Turn on thread page Beta

Creepy - Cremated Remains watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    BBC news story about what to do with cremated remains - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/3544076.stm

MB

ReputationRep:
    Yes I don't want my family members decorating my fingers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicboy)
    BBC news story about what to do with cremated remains - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/3544076.stm

MB
    something to remember your daddy by...although i wouldnt want to remember him as a rock! god forbid anything happens to him...ill have memories!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    Yes I don't want my family members decorating my fingers.
    *Shudders* I agree.

ReputationRep:

MB
    sounds sweet and all...but quite odd and scary i have to say...
    they don't look stunningly beautiful anyway...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by p8224)
    sounds sweet and all...but quite odd and scary i have to say...
    they don't look stunningly beautiful anyway...
    lol...i wonder if they asked him whether or not they could do that to his ashes.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's really cool. Its far better than just having ashes sitting in an urn on the mantlepiece. I still think its better to have the ashes thrown into the wind or something, but its the next best thing. Burials are just wrong. Eww!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThornsnRoses)
    lol...i wonder if they asked him whether or not they could do that to his ashes.
    hahaha!!
    i wouldn't want that being done to mine...but then again...i wouldn't care if i'm dead.

ReputationRep:
    TBH being ethnically jewish I wouldn't be cremated after events in 20th century.

MB

ReputationRep:

MB
    More stupid than creepy if you ask me

ReputationRep:

MB
    I quite like the idea myself I think it would be a nice way to be remebered and you don't need all the ashes.

ReputationRep:
    What I hate about this is the way the gems are kept by people and worn - that's just plain creepy. The idea though of turning ugly ashes into nice-looking gems is actually quite nice. If the gems were buried, it would be a comfort to know that the person who died will exist forever - and they will always look nice. They won't be eaten by worms and they won't vanish into the ground.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil)
    What I hate about this is the way the gems are kept by people and worn - that's just plain creepy. The idea though of turning ugly ashes into nice-looking gems is actually quite nice. If the gems were buried, it would be a comfort to know that the person who died will exist forever - and they will always look nice. They won't be eaten by worms and they won't vanish into the ground.

but someone else might dig them up and wear them.

MB

ReputationRep:
    Now that they have been made into a valuable form, they lend themselves to an even more uncomfortable fate - of being stolen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randdom)
    I quite like the idea myself I think it would be a nice way to be remebered and you don't need all the ashes.
    I agree. I think it's a nice idea... Then you know your family are always with you wherever you go.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see what's so bad about this! It would be rather an interesting reminder of a lost family member. It wouldn't haunt me really, because the only things the diamond and the person would have in common is that they consist of the same carbon atoms. Not like having a creepy urn of ashes that speak death and lifelessness, the diamond would seem more permanent and everlasting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefish_uk)
    I don't see what's so bad about this! It would be rather an interesting reminder of a lost family member. It wouldn't haunt me really, because the only things the diamond and the person would have in common is that they consist of the same carbon atoms. Not like having a creepy urn of ashes that speak death and lifelessness, the diamond would seem more permanent and everlasting.
    Agreed I mean we are all made up of the carbon atoms of other dead matter anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randdom)
    Agreed I mean we are all made up of the carbon atoms of other dead matter anyway
    Yeah, if you gave them back to the earth they'd only turn up in a tree in your back garden anyway, lol. Let them be recycled. Making them into something new and lasting (the diamond) is better than keeping them in a cupboard or on the mantelpiece, if you ask me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefish_uk)
    Absolutely.

It would represent your loved one in a beautiful eternal kind of way, with that sense of mystery and awe that wouldn't be present in a jar of ashes. I would feel quite touched if my ashes were made into jewellery or even if I was carrying jewellery of someone close to me who has died. It is very special.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    Absolutely.

It would represent your loved one in a beautiful eternal kind of way, with that sense of mystery and awe that wouldn't be present in a jar of ashes. I would feel quite touched if my ashes were made into jewellery or even if I was carrying jewellery of someone close to me who has died. It is very special.
    but imagine if you lost it down the sink

MB

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.