Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi !
    In two months, two weeks and four days, I'll be sixteen. I live in Scotland, in the loveliest place with the loveliest friends, but there is a possibility that I'll have to leave here and move to Wales. I've moved quite a lot in my life already, and the idea of being uprooted again really doesn't appeal to me. I've got a full plan for my future education set out, and I've spent weeks looking for a way to adapt it so it will fit in Wales too, but to no avail. If I want my future to pan out the way I want it to, I have to stay here.
    I have a friend who doesn't want to live at his home because he has issues with his family (something I'm sure he wouldn't be comfortable with me going into detail about on a public forum). He doesn't want to live in his home anymore. His family are also planning to move away to France, and he has his own reasons (some similar to mine) as to why he doesn't want to go.
    Having discovered that you can move out when you're 16 legally (something that neither of us knew until a few weeks ago), and evaluated all of our options, we've decided that this would be ideal for both of us. My parents aren't particularly keen on the idea but are willing to support me so long as I have a financial and educational plan for the next few years. His family aren't hugely bothered by him leaving, so there is no issue there.
    However, we are struggling with the logistics of everything. How are we going to fit jobs around our study? Of course, being under 18 we won't have to pay council tax, but I'm not sure how we are going to afford to heat the flat, pay for water and cover our electricity bill on top of rent, food, an internet deal that is probably going to end up being VERY expensive due to the amount we use, travel expenses for getting to and from work and school, while leaving money for things like toileteries and a whole number of other things I've not even thought of.
    I've read numerous articles on the internet on moving out for the first time, and found some really useful resources at the back of my school library, including books and leaflets on job seeking, making the most of your money, and living alone. My friend/future flatmate has set up a meeting on 6th February (2017) with our school careers advisor who has agreed to discuss housing, job options and our rights with us. I plan to ring the Shelter helpline or send them an email with any questions I have, but I thought I could ask on here, just to get the advice of people who had gone through moving out before, and how they coped with various things.
    I'd really like to make this happen, and I'm willing to work multiple jobs on top of school if I really have to. I know my friend feels the same way I do about this, and he is eager to begin working as soon as we've worked out a rough idea of how much money we're going to need to make it all work.
    So, after that long-winded introduction, here is a list of slightly more obvious questions, that you might be able to answer even if you have no story of anything similar to tell.

1. How much can we be expecting to spend on food a month? I'm a vegetarian, but I can cook for myself so my diet is relatively cheap and healthy. My friend is a keen meat eater, but is willing to cut down if it will be cheaper.

2. Roughly how much could we expect to be paying in a double glazed, relatively small two bedroom flat?

3. Are there any taxes (besides council tax) that we are exempt from as under 18s?

4. Would one of us be able to hold the lease of the flat, or would we need to delegate that to a family member who is over 18?

5. Would we able to view flats alone, or would we have to take someone over 18 with us?

6. Would we still get EMA (Educational Maintenance Allowance) if we're living alone and on a low income?

7. Do you need a TV license if you only use your TV for Netflix?

8. What are the rules on noise in flats? Might seem like a vague question, but we're both keen musicians (I play the piano, guitar, ukulele, and I sing, and my friend plays the piano and drums), and we both enjoy listening to music while studying, which usually takes place late at night.

9. Will we have to keep track of all our payments and income? I don't mind doing this, but I was told by one person that this was compulsory for everyone, and by another that it was only for people who are self-employed.

Thank you for reading all of that! If you've got any experiences with what we're going through I would honestly love to read about them, just so I can reassure myself that some of the things I'm worried about are either really normal or really unimportant! And if you've got any answers to any of the questions I asked above they would be appreciated!

x

ReputationRep:
    From your OP it seems like you've planned for this. Moving away from your parents is obviously a huge part of one's life, and one that you seem ready for. I can answer the last bit - keeping track of your payments is absolutely essential if you don't want to land yourself in debt (or fall victim to clever con artists).

ReputationRep:
    I don't believe you can legally own property or sign any form of legal contract until you're 18, so you would have to give money to your parents who would then pay it on; however this would make them the legal tenants. TV license is only needed for cable/satellite TV channels; BBC, ITV, etc. You are exempt from all tax provided you earn under a certain amount per year; I think this is £6k or so.

You will both need to be working at least 16-24 hours a week, probably more, as food is expensive on top of rental costs, which are gonna be around £450-700 a month

ReputationRep:
    You cannot sign any legal contract until you are 18. You can't rent anywhere, have a TV liscence, pay utility bills, phone bills, etc. You cannot do this.

You will not be able to fit jobs around studying; how are you going to do 08:30 to 15:00 multiple days a week or whatever and then have a job too? The jobs you'd be able to get will be menial with very similar hours to education commitments. You have to be at least 18 to work night shifts.

ReputationRep:
    Why can't you continue your plan for your future in Wales?

1. It depends where you shop. Probably at a minimum £10-15 per week, I spend between £20-25 for myself.
    2. Totally depends on your location, have a look around the area you want to live in.
    3. Income tax depends on how much you are earning, not your age. http://taxfix.co.uk/articles/do-under-18s-pay-tax-2/
    4. You can rent a flat, but some landlords may be reluctant/refuse to rent to you because of your age, in the same way that some landlords won't rent houses/flats to students. http://www.tenantstips.com/FAQs/Rent...8#.WIIez7aLSRs
    5. If you can rent a flat alone, you should be able to view them alone. If your parents are willing to help, I'd get them to go with you as they may spot things that you wouldn't think about, and are likely to be more well-versed at reading and interpreting contracts to ensure it's fair.
    6. Not sure, may be worth contacting them.
    7. No
    8. Depends on your landlord and neighbours.
    9. Not really sure what you mean here. You'll have a bank account, so you can show all that from statements.

If you can help it, don't move out. To do well in your education you'd be far better off not working as much as you'll have to if you move out, and you'll have the added stress of bills and rent payments. It won't be cheap!
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunshine.girl.x)
    I'll be sixteen. I live in Scotland,
    (Original post by JooW)
    I don't believe you can legally own property or sign any form of legal contract until you're 18
    (Original post by Glassapple)
    You cannot sign any legal contract until your are 18.
    You can if you stay in Scotland
    http://www.gov.scot/Publications/2009/04/02155040/2

ReputationRep:
    I moved out of my parents when I had just turned 16, the biggest problem I had was finding a Landlord which would accept a young person.
    Initially I moved into a mobile home which was great and a lot cheaper. I worked in a Pizza shop evenings and weekends and went to college in the day.
    It was difficult for a few years but I'm now about to graduate and buy my first house.

I am really happy I moved out when I did and I learnt a lot, but its difficult to earn enough to live while at college, and you miss out a lot going out and stuff.

Good Luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    That says you can move out, that's it. You can leave your home with no intervention from social services. You still cannot sign contracts or have bills in your name.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glassapple)
    That says you can move out, that's it. You can leave your home with no intervention from social services. You still cannot sign contracts or have bills in your name.
    Nope.

"Contract:
    At 16, you can enter into a legally-binding contract. If you are under 16, you can also do this if the contract is usual for someone of your age and its terms are not unreasonable"

This is also why Gretna Green is a thing. (A marriage is a form of contract)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ax12)
    Why can't you continue your plan for your future in Wales?
    My dream is to study an English and Drama degree, but given my financial situation, there is no way I could afford the tuition fees for that, which I would have to pay if I was to live in Wales. In Scotland however, tuition fees are much cheaper, to the tune of around £7000 a year I believe! x
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    My dream is to study an English and Drama degree, but given my financial situation, there is no way I could afford the tuition fees for that, which I would have to pay if I was to live in Wales. In Scotland however, tuition fees are much cheaper, to the tune of around £7000 a year I believe! x
    You would get a student loan like everybody else. But yes it's much cheaper in Scotland.

Wales: http://www.studentfinancewales.co.uk
    Scotland: http://www.saas.gov.uk

ReputationRep:
    You'll get a student loan which you don't have to pay until you earn a set amount, so the tuition fees don't make a huge difference in the short term. If you get EMA you should be eligible for the maximum maintenance loan and grant as well, so it is unlikely that you'll have too much of a problem money-wise at university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    OP states this is not the ideal case however and thus doesn't really apply

ReputationRep:
    Hi. I live in scotland and moved out of home at aged 16 due to family problems. I also got my own house at aged 16. I signed my tenancy agreement & i am the legal tenant of the house. Im a student at college, and up until i finished NQ level when i was 17, my rent was paid for me by housing benifit. I still recieved EMA, although due to that it meant i didnt get much money fron the college. I got my EMA, my travel money, then an extra 200 or so a month to help with the house. When i stared HNC level at aged 18 at college i was no longer entitled to housing benifit as i was doing a higher level course. I now no longer recieve EMA but this is again due to my course change, and now recieve higher payments of about £600. This is a student loan which you dont need to pay back for a certain time which has been mentioned. This company also pay all tuition fees to the college (this would only happen in scotland, not wales.)I also recieve descresionary payement from the college of about £200. I gey paid monthy and what i like to do when i get paid is pay my rent for the month. I then put £50 in gas and elwctricity which lasts a month ( i am in a one bedroom) i then make sure i have travel fuds for college, and then buy a big shop including toiletried ect of everything i will need for the month. Usually leaves me with under £100 left for myself and i have to deal with having no money until i am paid again, however i do have everything i need to last me the month. If you know how to budget and spend your money well you will be able to live a life in your own home. Ovbiously the more income available the easier this will be.
    EDITS
    * After you turn 18, if you are a full time student you will still be exempt from council tax.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.