Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

Feeling extremely dejected and fed up recently. Just got to my third assessment centre and was sent home at lunch time along with four other candidates. I have now been rejected from each of the three, two times the company wouldn't offer feedback and said it's not possible for all candidates to get any due to time constraints. I fee like I am positive, research the business well but I can't seem to get past the assessment stage. I have passed assessment centres before (for placement year) yet I can't seem to hack it for Graduate Schemes. Is there something wrong with me and should I give up?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kg00105)
    Go to your University Careers Centre and get some feedback from them. They can discuss what tests you've done, how you interview etc and make suggestions on improvements you can make. The fact you've got to 3 assessment centres suggests you've got something going for your application and 0/3 isn't a failure rate, you should seriously worry if it gets to about 0/10.
    • Very Important Poster

Hi all,

Feeling extremely dejected and fed up recently. Just got to my third assessment centre and was sent home at lunch time along with four other candidates. I have now been rejected from each of the three, two times the company wouldn't offer feedback and said it's not possible for all candidates to get any due to time constraints. I fee like I am positive, research the business well but I can't seem to get past the assessment stage. I have passed assessment centres before (for placement year) yet I can't seem to hack it for Graduate Schemes. Is there something wrong with me and should I give up?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It can be disheartening, but you are doing very well, so there is every reason to be positive. See if your caeers centre offers any training or on video assessments. You should have a good idea where your weak points are, so they are a good starting point. Each time improve, be persistent and patient. Its not a matter of if, but when. you are definitely close.

You dont seem to say what the centres consist of. the tests are easy enough to practice, so the trickier ones are group games. Thats where you need a stragey that hives them waht they want , but fits with your personality. i.e its achievable.

Dont forget its not that you have to have done anything wrong, but other people did more things right. Ofc you shouldnt give up nor should you beat yourself up. Treat yourself this evening, chill out then get ready to put more applications in.

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What has been involved in the assessment centres? What tasks have there been? Mind telling us where they were for?

ReputationRep:
    Aldi, Ocado, Diageo. Diageo I felt I was very close for; Aldi was terrible - I hated the culture there.

Mixture of HR and General Management Programmes. Tests have involved group exercises, interviews and presentations. Thanks guys for your comments!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Aldi, Ocado, Diageo. Diageo I felt I was very close for; Aldi was terrible - I hated the culture there.

Mixture of HR and General Management Programmes. Tests have involved group exercises, interviews and presentations. Thanks guys for your comments!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    OK - what sort of roles are you going for there?

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Can you describe the aldi assessment centre? How did the day go? I assume it was for the area manager role?

ReputationRep:
    It was indeed. Lasted around 2 hours and you seriously need to impress to get through; they have multiple assessment centres per day and will happily not put anyone through to the next stage if you don't meet the criteria. Also, only one assessor who is very stern and so if he/she has a like/dislike for you then there is the potential for bias to arise which can be good or bad.

My other roles I've applied for were HR and General Management.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Echoing above, I would look at your situation in a positive light. 3 assessment centres is no mean feat.

The feeling of rejection will never become easy. I landed my dream job in a fairly prestigious organization which I am thankful for and feel lucky to have - a firm with a high benchmark who are very selective... I've withdrew from or declined assessment centres since but there are times when a random company I'd forgotten about rejects me out of the blue and I start to almost doubt myself!

The key is to know your strengths, be self-aware and continuously improve and push forward. It's about being resilient. You've done well so far; best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    You're applying for big name companies and getting quite far in the process - view this as a good thing.

Obviously tough to get rejected, but you ultimately only need 1 job offer.

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Don't feel down about it. I failed 5 before I got my first offer, and the organisation is far more prestigious than the others. There was one particular one when I thought I performed so well I was almost certain I would get the offer, but got the rejection email the day after. I was more shocked than anything, but also quite bitter. In the feedback they told me I was one of the top performers in all of the tasks but they felt that I was too focused on myself rather than teamwork and therefore wouldn't fit with their culture. Things like these are really subjective and, as in my case, doesn't necessarily mean you did something wrong.

These are very competitive, especially the ones you've applied to and ultimately it may well come down to luck on the day, for example getting a group task that you can comfortably discuss. This was the case when I received my offer, the group exercise was based on something I had read in detail a couple of days beforehand in The Economist and it put me at a significant advantage in the group. Keep your head held high, many people struggle to even make 3 AC's, and also remember resilience is one of the best traits to have; it is something you build, just like any other skill.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 1, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.