Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can somebody tell me which of these are good universities? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi. I've got offers to study Film Production Technology at Birmingham City, Derby, Staffordshire and Portsmouth. These were the only universities that had a course that suited me.
    I would love to think of Birmingham City as a good university because its such a big place and i'm sure there would be a lot of opportunities there. However its reputation has put me off...

Can anybody tell me what the campus life, nightlife, social, and the educational standards are like at any of these universities? Thank you in advance!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by harringtonw)
    Hi. I've got offers to study Film Production Technology at Birmingham City, Derby, Staffordshire and Portsmouth. These were the only universities that had a course that suited me.
    I would love to think of Birmingham City as a good university because its such a big place and i'm sure there would be a lot of opportunities there. However its reputation has put me off...

Can anybody tell me what the campus life, nightlife, social, and the educational standards are like at any of these universities? Thank you in advance!
    whack

ReputationRep:
    Go there and find out for yourself. That's the best thing to do

ReputationRep:
    I don't really have the spare time to visit all of them. I would like to visit two but i would like to have a general idea of what these universities are like before i choose two
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hey there! I'm a current 3rd Year student at Staffordshire University, and I'm more than happy to help. I mean generally for student experience the SU here has everything covered, and there are lots of different societies and sports clubs for whatever you are interested in. Wherever you end up, I would recommend joining up to a couple during your first week, as it is a pretty easy way of meeting new, like-minded people.

The nights on campus at the SU bar are split between Wednesdays and Fridays. Fridays are your standard nights out with fortnightly guest DJs or music performances, and Wednesdays are the fancy dress/theme nights with pretty cheesy music (which are my not so guilty pleasure!)

For my course, I have had very little problems with the academic side of things, and if there ever is an issue, the university make a point of listening to students so as to make improvements to the course. I know a few people who do film production/film-related courses, and they seem to enjoy them, and are happy with the tech and facilities on hand for them to use on their projects.

If there is anything else you want to know, just give me a shout. Hope this helped!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StaffsUniDrew)
    Hey there! I'm a current 3rd Year student at Staffordshire University, and I'm more than happy to help. I mean generally for student experience the SU here has everything covered, and there are lots of different societies and sports clubs for whatever you are interested in. Wherever you end up, I would recommend joining up to a couple during your first week, as it is a pretty easy way of meeting new, like-minded people.

The nights on campus at the SU bar are split between Wednesdays and Fridays. Fridays are your standard nights out with fortnightly guest DJs or music performances, and Wednesdays are the fancy dress/theme nights with pretty cheesy music (which are my not so guilty pleasure!)

For my course, I have had very little problems with the academic side of things, and if there ever is an issue, the university make a point of listening to students so as to make improvements to the course. I know a few people who do film production/film-related courses, and they seem to enjoy them, and are happy with the tech and facilities on hand for them to use on their projects.

If there is anything else you want to know, just give me a shout. Hope this helped!
    Thank you this is just what I wanted to hear! Can I ask what campus you are on and what is the night life like away from campus?
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Thank you this is just what I wanted to hear! Can I ask what campus you are on and what is the night life like away from campus?
    No problem! The university is predominately on the Stoke Campus, and while there are a couple courses still in the Stafford area (like Nursing and Midwifery), there was a major transition of courses and facilities from Stafford to Stoke. So you will likely be over on the Stoke campus where I am now!

While I don't usually go off campus much when it comes to night life, the few times I have done have been pretty great. There are a variety of different clubs that offer different styles/genres (R&B, top 40, alternative/rock, gay/LGBT friendly) depending on what you're interested in, that is just a 5 minute taxi journey away. Bi-annually there is the Carnage event where you buy a t-shirt that acts as your ticket to get into a number of places all on one night, and it's definitely a night to remember. Going into town is going to be a bit more expensive in terms of getting there and drinks, compared to campus, but the student nights usually offer deals or offers. It's really down to your interests and your bank balance!
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    I don't really have the spare time to visit all of them. I would like to visit two but i would like to have a general idea of what these universities are like before i choose two
    I'd be wary of accepting an offer to any film production course that didn't invite you to interview before making you an offer...that implies they have no filter on creative levels for their students (and given that a film production degree will involve a LOT of group work to produce films that means you could be working with a lot of people who don't really know what they're doing).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.