Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Am I allowed to use a highlighter to underline key things in questions in exams? Watch

I want to know if I can use a highlighter in my GCSE exams to underline key things in questions because this helps me stay focused to the question if that makes sense?

ReputationRep:
    Of course not!
    And don't you dare think about moving a muscle in the exam, or even looking around, or even breathing!

ReputationRep:
    You can, you can't write in a highlighter as it won't be picked up properly when it's photocopied

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by Dvizex)
    You can, you can't write in a highlighter as it won't be picked up properly when it's photocopied

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks I mean just use it t highlight key parts of the question not to use it on the answer lines. Are you sure that this is ok to do? and will it get scanned ok without any problems?
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JackT2000)
    I want to know if I can use a highlighter in my GCSE exams to underline key things in questions because this helps me stay focused to the question if that makes sense?
    Yes, just don't highlight your own writing as it won't show up when the paper is scanned.

(Original post by Dvizex)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Is it ok to do something like this below?

I highlighted the line on the diagram so that I can clearly see what I'm supposed to be looking at.

And say in English can I highlight text in extracts?

Name:  IMG_0344.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  499.5 KB
    • Very Important Poster

Yes its fine, dont worry.

Are students permitted to use a highlighter pen?

Highlighter pens may be used by candidates to mark up the question paper if that is the way they have been taught. Highlighters must not be used on the candidates answer scripts.

(Original post by 999tigger)
    Yes its fine, dont worry.

Are students permitted to use a highlighter pen?

Highlighter pens may be used by candidates to mark up the question paper if that is the way they have been taught. Highlighters must not be used on the candidates answer scripts.
    So on maths papers I can highlight diagrams and parts of the question but not my final answer on the dotted line?
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by JackT2000)
    So on maths papers I can highlight diagrams and parts of the question but not my final answer on the dotted line?
    Correct.

Name:  pen.PNG
Views: 79
Size:  7.1 KB

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.