Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should we hold an early general election? Watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Should Theresa May call a snap general election?
    Yes
    35.90%
    No
    51.28%
    Yes- After we've left the EU
    12.82%

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davij038)
    What can I say I'm pragmatic!

I have some core principles that I am fundamental about (for instance I will always maintain that the Leave campaign was an utterly contemptible con job) and religion is a load of superstitious garbage but most things I'm flexible with pending on the evidence and what works. Apparently its my personality type...

she's not great by any stretch of the imagination. I still remember fondly Ken Clarke rinsing her in the Commons. But, she had the sense to vote remain and I agree with her Brexit positions. I'm to the right of her economically and being anti religious obviously disagree with her on social issues but she's better than what else is on offer.
    I used to have a degree of respect about her but I just see her as dancing to UKIPs tune.

I don't think she's any less right wing than Cameron economically. She hasn't reversed any cuts and she basically wants to turn post eu Britain into a tax haven.

She talks big but has so far delivered nothing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    I used to have a degree of respect about her but I just see her as dancing to UKIPs tune.

I don't think she's any less right wing than Cameron economically. She hasn't reversed any cuts and she basically wants to turn post eu Britain into a tax haven.

She talks big but has so far delivered nothing.
    Not quite.

She'll only turn the UK into a tax haven if there is a bad deal with the EU. Also she's said that the EU are our friends and ally and not the EUSSR that ukip nut jobs say it is. And to her credit I think she is sincere- and seems to know that the blue collar leave vote were voting for rather than the guff spouted out by say Hannan (who. I actually generally agree with) but who seems to have convinced himself it wasn't about immigration but about

ReputationRep:
    As I said above there is a clause in the FTPA that says an election may be held due to exceptional circumstance.

As I argued in the first page these are exceptional circumsta nces.
    Is it really that exceptional though when they passed a referendum bill through the usual channels with two possible outcomes? You wouldn't be saying a remain win would be an exceptional circumstance or would you?

I would take exceptional to mean things like some absolutely massive corruption scandal within the government or the outbreak of ww3.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ManiaMuse)
    Is it really that exceptional though when they passed a referendum bill through the usual channels with two possible outcomes? You wouldn't be saying a remain win would be an exceptional circumstance or would you?

I would take exceptional to mean things like some absolutely massive corruption scandal within the government or the outbreak of ww3.
    A remain vote wouldn't be the same because there would be no change from the mandate already given to them. We now have a new government with a very different set of priorities and ideas to the last.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Not quite.

She'll only turn the UK into a tax haven if there is a bad deal with the EU. Also she's said that the EU are our friends and ally and not the EUSSR that ukip nut jobs say it is. And to her credit I think she is sincere- and seems to know that the blue collar leave vote were voting for rather than the guff spouted out by say Hannan (who. I actually generally agree with) but who seems to have convinced himself it wasn't about immigration but about
    To an extent. She has totally ignored the 48% though and has done nothing to quell the bullying and intimidating nature of her own MPs and front benchers, never mind the leave camp.

After the first Court decision she refused to properly defend the courts and she refused to slap down Sajid Javid who said quite nasty things about Gina Miller for simply exercising her right to take the government to court.

She made big noises about 'a fair Britain' and 'responsible capitalism' and 'workers on boards' and the 'just about managing', yet her economic policies are simply a continuation of Cameron's.

ReputationRep:
    To an extent. She has totally ignored the 48% though and has done nothing to quell the bullying and intimidating nature of her own MPs and front benchers, never mind the leave camp.

After the first Court decision she refused to properly defend the courts and she refused to slap down Sajid Javid who said quite nasty things about Gina Miller for simply exercising her right to take the government to court.

She made big noises about 'a fair Britain' and 'responsible capitalism' and 'workers on boards' and the 'just about managing', yet her economic policies are simply a continuation of Cameron's.
    Kinda agree to an extent- although as for ignoring the 48%...meh. The uk voted (albeit by a narrow majority to leave the eu and cut immigration, we have to leave the single market for that too even if it costs us. If it does prove a disaster then we know who to blame and can hopefully rejoin the eu.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Kinda agree to an extent- although as for ignoring the 48%...meh. The uk voted (albeit by a narrow majority to leave the eu and cut immigration, we have to leave the single market for that too even if it costs us. If it does prove a disaster then we know who to blame and can hopefully rejoin the eu.
    I'm quite prepared to campaign to rejoin if its a disaster. Brexit must be given a fair chance though and that means a couple of years, say 2025.

ReputationRep:

Nothing wrong with Cameron. I love whining liberals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    I'm quite prepared to campaign to rejoin if its a disaster. Brexit must be given a fair chance though and that means a couple of years, say 2025.
    Rejoining will take 10 years , you must be having laugh.
    Leaving can't be that bad unless it causes another great depression.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fleky6910)
    Nothing wrong with Cameron. I love whining liberals.
    Immature, little child.

ReputationRep:
    Rejoining will take 10 years , you must be having laugh.
    Leaving can't be that bad unless it causes another great depression.
    Joining would not take 10 years.

It would however mean taking on the euro, being part of shengen, and losing our rebate.

There is no going back

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Great idea

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paul514)
    Joining would not take 10 years.

It would however mean taking on the euro, being part of shengen, and losing our rebate.

There is no going back

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Joining the euro would be catastrophic!

ReputationRep:
    Immature, little child.
    tfw when you can't bring up a counter argument so you resort to ageism.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Connor27)
    tfw when you can't bring up a counter argument so you resort to ageism.
    Rofl, he posted a stupid meme and you're expecting a substantive argument?

I'm ageist? Ah I'm so sorry, do you want a safe space?

ReputationRep:

In what way has she 'ignored' the 48%?

The majority of the 48% only voted Remain because they believed there would be an economic catastrophe if we left and wanted to avert such risk. She has made it clear that she seeks a comprehensive FTA with the EU, which is of course mutually advantageous, and would mitigate the short/medium term transition costs of ceasing membership of the single market. This has quelled many worries.

The minority of Remainers who fervently want further political integration might as well move to an EU country. That has never, ever, been on the cards in Britain.

Yes we'll vote in *****y communist Corybn

ReputationRep:
      Rofl, he posted a stupid meme and you're expecting a substantive argument?

I'm ageist? Ah I'm so sorry, do you want a safe space?
      You use ageism even when I don't use memes
      • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
      You use ageism even when I don't use memes
      Oh okay.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.