The Student Room Group

BREAKING : senegal invades gambia

The Gambia's former president has been given an ultimatum to leave the country or be forcibly ousted by Senegalese troops.
Former leader Yahya Jammeh has refused to step down from office and says he does not accept the result of an election won by Adama Barrow, a former London security guard.

The standoff prompted Senegalese troops to invade Gambia in a bid to get Mr Jammeh to cede to Mr Barrow, but the operation was halted to allow time for mediation.
http://news.sky.com/story/senegal-troops-invade-the-gambia-as-adama-barrow-sworn-in-as-president-10734802

WWIII incoming!!! which side will trump and putin take?

Scroll to see replies

Lmao it's not that deep.
It's just ECOWAS putting their foot down and chasing out these old men that think they can rule forever and run our continent into the ground.
Jammeh can't fight all of ECOWASs troops. He'll run away soon.

Next to be forcefully booted: Mr Paul Biya and Robert Mugabe in 2018
@alexschmalex
(edited 7 years ago)
Lol at fearmongering.

Gambia's army consists of only 2,500 soldiers and the army commander has said that 'he loves his soldiers and won't risk their lives in a "stupid fight."

Unless Mr. Ex-Prez has a secret army hidden somewhere or can convince civilians to start an uprising (reports suggest peaceful so far and people staying inside their homes) then he will be found soon enough and taken dead or alive depending how much of a fight him and his security team put up.
Reply 3
Original post by HucktheForde

Over a piddly little African squabble? I don't think so.
Visited the Gambia about a year ago, heard Jammeh was a bit of a nutjob.
Original post by HucktheForde
-

Ithinl you will find the international community couldn't give 2 shits about sub-Saharan Africa
Went to Gambia a year ago, their tourism numbers were down as it is and it was really hurting them, now tourists are being evacuated by travel companies, the population aren't going to side with the guy ruining their already near worthless economy. His army (if you can call it that) aren't backing him either. He needs to leave but he's literally insane, the guy has witch doctors for advisors, believes in loads of black magic BS, yet despite the fact I thought they didn't go hand in hand, he also proclaims to be a strong Muslim ruler and has said before Allah has told him to reign for one million years or some such ****. He'll surrender soon enough once the troops roll in or try and go out in some mad blaze of glory.
Original post by joey11223
Went to Gambia a year ago.

Where did you stay?
Original post by DarkEnergy
Where did you stay?

Rented a house in a community opposite side of the highway where all the SeneGambia hotels are. Bugger remembering how many lefts and rights it was to get back home when there's no lighting at night just had a little torch haha.
Original post by joey11223
Rented a house in a community opposite side of the highway where all the SeneGambia hotels are. Bugger remembering how many lefts and rights it was to get back home when there's no lighting at night just had a little torch haha.

Ah nice haha. I stayed in 'Halahin Lodge' because I went with college but would have rather had a more 'real' experience.
And people say that the Africans are our cultural equals..
Original post by Wōden
Over a piddly little African squabble? I don't think so.

IF this is all it takes to spark WWIII then there wouldn't have been a peace between II and III
Original post by Mathemagicien
:rofl:

Because Europeans don't have a history of invading each other?

We got rich first and afterward. At any rate, that was 70 years ago.
Quite right, the people voted for Barrow and Senegal are supporting them. This will not lead to a bigger conflict, it is just a minor issue in world affairs and should be resolved quickly.
Reply 14
:rofl:

Because Europeans don't have a history of invading each other?

European wars are civilised and gentlemanly affairs.
Reply 15
The Red Army pretty much raped everything with a vagina on its way to Berlin; Polish women and girls, German women and girls, even holocaust survivors. That is hardly civilised or gentlemanly.

Yeah, but they were Bolshevik scum, so they don't count.
The Red Army pretty much raped everything with a vagina on its way to Berlin; Polish women and girls, German women and girls, even holocaust survivors. That is hardly civilised or gentlemanly.

tbh allied soldiers did the same, just that we were victors so it didnt count as war crimes.
Original post by Rakas21
And people say that the Africans are our cultural equals..

I'd say the intention of this invasion was good.
If anything I'd say the AU should invade all the countries where greedy dictators refuse to give up power so more capable democratic leaders are elected that actually have Africa's best interest at heart.
Original post by StrawbAri
I'd say the intention of this invasion was good.
If anything I'd say the AU should invade all the countries where greedy dictators refuse to give up power so more capable democratic leaders are elected that actually have Africa's best interest at heart.

It was more a reflection of the leader being unwilling to give up power than the invasion (assuming they leave peacefully).

Yeah, i'm generally a supporter of liberal imperialism. I'd be quite happy for the west to occupy a country for 40 years so that a whole generation is raised with our values (obviously in the meantime there'd be a lot of unhappy people and obviously its not going to happen).

Do we know if the new leader is a Muslim?
Original post by Rakas21
It was more a reflection of the leader being unwilling to give up power than the invasion (assuming they leave peacefully).

Yeah, i'm generally a supporter of liberal imperialism. I'd be quite happy for the west to occupy a country for 40 years so that a whole generation is raised with our values (obviously in the meantime there'd be a lot of unhappy people and obviously its not going to happen).

Do we know if the new leader is a Muslim?

Yes he is a Muslim. Though he seems to be less power mad than his predecessor and has a few campaign promises that sound good enough. We'll have to wait and see.

Honestly, Islam (no offence to Muslims before I'm called racist or something) is like a parasitic leg dragging the continent behind. It has stalled what would have been progressive developments (Gender equality, LGBT rights) and Islamic terrorism has robbed countries of time and money used fighting the terrorists that could have been better used elsewhere. It's sad really.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending