Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm mentally scarred from something that happened when I was 15. Watch

Announcements

Basically my mum cheated on my dad, my dad came home and smashed up some of the house. They told me they were going to break up, I cried my eyes out, then after a week of feeling like a ghost they decided to stay together. I can't get this out of my head ever since. It changed who I am, and the weirdest thing is that when my parents have talked to me about it they say "it's probably better" that this happened, as if I needed to know the truth. My dad also told me during the incident that my mum was raped before they met, like I was interested in knowing that?? It's like he thinks that excuses it, that she was traumatised and now she's trying to relive it or something. It was in the newspaper what happened to her, she was abducted and beaten to near death, the guy tied her up, beat her, raped her then for some reason let her go. I really didn't want to know that about my mum.

So basically I am completely mentally ****ed up from all of this! Any advice? I don't think it will ever go away. It turned me from a confident, funny and smart person to a psychotic wreck.
    • TSR Support Team

Moved into mental health.

ReputationRep:
    I'm really sorry to hear that. Knowing something like that about your mum can be really difficult. It's just as difficult for you as it is for her.

Do you think some counselling or therapy would help?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 24, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.