Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should we pay to attend a GP? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi ,

I am a student currently undertaking a project as part of my Extended Project (EPQ) and wondered if you could answer my question about paying for the GP.

Many Thanks
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 10MarrRe)
    Hi ,

I am a student currently undertaking a project as part of my Extended Project (EPQ) and wondered if you could answer my question about paying for the GP.

Many Thanks
    No I think we shouldn't instead there should continue to be more education to people as to when self care would be more appropriate

ReputationRep:
    no, we need to just keep educating people on other options and improve other services people could be accessing instead (e.g. mental health)

if you charge for GP appointments you'll be making the most vulnerable in society less likely to access healthcare that they need - which probably also makes them more likely to present at A&E further down the line
    • Very Important Poster

No because some people are very poor and it would deter them. Some people are in poor health so would not be able to go as opten. The GP is one of the early lines of defence in stopping a situation getting worse, which saves money.

For people who persistently fail to attend then some form of warning system should be used.

ReputationRep:
    If you charge for a GP appointment then you've dismantled one of the founding pillars of the NHS, still embodied in the NHS constitution, which is: "Access to NHS services is based on clinical need, not an individual’s ability to pay".

ReputationRep:
    people who miss appointments should be forced to ermm cough up

ReputationRep:
    No. It will discourage people from going to GP when they have minor symptoms that could be indicative of something more serious (chest pains, persistent coughs, etc.).

It will also hit marginalised, elderly and chronically ill individuals harder than others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    That is just your expectoration.

Charging for visiting a GP would (a) put poorer people off from getting potentially serious problems looked at early, and (b) add to the pressure on hospital A & E departments.

So it is a very bad idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    That is just your expectoration.
    And the award for Dad joke of 20 January 2017 goes to...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    And the award for Dad joke of 20 January 2017 goes to...
    I'm honoured, and have a catch in my throat. When will you cough up the prize?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, yes we should. There are special snowflakes who visit the doctor over every tiny little thing, even the most minor of colds. People should only feel the need to see a doctor when it is urgent, and the most effective way to cut down on these pointless appointments would be to charge. £25 a visit would be a good starting point in my opinion, and if needs be we could increase.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Moved to UK Politics

No. As mentioned, you're just going to have people going to minor injuries units and A&E, which isn't appropriate.

You're also penalising those of us who need to see our GPs often.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Len Goodman)
    Yes, yes we should. There are special snowflakes who visit the doctor over every tiny little thing, even the most minor of colds. People should only feel the need to see a doctor when it is urgent, and the most effective way to cut down on these pointless appointments would be to charge. £25 a visit would be a good starting point in my opinion, and if needs be we could increase.
    Is everyone a ''special snowflake'' these days?

These aren't the kind of people who will be seeing a GP.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Jesus Christ, I don't even know where to start.

I guess; is this a serious question?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doodle_333)
    no, we need to just keep educating people on other options and improve other services people could be accessing instead (e.g. mental health)

if you charge for GP appointments you'll be making the most vulnerable in society less likely to access healthcare that they need - which probably also makes them more likely to present at A&E further down the line
    This. People (including myslef) nee to be made more aware of other services, like drop in centers, clinics, etc that can help them with minor issues before they need to go to A+E, but who also have the medical proficiency to know when to refer someone if need be.

Of course those services need to be well funded and well maintained, which under a Tory government, just isnt happening.
    Those people will, in the most part, keep going. The people you will dissuade from going ae those that are already struggling to afford it (taking time off work) to go to the GP. When you discourage people to use primary care it will almost always backfire and end up causing a massive problem down the line when their problems inevitably end up so bad they HAVE to go to A+E.

Also if you charge £25 for a GP appointment and keep A+E free, guess what, you're just going to enourage even more people to turn up at A+E when they really, really don't need to be there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mojojojo101)
    Those people will, in the most part, keep going. The people you will dissuade from going ae those that are already struggling to afford it (taking time off work) to go to the GP. When you discourage people to use primary care it will almost always backfire and end up causing a massive problem down the line when their problems inevitably end up so bad they HAVE to go to A+E.

Also if you charge £25 for a GP appointment and keep A+E free, guess what, you're just going to enourage even more people to turn up at A+E when they really, really don't need to be there.
    Then simple - we charge for A+E too.

ReputationRep:
    Then simple - we charge for A+E too.
    At which point, you have pretty much completely eroded the point of the NHS.

ReputationRep:
    misuse of the GP service by the feckless and clueless doleites would continue if they were exempted,

all a direct charge for attending ( rather than a panelty fee for not attending) does is hit the JAMs and the 'squeezed middle' ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    PRSOM

a penalty fee for those who simply don;t turn up ( even if people cancel the appt a few minutes before they are due to attend it can still be used , rather than creating the problem of a late attender who doesn't communicate this if they then turn up )

ReputationRep:
    If we can charge for prescriptions, why not the visit itself instead?

If people are genuinely ill and need treatment they would have needed to pay anyway*, so the argument that it puts off 'the poor' doesn't really bear out.

*In a means tested way.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.