Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jaska)
    defend the fact i already proved your point wrong? wut
    I said that a Cambridge degree isn't worth more than another degree when it comes to applying for jobs.
    Your counter was to say that Cambridge students do better at the applications ( still yet to see evidence of this btw, but ill take your word for it seeing as it adds no weight to your argument). They may well get a higher emp/SJT , however the degree they obtained isn't worth anymore and gives no advantage on its own.

I'm not sure why you are arguing this, it's a fact that the degree itself isn't any better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jaska)
    Your ego seems to be very invested in the superiority of Cambridge's medical program.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jaska)
    Are you arguing that the teaching is better or that the Oxbridge brand on your CV will give you leverage?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HopelessMedic)
    I said that a Cambridge degree isn't worth more than another degree when it comes to applying for jobs.
    Your counter was to say that Cambridge students do better at the applications ( still yet to see evidence of this btw, but ill take your word for it seeing as it adds no weight to your argument). They may well get a higher emp/SJT , however the degree they obtained isn't worth anymore and gives no advantage on its own.

I'm not sure why you are arguing this, it's a fact that the degree itself isn't any better.
    lol ok mate, you can be a correct on a technicality if that makes you feel any better about yourself.

but the truth is a cambridge degree = cambridge education = higher emp/sjt

"gives no advantage on its own" maybe not in the NHS but im pretty sure in the private sector and applying to jobs outside the uk, a cambridge degree would very much be favourable to a manchester degree for example

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jaska)
    lol ok mate, you can be a correct on a technicality if that makes you feel any better about yourself.

"gives no advantage on its own" maybe not in the NHS but im pretty sure in the private sector and applying to jobs outside the uk, a cambridge degree would very much be favourable to a manchester degree for example
    Not really tbh. The Step exams (USMLE) for US residency positions are entirely independent from whether or not a doctor graduated from oxbridge or not. Granted, the doctor may have been exceptional compared to others to get into oxbridge in the first place, especially for medicine, but past performance is not indicative of future performance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jaska)

Thanks for admitting you were wrong, took a while but at least we got there. It doesn't make me feel any better about myself, because i already knew it was correct long before you reached the same conclusion.

The second part is not necessarily true, correlation does not equal causation ( and again you still yet to provide any evidence, perhaps you made it up?)

Final part may or may not be true, but where you got your degree from is the almost never the deciding factor when it comes to jobs, despite what many people such as yourself wish it was.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jaska)

The majority of the EPM points come from your academic ranking from within the medical school. So Cambridge/Oxford doesn't really have any advantage there, in fact it may be harder to end up in a higher decile in such an academically competitive environment.
    Where they may have the advantage is with publications etc. There may be some argument that there is more of a focus on research at institutions such as this and thus more opporunities to get published at an undergraduate level.

There are always going to be differences between medical schools (more GPs from one school for example, or better performance in post graduate exams), however this does not equate to one being better than another.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HopelessMedic)
    Thanks for admitting you were wrong, took a while but at least we got there. It doesn't make me feel any better about myself, because i already knew it was correct long before you reached the same conclusion.

The second part is not necessarily true, correlation does not equal causation ( and again you still yet to provide any evidence, perhaps you made it up?)

Final part may or may not be true, but where you got your degree from is the almost never the deciding factor when it comes to jobs, despite what many people such as yourself wish it was.
    Box 1 Medical schools recognised by the Singapore Medical Council

College of Life Sciences and Medicine, University of Aberdeen
    Faculty of Medicine, Health, and Life Sciences, Queen’s University of Belfast
    College of Medical and Dental Sciences, University of Birmingham
    Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry, University of Bristol
    School of Clinical Medicine, University of Cambridge
    School of Medicine, Cardiff University
    College of Medicine, Dentistry and Nursing, University of Dundee
    College of Medicine and Veterinary Medicine, University of Edinburgh
    School of Medicine, University of Glasgow
    School of Medicine, University of Leeds
    Department of Medical and Social Care Education, University of Leicester
    School of Medicine, University of Liverpool
    University of London Medical Schools:
    King’s College London School of Medical Education
    Imperial College London School of Medicine
    Barts and The London School of Medicine and Dentistry
    University College London Medical School
    St George’s University of London
    School of Medicine, University of Manchester
    Faculty of Medical Sciences, University of Newcastle
    Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, University of Nottingham
    Oxford University Medical School
    Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health, University of Sheffield
    Faculty of Medicine, University of Southampton
    School of Medicine, University of St Andrews
    College of Medicine, University of Wales

Box 2 Medical schools not recognised by the Singapore Medical Council

Brighton and Sussex Medical School
    University of Exeter Medical School
    School of Medicine, Pharmacy and Health, Durham University
    Hull York Medical School
    School of Medicine, Keele University
    Faculty of Health and Medicine, Lancaster University
    Norwich Medical School, University of East Anglia
    Plymouth University Peninsula Schools of Medicine and Dentistry
    College of Medicine, Swansea University,
    Warwick Medical School, University of Warwick

turns out not all degrees are equal buddy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForestCat)
    The majority of the EPM points come from your academic ranking from within the medical school. So Cambridge/Oxford doesn't really have any advantage there, in fact it may be harder to end up in a higher decile in such an academically competitive environment.
    Where they may have the advantage is with publications etc. There may be some argument that there is more of a focus on research at institutions such as this and thus more opporunities to get published at an undergraduate level.

There are always going to be differences between medical schools (more GPs from one school for example, or better performance in post graduate exams), however this does not equate to one being better than another.
    Also, I think this is only true for those who want to remain in the UK. For medical students who are considering applying abroad, the university they graduated from does matter for most countries, contributing largely to the type of position they gain.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 4, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.