Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm really worried about what to wear and the questions that will be asked any advice or idea what will happen at the interview for sports and exercise science

ReputationRep:
    Is this at leeds?! Im going tomorrow!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sammy2012)
    Is this at leeds?! Im going tomorrow!!!
    Mines on not till March how was it ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ccasselton)
    Mines on not till March how was it ?
    honestly, don't even fret.

Wear smart casual, I wore a pair of smart trousers and a nice jumper with some boots.

It was quite pathetic really. I spoke to someone on the student room prior as we have an interview and a written task. they told me they email you a week prior with questions they will ask and they told me about their written task- it was exactly the same task they had given to them as they had given to me too.

Ill tell you more about how the day went.

You meet in a hall and you will be given name tags and a group number. I was in group 3.

Groups 3 and 4 went for a tour around the university first with two reps from the course. It was way less than the open day and we did not go into any buildings, we only looked around the gym and one prospectus room (of the most expensive accomadations- they did not even mention the less expensive ones)

Waste of time.

Although it was helpful to talk to some of the students there; one was on placement and the other was in third year and he told us some good information about what he did on his course.

We then went in a cafe/ informal room where everyone gathered and chilled for a while before the interview. This took forever. They call you up in groups of 4 people. I was one of the last to be called, and a rep walks you to another building.

This was the pathetic part. We went into a room, with four of the lecturers/ admissions people for sports science. Each had their own desk in the SAME ROOM. we had one lecturer each to be asked questions by. The only thing separating them was a moveable wall thing you usually use on theatre shows, which means you could hear other peoples conversations. You only had a conversation with one of them.

They ask EXACTLY what they sent to me on the email. They send you an email a week before but these are the questions they sent me;

Why you want to study Sports and Exercise Science at Leeds?
    Which elements of the course you are looking forward to studying?
    An example of how science has helped improve sport?
    Is it more important to use science to improve sports performance or the health of individuals?
    What are you future career goals?

They advertise it as 10 minuets. Its not even ten minuets. Everyone finished before me and they stopped my interview early, absolutely pathetic.

I couldn't even ask the questions i wanted to ask them.

They didn't even seem that keen. They give offers to everyone anyway. (they even said that) Waste of a day and money travelling down- i do not live near and i am furious- that money came out of my wages (and yes... my train fair was expensive!!!)

Then i went to do my written test. They tell you on the email that if you need extra time or use of a laptop... which i need due to my handwriting and my slow reading comprehensions. DONE EVEN BOTHER EMAILING THEM IF YOU NEED ANY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS.

We were walked to a lecture room. It was so noisy as it was the time people were moving between lectures, so all you could hear were shouts and screams outside. Great.

It was exactly the same as the previous person told me on the student room. what was on it was a study by one of the lecturers, and how they got given funding to proceed the experiment. It was about cardiovascular disease and health implications. You got given a short summary and some more articles on the study. You will be asked to outline the objectives and implications of the study in no more than 500 words.

With my slow reading comprehension and use of a laptop, i spoke to the person who handed out the sheets of paper. I explained my problem and told them i emailed them. She did not even have a clue. She said try my best and write a note at the top. I was furious as i specifically said so on the email. PATHETIC.

it says 30 mins on the task on the email, its not even that. I got given about 15/20 mins of which you spend most of that time reading if you are like me and need special requirements.

Absolutely worthless of a day.

We then had lunch which i did not have any food they provided- it was all taken by the time i got there after my test.

we then went on a lab tour and got given a talk by the motor control lecturer, biomechanist and physiologist. It was okay and probably the best part, but the motor control was exactly the same as the open day (drawing a line in the space around a star in the mirror? and the reaction time stimulus with the lights?

We then got given a lecture which is exactly the same as it was on the open day, and by that point you just want to leave. They try and emphasise their placements etc but in reality they are all coaching jobs. The placement student i spoke to was just an assistant coach. They all seemed to be like that.

Myself, i am interested in research. They even said it was probably a long route and most people don't get there or are successful (which i knew). Some people don't even do anything in relation to their degree they did, most end up in business. I certainly do not want to be a coach for the rest of my life.

As you know, the entry requirements range from AAA-ABB. Basically, i am predicted A*A*A and i got given AAA. This is not because i did bad on my interview or written task- if I'm honest i don't even think they even look at it. I did very well in my interview and they seemed impressed by what i said. Basically, If you have lower grade predictions you are given lower grades. If you have high predictions they give you higher grades, end of. They don't even care about the interview or task.

however they are flexible to some extent on results day.

This was an absolute waste of a day; i will certainly not put leeds down as my firm or insurance. In fact, i am not even doing sports science at all. I am now doing a gap year to study chemistry and physics and applying for vet med/medicine.

Hope that put things into perspective. It will be exactly the same most likely, but as you can tell the only thing i found useful from it was to see how bad it actually was. It was boring, very unprofessional and frankly waste of my money and time. They offer everyone places anyway. they even say that at the start of the day. The interview and written task does not affect your grade offers but make sure you at least have something to say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sammy2012)
    honestly, don't even fret.

Wear smart casual, I wore a pair of smart trousers and a nice jumper with some boots.

It was quite pathetic really. I spoke to someone on the student room prior as we have an interview and a written task. they told me they email you a week prior with questions they will ask and they told me about their written task- it was exactly the same task they had given to them as they had given to me too.

Ill tell you more about how the day went.

You meet in a hall and you will be given name tags and a group number. I was in group 3.

Groups 3 and 4 went for a tour around the university first with two reps from the course. It was way less than the open day and we did not go into any buildings, we only looked around the gym and one prospectus room (of the most expensive accomadations- they did not even mention the less expensive ones)

Waste of time.

Although it was helpful to talk to some of the students there; one was on placement and the other was in third year and he told us some good information about what he did on his course.

We then went in a cafe/ informal room where everyone gathered and chilled for a while before the interview. This took forever. They call you up in groups of 4 people. I was one of the last to be called, and a rep walks you to another building.

This was the pathetic part. We went into a room, with four of the lecturers/ admissions people for sports science. Each had their own desk in the SAME ROOM. we had one lecturer each to be asked questions by. The only thing separating them was a moveable wall thing you usually use on theatre shows, which means you could hear other peoples conversations. You only had a conversation with one of them.

They ask EXACTLY what they sent to me on the email. They send you an email a week before but these are the questions they sent me;

Why you want to study Sports and Exercise Science at Leeds?
    Which elements of the course you are looking forward to studying?
    An example of how science has helped improve sport?
    Is it more important to use science to improve sports performance or the health of individuals?
    What are you future career goals?

They advertise it as 10 minuets. Its not even ten minuets. Everyone finished before me and they stopped my interview early, absolutely pathetic.

I couldn't even ask the questions i wanted to ask them.

They didn't even seem that keen. They give offers to everyone anyway. (they even said that) Waste of a day and money travelling down- i do not live near and i am furious- that money came out of my wages (and yes... my train fair was expensive!!!)

Then i went to do my written test. They tell you on the email that if you need extra time or use of a laptop... which i need due to my handwriting and my slow reading comprehensions. DONE EVEN BOTHER EMAILING THEM IF YOU NEED ANY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS.

We were walked to a lecture room. It was so noisy as it was the time people were moving between lectures, so all you could hear were shouts and screams outside. Great.

It was exactly the same as the previous person told me on the student room. what was on it was a study by one of the lecturers, and how they got given funding to proceed the experiment. It was about cardiovascular disease and health implications. You got given a short summary and some more articles on the study. You will be asked to outline the objectives and implications of the study in no more than 500 words.

With my slow reading comprehension and use of a laptop, i spoke to the person who handed out the sheets of paper. I explained my problem and told them i emailed them. She did not even have a clue. She said try my best and write a note at the top. I was furious as i specifically said so on the email. PATHETIC.

it says 30 mins on the task on the email, its not even that. I got given about 15/20 mins of which you spend most of that time reading if you are like me and need special requirements.

Absolutely worthless of a day.

We then had lunch which i did not have any food they provided- it was all taken by the time i got there after my test.

we then went on a lab tour and got given a talk by the motor control lecturer, biomechanist and physiologist. It was okay and probably the best part, but the motor control was exactly the same as the open day (drawing a line in the space around a star in the mirror? and the reaction time stimulus with the lights?

We then got given a lecture which is exactly the same as it was on the open day, and by that point you just want to leave. They try and emphasise their placements etc but in reality they are all coaching jobs. The placement student i spoke to was just an assistant coach. They all seemed to be like that.

Myself, i am interested in research. They even said it was probably a long route and most people don't get there or are successful (which i knew). Some people don't even do anything in relation to their degree they did, most end up in business. I certainly do not want to be a coach for the rest of my life.

As you know, the entry requirements range from AAA-ABB. Basically, i am predicted A*A*A and i got given AAA. This is not because i did bad on my interview or written task- if I'm honest i don't even think they even look at it. I did very well in my interview and they seemed impressed by what i said. Basically, If you have lower grade predictions you are given lower grades. If you have high predictions they give you higher grades, end of. They don't even care about the interview or task.

however they are flexible to some extent on results day.

This was an absolute waste of a day; i will certainly not put leeds down as my firm or insurance. In fact, i am not even doing sports science at all. I am now doing a gap year to study chemistry and physics and applying for vet med/medicine.

Hope that put things into perspective. It will be exactly the same most likely, but as you can tell the only thing i found useful from it was to see how bad it actually was. It was boring, very unprofessional and frankly waste of my money and time. They offer everyone places anyway. they even say that at the start of the day. The interview and written task does not affect your grade offers but make sure you at least have something to say.
    Thanks for all the information seems like it's going to be a boring and unuseful day. I was hoping to put Leeds as my first choice but I'll have to see what I think on the day.
    I was thinking of taking a gap year as I wanted to travel the world and practice different sports but don't think I'd be able to do that due to lack of money hope you enjoy yours and thank you agin for all the information.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.