Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are 21st century Liberals actually Liberal? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anarchism101)
    They likely would have done, yes, but that's in no way a defence of the electoral college.
    Both sides of the political argument get to decide in theory on changes to the voting system e.g. Proportional representation so it's not really right to say it favours one side or the other.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Objectivism2017)
    Both sides of the political argument get to decide in theory on changes to the voting system e.g. Proportional representation so it's not really right to say it favours one side or the other.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    i) I wouldn't really consider both major US parties to be equivalent to "both sides of the political argument".
    ii) That doesn't follow. Whether it favours one side is empirically testable, independent of who supports it.
    iii) I'm not so much arguing that the electoral college has an inherent bias (though it does have a bias towards smaller states), simply that it isn't particularly democratic. If the president were chosen by flipping a coin, it wouldn't favour either major party, but that wouldn't make it democratic.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.