Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Truth About Eggs watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Corbynista)
    What are you talking about?
    Sorry, I forgot you were a vegan for a minute there...

ReputationRep:
    Maybe some people will be fine with that but would you eat a women's period? If not then why are you eating a hens period?
    if I could no longer get my eggs from hens, sure.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Chickens don't menstruate, they aren't even mammals.

ReputationRep:
    Plants don't have nervous systems and therefore can't feel pain like animals can. Anyway this thread is about eggs not plants.
    As another astute observer mentioned, eggs dont have a nervous system either.

I'm interested in the whole "plant pain" thing, it seems to be the lynchpin of every veganists arguments, but is there actually any proof or biological study that proves plants dont feel some kind of pain? (and Im talking interdimensional pain here, we cant consider that plants will feel animal like pain, thats why theyre in a different... phylem? or family? cant remember.)

Is pain really the reason why people are vegan? Im not saying that's not a noble reason, but it is very subjective and therefore open to interpretation and nuance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SinsNotTragedies)
    They are extremely necessary for some people - it is especially remarkable that while eggs are low in calories for a filling meal, they are packed with vitamins and minerals. Just one example, when cooked, biotin is an important vitamin eggs provide - ensuring healthy hair, skin and nails.

If it is so wrong to eat eggs why do they provide such an abundance of nutrition that really helps people live a healthy lifestyle?

Chickens don't particularly mind, and will try to eat the eggs themselves where they can. You can't say the same for a human woman.

One poster already pointed out how they are not periods.

'Not necessary' means nothing. It is an easy and tasty source of multiple vitamins, as I have already said.

They aren't really as icky as it would be to cook a human's waste during menstruation, besides, you can't compare it as they are not the same thing.
    From my experience on a farm, you need to tend to bleeding chickens quickly as the rest of the chickens will literally "see red" and peck them to death. Ive never met a vegan chicken...

ReputationRep:
    Pain and mistreatment of the animals is one reason why people are vegan, if you have the time I would recommend watching the whole video I posted in my original post. Another reason why people are vegan is assuming you don't just eat a lot of crap, vegan diets tend to be a lot healthier.

Regarding plant pain, I am not a Botany however this article makes the same argument I do regarding plants lacking the nervous system and brain required in order to feel pain.
    Cool thanks, Ill check them out at some point. (exams on monday!)

ReputationRep:
    Chickens don't particularly mind, and will try to eat the eggs themselves where they can.
    That isn't entirely true. Chickens tend to only eat their eggs (and sometimes each other) due to a lack of vitamin D or calcium.

Source: My Poultry Husbandry lectures.

ReputationRep:
    The insides of eggs are icky... it seems people are happy to have one rule for animals and another for humans.
    Erm yeah, people are surprisingly grossed out by the concept of eating parts of other people. Wholda thunk it?

ReputationRep:
    Oh god its the guy who said we don't naturally meat even though we are classed as omnivores (go look at the cambridge dictionary k thnx bye) and hunted animals before we started farming practices.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Willy Pete)
    That isn't entirely true. Chickens tend to only eat their eggs (and sometimes each other) due to a lack of vitamin D or calcium.

Source: My Poultry Husbandry lectures.
    Yeah that is true - I didn't make clear that 'where they can' was referring to deficiency. I remember having to adapt the diet of my pets when they were displaying signs of deficiency and I gave them eggshells.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by l'etranger)
    You would go down on a woman on her period right?
    Have you not gotten your, " Red Wings "?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oldercon1953)
    Have you not gotten your, " Red Wings "?
    I'm so happy someone else knows about this.

Spoiler:
    Show

I got my red wings at the same time I got my black wins tbh :angelblush:

ReputationRep:
    it seems people are happy to have one rule for animals and another for humans.
    Uh, well yeah. For instance, it's generally considered more socially acceptable to serve a joint of beef for dinner than a joint of person. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that is true - I didn't make clear that 'where they can' was referring to deficiency. I remember having to adapt the diet of my pets when they were displaying signs of deficiency and I gave them eggshells.
    Giving them eggshells actually increases the behaviour. It is better to remove the eggs as soon as possible and ensure they are getting the correct diet.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Willy Pete)
    Giving them eggshells actually increases the behaviour. It is better to remove the eggs as soon as possible and ensure they are getting the correct diet.
    Is that the case universally though? I've just searched and a lot of people actually recommend feeding poultry their own eggshells, provided they are crushed so that they can be discerned from eggs in their laid form. It didn't tempt my poultry to eat their own eggs subsequently. :dontknow:

Though you are right, the diet should also be adapted - and the shell used merely as a supplement for deficient hens.

What about oyster shell, how is this different and is it preferable?

ReputationRep:
    I've had my fair share of eggs. Never really liked 'em. But I've never tried to justify it with pseudoscientific ********.

ReputationRep:
    Is that the case universally though? I've just searched and a lot of people actually recommend feeding poultry their own eggshells, provided they are crushed so that they can be discerned from eggs in their laid form. It didn't tempt my poultry to eat their own eggs subsequently. :dontknow:

Though you are right, the diet should also be adapted - and the shell used merely as a supplement for deficient hens.

What about oyster shell, how is this different and is it preferable?
    i can only comment from an agricultural stand point which looks at flocks presumably far larger than your flock.

ReputationRep:
    We look nothing like omnivores or carnivores. We look like gorillas, elephants, cows, etc. Compare our teeth (specifically K9s) to animals like cats, dogs, etc. What is the difference? They have sharper teeth because they mainly swallow food whereas we chew and grind it.
    Dogs are omnivores like us (they literally evolved to eat what we eat) and do chew
    https://youtu.be/DaxkI_75c-8?t=111

If you compare our teeth to gorillas and cows, you'll see we're somewhere inbetween, withouth the huge canines of gorillas but also without the broad, flat incisors of cows.
    We look like omnivores inside too, we have the intermediate intestinal length.

ReputationRep:
    WARNING: Some viewers may find this disturbing.

Spoiler:
    Show

Skip to 28:54

For those who do not wish to watch the explanation on the video, I shall explain here. So in order to know what an egg that is laid by a chicken is how about we look at humans and in particular women..

In order for a women to have a child, a women's egg and males sperm must be combined, when a women is not having a child they have a period once a month or there abouts. When a women has a period that is there body disposing off an unfertilised egg.

So now back to hen eggs, you know the ones so many people eat. So what is a hen egg, well it is an unfertilised egg which is also known as a period. So when you are eating hen eggs, when you boil them or scramble them or whatever you do with them, you are eating a hens period.

Maybe some people will be fine with that but would you eat a women's period? If not then why are you eating a hens period?

I like eggs for breakfast occasionally. I wouldn't eat a woman's period because I'm not into fishy-smelling blood.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.