Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should we hold an early general election? Watch

• View Poll Results: Should Theresa May call a snap general election?
    Yes
    35.90%
    No
    51.28%
    Yes- After we've left the EU
    12.82%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paul514)
    I just don't see the point.

If your labour you're going to lose seats.

If your ukip you might gain one or two.

If your snp the only way is down even though they would probably win nearly all the seats they have.

If you are lib dem you will gain seats easily

If your conservative your going to have a bigger majority.

So basically everything is the same except corbyn would have to go.

And the conservatives would be able to afford dissenters in the ranks thanks to a larger majority.

So basically a load of hassle and money spent for sod all reason
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    As I said Theresa is unelected and does not have a mandate to exact whatever type of brexit she wants. There are many Leave voters who for instance would not wish to leave the customs union or/and think that the UK should. Become a tax haven. I happen to agree with Theresa and think she would win: and going forward would be a good way of uniting the country and making parliament more representative.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davij038)
    As I said Theresa is unelected and does not have a mandate to exact whatever type of brexit she wants. There are many Leave voters who for instance would not wish to leave the customs union or/and think that the UK should. Become a tax haven. I happen to agree with Theresa and think she would win: and going forward would be a good way of uniting the country and making parliament more representative.
    Prime ministers are never elected the winning party has always decided who is pm.

Same with brown and the same with major before him

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Prime ministers are never elected the winning party has always decided who is pm.

Same with brown and the same with major before him

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes but as I said above they were a continuance government wheras this one by virtue of Brexit will be something very different. The last governments position rightly or wrongly was to stay in the EU. This one wants to leave all three unions and enact radical new policies. Brexit is a game changer. We should vote on who's playing.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fleky6910)
    Yes , lets secure a 400+ majority for the conservatives !
    A 400 majority is not possible when there are 651 seats. The biggest majority you can have (ie more than half) is 325.

Unless you plan on extending the Commons how do you suppose they achieve a 400+ majority?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    A 400 majority is not possible when there are 651 seats. The biggest majority you can have (ie more than half) is 325.

Unless you plan on extending the Commons how do you suppose they achieve a 400+ majority?
    You know what they mean

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    You know what they mean

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well maybe they should learn to form coherent sentences.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Len Goodman)
    I personally see no need for one, but it would be fantastic to be rid of Labour three years earlier than expected.
    With Labour being such a shambles, it's easy to forget that the Tory majority is slim. If there is to be no opposition there must at least be stable government. I'd rather see May with a majority of 100 and the Labour Party ground to dust than I would things continue as they are until the Parliament expires.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jape)
    With Labour being such a shambles, it's easy to forget that the Tory majority is slim. If there is to be no opposition there must at least be stable government. I'd rather see May with a majority of 100 and the Labour Party ground to dust than I would things continue as they are until the Parliament expires.
    This.

We're In a worse state than the farce that was IDS's premiership. We're dependent on Tory back benchers to properly scrutinise the government rather than the official opposition- although kudos to Keir Starmer and Angus Robertson who have been continuously impressive it's no way near enough.

ReputationRep:
    Well maybe they should learn to form coherent sentences.
    lol. You're quite funny, all you do is tell me that my grammar is poor. Surprisingly English language and literature are my worst subjects.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, yes a thousand times yes!

Time to rid ourselves of the traitorous leftist scum that lurk in the halls of westminster like parasites.

Comrade Corbyn gone, the Labour Party reduced to an insignificance, the SNP brought down a peg by the scottish tories, it would be a dream come true.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Connor27)

Time to rid ourselves of the traitorous leftist scum that lurk in the halls of westminster like parasites.

Comrade Corbyn gone, the Labour Party reduced to an insignificance, the SNP brought down a peg by the scottish tories, it would be a dream come true.
    It will be a great day !
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:

Traitorous? Scum? Oh do me a favour you sad little child.

Is that what debates have come down to in our democracy? 'If you have a different opinion to me you're a traitor'?

Ffs, what happened to having substantive debates, discussing ideas and opinions without calling your opponents stupid/racist/traitors?

You are every bit as bad as the SJW who accuse anyone who diagrees as being bigoted in some way.

Calling someone a traitor is incredibly dangerous. By all means disagree but stop assuming there. Yay be something fundamentally wrong with anyone who disagrees with you.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    This.

We're In a worse state than the farce that was IDS's premiership. We're dependent on Tory back benchers to properly scrutinise the government rather than the official opposition- although kudos to Keir Starmer and Angus Robertson who have been continuously impressive it's no way near enough.
    Not sure why you, of all people, want another 80 full fat hard right Tory backbenchers.

ReputationRep:
    Traitorous? Scum? Oh do me a favour you sad little child.

Is that what debates have come down to in our democracy? 'If you have a different opinion to me you're a traitor'?

Ffs, what happened to having substantive debates, discussing ideas and opinions without calling your opponents stupid/racist/traitors?

You are every bit as bad as the SJW who accuse anyone who diagrees as being bigoted in some way.

Calling someone a traitor is incredibly dangerous. By all means disagree but stop assuming there. Yay be something fundamentally wrong with anyone who disagrees with you.
    The left are traitors; especially the SNP and the momentum cult of personality around the comrade.

The SNP would break up a union hundreds of years old that is intact because of our shared monarchy, to secede from the monarch's jurisdiction is treasonous.

As for the corbynite trogs, they would withdraw us from NATO, get rid of the monarchy, decommission our nuclear defence system, lose Northern Ireland (despite it having a unionist majority) and bow down to Islamic fundamentalists who would install sharia law in the U.K., traitors.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    The left are traitors; especially the SNP and the momentum cult of personality around the comrade.

The SNP would break up a union hundreds of years old that is intact because of our shared monarchy, to secede from the monarch's jurisdiction is treasonous.

As for the corbynite trogs, they would withdraw us from NATO, get rid of the monarchy, decommission our nuclear defence system, lose Northern Ireland (despite it having a unionist majority) and bow down to Islamic fundamentalists who would install sharia law in the U.K., traitors.
    So anyone who's left wing is a traitor? So the fact I detest the SJW but broadly believe in a social democratic system and Keynesian economics makes me a traitor?

Degrading political debate to simply labelling your opponents 'traitors' is a seriously dangerous game. That sort of language leads to MPs being murdered and Israeli PMs being assassinated.

It's funny you dislike Corbynites and SJW given that you're so similar. You both want a safe space and you both assume that someone who disagrees with you has evil intentions. You both degrade political debate.

You really are a sad little boy.

ReputationRep:
    Fixed term parliament act basically makes this poll moot.

Either:

1 - The Tories wouldhave to put forward a no confidence motion and then wait 14 days without forming a government to trigger an early election which would look ridiculous.

OR

2 - 2/3rds of MPs (so realistically Tories + Labour) have to vote to hold an election. But do Labour really want an election right now with their current support in the polls?? I doubt it, many Labour MPs would risk losing their seats (so they wouldn't vote for the motion) and the Tories would probably increase their majority.

OR

3 - They put a one line bill in to ignore the fixed term parliament act which would look even more ridiculous than point 1.

ReputationRep:
    Not sure why you, of all people, want another 80 full fat hard right Tory backbenchers.
    No- most Tory MPs including the majority if the cabinet and the PM voted remain but accept that we have to leave the EU and that we may as well make the best of it. I've been pretty right wing now for a while it was only my support for the EU (and my hatred for the idiocy of the average brexiter) that may have made me appear left/ centrist. I have far more in common with the Tories now.

Sure there's plenty in the Tory party who I think are nuts but for the most part I'm on the same page. Even though I'll probably vote lib dem* I'd choose May over Farron and have nothing in common with Corbyn.

* because I dislike my Tory mp and because I support PR and abolishing victimless crimes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ManiaMuse)
    Fixed term parliament act basically makes this poll moot.

Either:

1 - The Tories wouldhave to put forward a no confidence motion and then wait 14 days without forming a government to trigger an early election which would look ridiculous.

OR

2 - 2/3rds of MPs (so realistically Tories + Labour) have to vote to hold an election. But do Labour really want an election right now with their current support in the polls?? I doubt it, many Labour MPs would risk losing their seats (so they wouldn't vote for the motion) and the Tories would probably increase their majority.

OR

3 - They put a one line bill in to ignore the fixed term parliament act which would look even more ridiculous than point 1.
    As I said above there is a clause in the FTPA that says an election may be held due to exceptional circumstance.

As I argued in the first page these are exceptional circumstances.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    No- most Tory MPs including the majority if the cabinet and the PM voted remain but accept that we have to leave the EU and that we may as well make the best of it. I've been pretty right wing now for a while it was only my support for the EU (and my hatred for the idiocy of the average brexiter) that may have made me appear left/ centrist. I have far more in common with the Tories now.

Sure there's plenty in the Tory party who I think are nuts but for the most part I'm on the same page. Even though I'll probably vote lib dem* I'd choose May over Farron and have nothing in common with Corbyn.

* because I dislike my Tory mp and because I support PR and abolishing victimless crimes
    Your views seem to change by the week!

May is quite authoritarian and socially conservative which I thought would have been a turn off for you.

ReputationRep:
    Your views seem to change by the week!
    What can I say I'm pragmatic!

I have some core principles that I am fundamental about (for instance I will always maintain that the Leave campaign was an utterly contemptible con job) and religion is a load of superstitious garbage but most things I'm flexible with pending on the evidence and what works. Apparently its my personality type...

May is quite authoritarian and socially conservative which I thought would have been a turn off for you.
    she's not great by any stretch of the imagination. I still remember fondly Ken Clarke rinsing her in the Commons. But, she had the sense to vote remain and I agree with her Brexit positions. I'm to the right of her economically and being anti religious obviously disagree with her on social issues but she's better than what else is on offer.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.