Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Whats wrong with the new maths GCSE? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand.
    I go to a grammar school and we took our mocks.
    We did the edexcel HIGHER specimen papers and they were so difficult. For a grammar school a grade 7 ( an A) was 54% which is absolutely ridiculous and so I want to know how other people are doing and what they got if you have done the same paper because just how low could the actual grade boundaries get...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DASDW213)
    I don't understand.
    We did the edexcel HIGHER specimen papers and they were so difficult. For a grammar school a grade 7 ( an A) was 54% which is absolutely ridiculous and so I want to know how other people are doing and what they got if you have done the same paper because just how low could the actual grade boundaries get...?
    The grade boundaries move up and down every year based on previous results.
    If last years results were very high, it looks like the exam was easy so the boundaries increase for next year and if people don't do as well, it decreases again to try and create some balance

If its high for you, then you got unlucky lol

ReputationRep:
    Wtf yours is so low.
    For us, it's like 70 for a 7.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I go to a state school and I took my mocks a few months ago. I also do Edexcel Higher Maths, and the papers were horrific. Everyone who also did it also agreed with me.
    The grade boundary for a 7 in my school was 60%. Obviously, nobody knows if the grade boundaries we receive for the mocks are exact as no one knows what the grade boundaries will be, so I'm just going to concentrate on improving my actual marks, rather than focussing on the grades because I don't think that the mock grades are a real representation, however the marks are.
    Hope this helps
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DASDW213)
    I don't understand.
    That sounds reasonable to me. 50% of the paper tests grades 4, 5 and 6 and 50% of the paper tests grades 7, 8 and 9. You are not expected to get everything correct so half marks for a 7 is in the right ballpark. No-one will know for sure until August of course.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FLORA2001)
    Obviously, nobody knows if the grade boundaries we receive for the mocks are exact as no one knows what the grade boundaries will be, so I'm just going to concentrate on improving my actual marks
    Very sensible.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carthaginian)
    Wtf yours is so low.
    For us, it's like 70 for a 7.
    Sounds like your teacher isn't very well-informed!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    Sounds like your teacher isn't very well-informed!
    Surely wasn't.
    fig 1: the set 1 class that i'm in:
    Name:  wahtthehell.png
Views: 83
Size:  72.6 KB
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Surely wasn't.
    35% for a 4 is daft as these papers are clearly more difficult than the previous specification and you didn't often need 35% for a C in the past (Ofqual are promising the percentage who get a 4 and above will be the same as the percentage who got a C and above in 2016 all things being equal).

ReputationRep:
    At my school a 7 was 60% but only a handful of people in the top set actually got a 7 which has sent the maths department into a massive panic. I'm in bottom set higher tier (Maths is really not my strong point) But I got a 4 with a few others and only a couple of people in my class got a 5 whilst the rest failed!

The papers were SO hard but seeing that other schools are also struggling makes me think that they'll lower the grade boundaries more than they usually would.

ReputationRep:
    Surely wasn't.
    Very unlikely that this will be the grade boundaries.
    Realistically, it should be 150 for a 7, 180 for a 8, 210 for a 9.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FLORA2001)
    Hi, I go to a state school and I took my mocks a few months ago. I also do Edexcel Higher Maths, and the papers were horrific. Everyone who also did it also agreed with me.
    The grade boundary for a 7 in my school was 60%. Obviously, nobody knows if the grade boundaries we receive for the mocks are exact as no one knows what the grade boundaries will be, so I'm just going to concentrate on improving my actual marks, rather than focussing on the grades because I don't think that the mock grades are a real representation, however the marks are.
    Hope this helps
    This is definitely one of the best bits of advice I've ever seen on TSR

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Surely wasn't.
    Am I reading this correct? This is a Set 1 class where everyone except one person received a U in their mocks?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by notnek)
    Am I reading this correct? This is a Set 1 class where everyone except one person received a U in their mocks?
    Correct. Sets lower than ours had grades higher than the ones we had.
    Our ofsted scores are very low, and rank really low as a school in the town. However, we haven't really studied a lot of the full specification of edexcel maths (as many people currently doing their mocks have), and if people don't get at least a scale 4 in the next mocks (in march), they're doing foundation automatically.

ReputationRep:
    Surely wasn't.
    Wow that's high boi

ReputationRep:
    Haha just seen this now, thanks!
    (Original post by gdunne42)
    This is definitely one of the best bits of advice I've ever seen on TSR

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    35% For a 4 come on, this cannot be right... Especially with them rocket science type questions.

everything is wrong with it

ReputationRep:
      The new spec maths GCSE in Wales resulted in only 46% of people passing GCSE Maths, when prior, it was around 65%.
      First results in new-look maths GCSEs in Wales http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-38676729

RIP Y11

Note: Wales still use the A*-U system, but have made achieving each grade harder

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by imzeman)
      35% For a 4 come on, this cannot be right... Especially with them rocket science type questions.
      One school local to me has set the 4 boundary at 18% for the same papers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.