The Student Room Group
Original post by swkr
How do televisions work in London?

I know a student has to get a tv liscense. But what happens after that?

I'm not 100% sure what you mean. With your TV license, you can watch TV. If you want more channels, you need to subscribe to a service that provides them like Sky.
Reply 2
Original post by chelseadagg3r
I'm not 100% sure what you mean. With your TV license, you can watch TV. If you want more channels, you need to subscribe to a service that provides them like Sky.

Ah, ok, so, in my country, we don't have the concept of tv licenses. We buy a tv, pay one of the four companies providing satellite connection and voila! you have all the channels available across the country.

Now, I notice that I have to pay 145 for a tv license. What does that entail? What channels will I get? What other channels are available? Do they have cable and satellite? etc etc. :smile:
Original post by swkr
Ah, ok, so, in my country, we don't have the concept of tv licenses. We buy a tv, pay one of the four companies providing satellite connection and voila! you have all the channels available across the country.

Now, I notice that I have to pay 145 for a tv license. What does that entail? What channels will I get? What other channels are available? Do they have cable and satellite? etc etc. :smile:

The 145 is just to allow you to watch tv, you have to pay for the main channels seperately, you will get freeview though
Original post by swkr

So basically the TV license just allows you to watch TV legally. With that, you can watch anything that your TV can show you. If you only have the 5 main channels on it, then you can watch them.If you have a TV with freeview or a freeview box, then you get the freeview channels. You can pay extra for more channels with other subscription services like Sky, Virgin, etc
Reply 5
Original post by chelseadagg3r
So basically the TV license just allows you to watch TV legally. With that, you can watch anything that your TV can show you. If you only have the 5 main channels on it, then you can watch them.If you have a TV with freeview or a freeview box, then you get the freeview channels. You can pay extra for more channels with other subscription services like Sky, Virgin, etc

Thanks for this. A few more follow up questions, if I may.

What are the 5 main channels? What is freeview and free box? How much does one pay Sky and what are those additional channels? (If there's some link where all this info is available, that would be great too. Don't really want you to spend tons of time listing tv channels.)
Original post by swkr

What are the 5 main channels? What is freeview and free box? How much does one pay Sky and what are those additional channels? (If there's some link where all this info is available, that would be great too. Don't really want you to spend tons of time listing tv channels.)

So your main channels
-BBC
-ITV
-Channel 4
-Channel 5
Will be free, this is called "Freeview"

Sky varies massively based on what you want, http://www.sky.com/shop/sky-bundles/#section-2
The basic package starts at £22 then if you want HD/Movies/Sports, ect all of that costs extra
Students don't usually have Sky subscriptions, by the way.
Original post by swkr

Well your main channels are BBC One, BBC Two, ITV, Channel 4, and Channel 5. After that, you can get either a TV with freeview on it or a box with freeview on it that you can plug into your TV to get these channels. That's probably all you'll want as a student. Things like Sky cost quite a lot of money. What channels you get with those subscriptions depend on the packages you sign up for, but can include movie channels, a few American channels, sports channels, and ones that are provided by the subscription service lie Sky Atlantic, Sky One etc. If you find that freeview channels aren't enough, I'd consider a Netflix subscription or something. You can get a lot of extra content for a lot less money
Reply 9
Wow. Freeview gives you quite a lot of channels.

Does it have a channel dedicated to comedy- like Comedy Central- and one for cartoons as well?

And what is MUX?
(edited 7 years ago)

Latest