find the line that represents kids who read at this level - there's one who's 5, one who's 5.75 and one who's 6. You add those up and divide the resulting 16.75 by three. Here you could use the calculator but you can also see that you'd get 5 plus whatever 1.75 divided by three is. You can see that 1.75 doesn't divide neatly but you also know it has to be something under 0.6, you can deduct that the answer has to be c. 5.583.

Q4: Here you need to see how many six-year-olds would be underperforming when they're 7 if they increased their reading age by 0.75 in the following year. Now you need to look up the 6-year-olds and see what their reading ages are. we have a kid who reads like a 5.5-year-old, one who reads like a 5.75-year-old, one who reads like a 6-year-old and one who reads like a 6.25-year-old. The kids will be underperforming if their reading age isn't 7 or over. We know that the reading ages of them all only increase by 0.75. So, we can see that only the kid who's currently reading like a 6.25-year-old will not be underperforming at 7. Therefore we're left with three underperforming children and the answer d.

Hope this makes more sense :smile:

For all the questions, I got the same answers as you but in the mark scheme the answer are different so I was very confused. The mark scheme gave answers c e b b
Original post by kitkat132000
For all the questions, I got the same answers as you but in the mark scheme the answer are different so I was very confused. The mark scheme gave answers c e b b

Really? I checked the answers too and in my book they matched the ones I got. Are you sure it's the correct mark scheme? The answers for the practise questions are a bit confusingly right after each section, not in the end of the book.

Edit: yep I checked, you were looking at the answers for the mock exam in the end of the book.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending