The Student Room Group

Mature dental student

Need some help, I'm currently in the R.A.F, due to come out in april 2005, and am very interested in the possibility of reading for a degree in dentistry. Only problem is i'm now 25, and my A levels which i did in 98 were only grade B's in physics,Chem and Biology, and all the schools seem to want an A and 2 B's minimum.
I am an engineer so have very good hand skills, have shadowed a dentist to gain some experience of what the job is about and have been doing some volunteer work such as tutoring people, and working for a charity.
I have sent my cv off to various departments am am waiting on replys. Just want some other opinions on my chances really, as i have been out of the education loop for a while now.

Cheers
Skymonkey
Need some help, I'm currently in the R.A.F, due to come out in april 2005, and am very interested in the possibility of reading for a degree in dentistry. Only problem is i'm now 25, and my A levels which i did in 98 were only grade B's in physics,Chem and Biology, and all the schools seem to want an A and 2 B's minimum.
I am an engineer so have very good hand skills, have shadowed a dentist to gain some experience of what the job is about and have been doing some volunteer work such as tutoring people, and working for a charity.
I have sent my cv off to various departments am am waiting on replys. Just want some other opinions on my chances really, as i have been out of the education loop for a while now.

Cheers

Make the most of your RAF experience in any applicaiton - working experience counts for a lot in mature applications.

Also, have you thought about retaking your A-Levels fast track? I think that's the route most matures go down if their grades don't meet the requirements. Also think about access courses - I'm not sure how viable this is for dentisrty, but it's a fairly major route for medicine.

You've donethe sensible thing already, in contacting dental schools.
Reply 2
Cheers for the feedback, anyone know where i can do a fastrack A level in one of the science subjects, or any other interesting acceptable A level.
Thought about an access course, just in the process of ringing the dental schools to see if anyone would accept it.
Reply 3
I am a mature student (26) and am going to study Physio at Nottingham.

I was in a similar position to yourself. Had worked since 18 and got very bored. I did an access course and there were several dentistry students and most uni's do accept them.

The advantage of the access course is that you are provided with help and support appropriate for retuening to education (study skills, IT skills etc.)

I would recommend the access route. A friend of mine got into liverpool with hers. The pass rate is quite high though. Usually 21 level 3 credits with an avereage pass rate of 70-80%. Considering your previous A-levels and providing you work hard, you will achieve this.

Also, deffinately make the most of your work background. I worked in customer relations and have used tonnes of this to my advantage.

Good luck!

Latest