Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    I am currently intercalating from my degree at university due to personal reasons. I am not really looking forward to going back in September for my final year because the teaching quality is very poor and I never attend seminars because they are a waste of time. I do, however, complete all my work and always get high marks; I almost attained a First in second year.

    Due to the fact I hardly ever go to seminars and need to save money this year, it makes sense to study at the Open University as I essentially have completed my degree from my student house the past two years! The only thing is I'm not sure I can transfer. I have some questions I was hoping you could help answer:

    1. Can I transfer all my existing credits (240) to the Open University and literally just do my last year there?

    2. Can I transfer to straight History or Politics although my current degree is in American History?

    3. Do I get a basic maintenance loan still?

    Thanks for reading.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Have you contacted the open uni to ask about the first two? The third question is for SFE to answer but you need to find out about the first two bits first.
    • Community Assistant

    Community Assistant
    1 - should be OK.
    2 - not sure, it depends on what modules you've done and how well they map across to OU programmes. You should be fine to transfer the whole lot to an Open degree, though, even if they won't let you put all of it towards a named programme.
    3 - don't think so.

    no maintenance loan is available for pt study yet. The idea of them is to substitute earnings you cant make whilst being in uni. Its possible to work ft and do ou

    You should be able to with no problems, follow the steps on this link to see if you're eligible:

    I've recently graduated from OU and know several people who graduated with BA/ BSc Open degree by transferring previous credit. This is the main degree programme that OU offers and it gives students maximum flexibility of choice between disciplines. You may still be eligible for a named degree, eg. BA History, but I've found that employers don't question Open degree, just write it out as BA Open degree (History and Politics).

    If you end up going for it, I can recommend DD306 Living Political Ideas which is a challenging but excellent history of ideas/ applied political theory module.
    Also, try to join the Facebook study groups for modules - brilliant for talking freely about your studies and cramming/ panicking together (there are online forums but sometimes they are heavily policed and edited by the powers that be... grrr!!!)

    Good luck and all the best!

    Hi mate I am in a similar position, completed my second year with 240 credits behind me now seeking to complete my final year at OU. It's very much possible you have to have your module descriptor and results transcript produced so they can match up their degree modules against what you have already completed.

    Unfortunately there is no maintenance loan or grant to support you so full time work is essential, unless you move home and soak up your 'rents money. I guess in theory it will take a little longer than a year to complete unless you sacrifice your social!

    All the best
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.