Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I've been suffering with depression for 4 years now and been on medication for almost 3. I have also been struggling with anorexia nervous for a number of years as well and have recently relapsed quite badly.

Last week I was in hospital two times for overdosing and almost got sectioned. I've spent every moment since then thinking about it and everyone keeps asking me if I will admit myself to the psych ward as a voluntary patient but I can't do that.

I know it's not going to be an easy journey but I just want it to be over. I'm seeing a psychologist in a couple of weeks and starting some work with uni and they are talking about the possibility of being rediagnosed and in all honesty it's freaking me out and sending me into a huge panic.

My eating is getting a lot worse and I feel physically awful - dizzy, light-headed and sick all the time. I've been prescribed supplements once before and am considering asking for more because solid food is scaring me too much and I don't want to be told that I have to leave university. But in all honestly I feel like that might be my only option because I'm not coping very well with it at the moment.

I don't know what to do. Part of me thinks I should admit myself until I can keep myself safe, but the whole idea scares me too much

ReputationRep:
    Having experienced both depression and anorexia nervosa myself, I would suggest to you that the bit of you that is considering admitting yourself to start getting the help you need and to keep safe, is the RATIONAL part of you. Please listen to it. University will still be there regardless, but your health must come first.

Of course voluntarily going in will be scary- this is exactly why you need to do it. Don't every be angry with yourself for this situation- see it for what it truly is. It is the illnesses alone that have caused you to need this admission and "forced your hand". Allow yourself to be helped out of this trap xx
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I've been suffering with depression for 4 years now and been on medication for almost 3. I have also been struggling with anorexia nervous for a number of years as well and have recently relapsed quite badly.

Last week I was in hospital two times for overdosing and almost got sectioned. I've spent every moment since then thinking about it and everyone keeps asking me if I will admit myself to the psych ward as a voluntary patient but I can't do that.

I know it's not going to be an easy journey but I just want it to be over. I'm seeing a psychologist in a couple of weeks and starting some work with uni and they are talking about the possibility of being rediagnosed and in all honesty it's freaking me out and sending me into a huge panic.

My eating is getting a lot worse and I feel physically awful - dizzy, light-headed and sick all the time. I've been prescribed supplements once before and am considering asking for more because solid food is scaring me too much and I don't want to be told that I have to leave university. But in all honestly I feel like that might be my only option because I'm not coping very well with it at the moment.

I don't know what to do. Part of me thinks I should admit myself until I can keep myself safe, but the whole idea scares me too much
    I think it could be helpful for you to voluntarily admit yourself. I know you are scared and you have every reason to be, but I think being in an environment focused on recovery will be good for you. I guess you could feel like admitting yourself is like giving up in some way or like you're loosing control of your life by going to a place you will be cared for, but it's not like that. You're taking a brave step and doing something difficult to help yourself. Having the guts to do that is pretty impressive.

If you think you can manage two weeks you could discuss it with your psych. You could also call to see if you can get a sooner appointment. I think you're at a point now that you could do with people to handle all the simple stuff for you and look out for you a bit so you can tackle the big issues. You've done so well to make it this far so with that bit of help hopefully you can make some really good progress.

You've already been in hospital twice and have people talking about admittance so it's only a matter of time before something like being sectioned or getting hurt happens. It would be a lot better if you go yourself and have the time to prepare yourself a bit. You can make sure you have what you want to take, ask about the situation so you know a bit more about what to expect and know that you made the tough decision and that any progress you make there is all yours. You took control of your life and you did what you needed to to keep yourself safe and get better.

As for uni, if you stay while you're struggling like this there is no way you can reach your potential. It's better to take things one at a time, sort out your health now and go back to uni later. You can talk to your student support about the best way to do it, but I know you can take medical leave so you can go do what you need to and have your place saved for you when you get back.
    I had to take a break from uni and it was a tough choice, but I was so much better off taking the time out so I was ready. If I had stayed and tried to deal with it all it would have all ended in disaster.

I know this is a really tough place to be, but you are strong and you can do it. Remember if you are struggling you can call samaritans, 111 or 999 and that your health and well-being is the most important thing. You deserve to be happy and well so do what you can to get yourself there and don't be afraid to lean on people.
    I don't have much experience with anything like sectioning or anorexia, but you can always PM me if you need somebody to talk to.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 21, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.