Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Struggling to decide Southampton and Sheffield, was wondering if anyone could answer some questions about the department and the course for Computer Science/Software Engineering...

-Do you spend most of your time in the Diamond or Regents Court? I was pretty blown away by the Diamond on the open day, but the website seems to indicate that most of the work takes place in Regents Court?

-What is the Comp Sci in Regents Court like? It looks like a pretty old building from the outside, does it feel modern in the inside? Is the hardware high spec or more leaning towards slow library computers?

-If you're already a semi-competent programmer (IE took it at A-level and/or do it as a hobby), does it feel like a slow start while going back over all the fundamental stuff? Do they give you anything more challenging if you're not an absolute beginner?

-If you have an offer for a masters, and just miss the grades, will they still accept you into the bachelors? (and hopefully go on to masters if you do well)?

Just a few things I've been wondering on, leaning towards choosing Sheffield , just trying to make my decision easier :P

Thanks
    Fred T.A
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Hope fully you'll get a response from someone on here who has experience with these things as you have very specific questions. An alternative is to see if the uni can put you in touch with current or former students.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FredTA)
    Struggling to decide Southampton and Sheffield, was wondering if anyone could answer some questions about the department and the course for Computer Science/Software Engineering...

-Do you spend most of your time in the Diamond or Regents Court? I was pretty blown away by the Diamond on the open day, but the website seems to indicate that most of the work takes place in Regents Court?

-What is the Comp Sci in Regents Court like? It looks like a pretty old building from the outside, does it feel modern in the inside? Is the hardware high spec or more leaning towards slow library computers?

-If you're already a semi-competent programmer (IE took it at A-level and/or do it as a hobby), does it feel like a slow start while going back over all the fundamental stuff? Do they give you anything more challenging if you're not an absolute beginner?

-If you have an offer for a masters, and just miss the grades, will they still accept you into the bachelors? (and hopefully go on to masters if you do well)?

Just a few things I've been wondering on, leaning towards choosing Sheffield , just trying to make my decision easier :P

Thanks
    Fred T.A
    Not a CompSci myself but I'm in engineering and my tutor is compsci.

1) From what I understand CompSciers are mostly based in the Diamond, Regent's court is mostly offices with just 2 small computer rooms for work on e.g. Macs and Linux.

2) I haven't been in the Regent's court com rooms in a while but the Uni is upgrading their computers this year because the Diamond computers were a bit OP so everyone was going to the Diamond. Hence the ones in Regent's court should be fine. The building's from the 90s I think so it's not that old lol

3) I'm not sure, from what I understand the Sheffield CompSci course is fairly theoretical but I'm not sure if that applies to 1st year. There's a lot of independent learning involved anyway so my advice would be to just make your own challenges if you find it too easy.

4) Sheffield tends to be very lenient so yes, you'd definitely be allowed in if you met the Bachelor's offer and potentially also if you dropped one grade from that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helloworld_95)
    Not a CompSci myself but I'm in engineering and my tutor is compsci.

1) From what I understand CompSciers are mostly based in the Diamond, Regent's court is mostly offices with just 2 small computer rooms for work on e.g. Macs and Linux.

2) I haven't been in the Regent's court com rooms in a while but the Uni is upgrading their computers this year because the Diamond computers were a bit OP so everyone was going to the Diamond. Hence the ones in Regent's court should be fine. The building's from the 90s I think so it's not that old lol

3) I'm not sure, from what I understand the Sheffield CompSci course is fairly theoretical but I'm not sure if that applies to 1st year. There's a lot of independent learning involved anyway so my advice would be to just make your own challenges if you find it too easy.

4) Sheffield tends to be very lenient so yes, you'd definitely be allowed in if you met the Bachelor's offer and potentially also if you dropped one grade from that.
    Very helpful, thanks for the info

ReputationRep:
    First year Comp Sci student here

1) We are mostly in the Diamond. Lectures, and lab sessions all take place there. In the first semester I think I've only been in Regent's Court for half an hour at a time... a few meetings and to pick up assignments.

2) As per question 1, I've hardly been in there. The whole point of the Diamond is to bring all disciplines of engineering together so ideas can be shared and collaborated and new ways of working can be discovered. That's where you'll be.

3) As a semi-competent programmer myself, I haven't found the content particular boring despite some being familiar. The programming side of things is only covered in two modules initially. You'll do Ruby and Java. Of course you are free to skip the lab & lecture sessions and do all the work in your own time (or not) if you feel you're already confident. Then it's just a case of being ready for the quizzes and things.

4) I'm not 100% sure on this but I believe so, yes. Even if you miss the offer they might offer you a masters. Sheffield appear to be pretty forgiving around offers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -jordan-)
    First year Comp Sci student here

1) We are mostly in the Diamond. Lectures, and lab sessions all take place there. In the first semester I think I've only been in Regent's Court for half an hour at a time... a few meetings and to pick up assignments.

2) As per question 1, I've hardly been in there. The whole point of the Diamond is to bring all disciplines of engineering together so ideas can be shared and collaborated and new ways of working can be discovered. That's where you'll be.

3) As a semi-competent programmer myself, I haven't found the content particular boring despite some being familiar. The programming side of things is only covered in two modules initially. You'll do Ruby and Java. Of course you are free to skip the lab & lecture sessions and do all the work in your own time (or not) if you feel you're already confident. Then it's just a case of being ready for the quizzes and things.

4) I'm not 100% sure on this but I believe so, yes. Even if you miss the offer they might offer you a masters. Sheffield appear to be pretty forgiving around offers.
    Sounds awesome, now I've just gotta get the grades

Thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.