Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would you take a job in a dying industry? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I have been offered a job at a company that makes deep cast coal mining. They do other sorts of mining and mineral extraction. But the site I will be working on is where they make the coal mining equipment. With global trends and coal being this evil fuel that we should leave in the ground, the deep cast coal mining industry is shrinking and would possibly be gone in the future. So I was wondering would you take a job, knowing the site could be shut (Possible in a decades time)?

ReputationRep:
    Well no one has a crystal ball for the future.

4 years ago everyone thought the oil and gas industry had job security that was safer than a bank vault. Today you can find plenty of ex-O&G and many highly skilled related industries personnel that are rushing to drive for Uber.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.