Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi.
    So I have been trying to apply for the maximum amount of maintenance loan that is available to me on my online account. I was told to send in a signed form which I did only to be told 2 months later that I didn't sign the declaration part properly. This really upsets me as I have been waiting for 2 months only to be told to send another one in. Now that I have been told mixed messages that it will take 5 working days while another said it will take until the end of the month. Can someone please tell me a correct and reliable answer as I need this to pay for my child care cost.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, providing you have completed your declaration form correctly it usually takes around 5 working days to process from when SFE receive it. This can, however, fluctuate depending on their current workload. I'd keep checking your online account as this is usually the first place any changes/updates to your application will be noted. If this is a recurring issue, it would be best to send your declaration via recorded delivery to ensure it is received.

If you are applying for the higher maintenance allowance you could also be eligible to apply for dependents grants, specifically; Child Care Grant and Parental Learning Allowance. These awarded on household income, similar to maintenance loans, they are intended to help support students with costs that those without dependents may not necessarily incur.

You may have been prompted to apply for these when completing your application for a higher maintenance support entitlement, if not, you should be able to apply for them through your online account, or a paper based Dependents Grant Application form and a CCG1 form.

These are available from; https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-forms

I hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for the advice, I have been told by student finance that I do not qualify for child care grant because of my husband`s income, which is a bit confusing. What is the income cap because even with my husbands income and our household expenses we are struggling to make ends meet let alone pay for child care which is why I need my maintain loan.

(Original post by Money Advisor)
    Hi, providing you have completed your declaration form correctly it usually takes around 5 working days to process from when SFE receive it. This can, however, fluctuate depending on their current workload. I'd keep checking your online account as this is usually the first place any changes/updates to your application will be noted. If this is a recurring issue, it would be best to send your declaration via recorded delivery to ensure it is received.

If you are applying for the higher maintenance allowance you could also be eligible to apply for dependents grants, specifically; Child Care Grant and Parental Learning Allowance. These awarded on household income, similar to maintenance loans, they are intended to help support students with costs that those without dependents may not necessarily incur.

You may have been prompted to apply for these when completing your application for a higher maintenance support entitlement, if not, you should be able to apply for them through your online account, or a paper based Dependents Grant Application form and a CCG1 form.

These are available from; https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-forms

I hope this helps!
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi Feleu

There is not an income cap as such. We take the household income and a disregard amount for the members in the household which gives us a residual income. We then take what your possible grant allowance could be and deduct the residual income. What is left determines whether you can first get a parents learning allowance, then childcare grant then adult dependent grant (where applicable).

If you are not eligible for the childcare grant you may be able to apply for the childcare element of the tax credits, this is something you would need to check with HMRC.

Thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.